What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Autobiography of a Yogi

by Paramhansa Yogananda

Not for the weak minded.. First step to self enlightenment!

Read it thrice already... My outlook on life has dramatically changed!!

suggest it to everyone.

While working this job for some book selling dude, I liberated "Metaphysical Meditations" by said author. Heavy stuff..

And some of you might dig this: http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/01/19/lost-in-the-shelves/

While working this job for some book selling dude, I liberated "Metaphysical Meditations" by said author. Heavy stuff..

And some of you might dig this: http://blog.flickr.net/en/2010/01/19/lost-in-the-shelves/

Autobiography of a Yogi

by Paramhansa Yogananda

Not for the weak minded.. First step to self enlightenment!

Read it thrice already... My outlook on life has dramatically changed!!

suggest it to everyone.

found it online for free... Here's a link to my favorite chapter.... Tell me what u guys think...

http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap14.html

Has an image of "the road"

come up on everyone of the pages of this thread since the movie came out?

I somehow didn't even know a movie had been made until I got the book and saw Viggo Mortensen on the cover.

Banana Fishd, google "david foster wallace consider the lobster" and click the second link, which is a PDF version of an article he wrote for Gourmet Magazine. The first link is a link to the article also, but Wallace uses footnotes often, and really well, so they're worth reading immediately rather than at the end of the article, making the pdf format better imo.

Also, here here is a commencement speech he gave at Kenyon College in 2005 that they turned into a small book post-mortem. Pretty inspiring stuff.

Both of these obviously are non-fiction, but he also wrote fiction, none of which I have read yet. I hear it's really rewarding but really dense stuff.

But I'm way way into his non-fiction, reading it is like witnessing an incredibly creative and critical mind running at full speed.

• Like 1

David Foster Wallace is amazing but I'm a little intimidated by Infinite Jest. His writing can get a little dense/verbose and I'm not anxious to crack open 1000+ pages of that. This from someone who re-reads Dostoyevsky.

I just read A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, it was pretty good. For those who want to get into DFW I would suggest checking out the stories "Good Old Neon" (from Oblivion) and "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men" (all of em, but especially the last 'interview'). Dude is easily one of the very best recent authors of fiction.

• Like 1