What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

choke is decent, but i'll add to the chorus, he's overrated.

i recently read haunted and after slaughtering all those classics last year, it was like reading a tabloid.

and i dunno, the road was a great book. i AM enjoying blood meridian more now that i've gotten into it.

293916594_sak_and_jase_tmc1.jpg.deb106c69f7f31f78c005cd47e1e250c.jpg

i AM enjoying blood meridian more now that i've gotten into it.

don't give up! it's so worth it. my favorite mccarthy, so far.

palahniuk is totally overrated. In the same vein, I think delillo is kind of over hyped as well. But I read White Noise a pretty long time ago, so.

Reading Denis Johnson's Tree Of Smoke. Did this really come out in 2007??? People are still writing epic novels about Vietnam? s'crazy to me.

Guest YEAHMANWORD
WHO CAN GIVE ME A GOOD HISTORICAL FICTION BOOK TO READ.

(CAPITAL LETTERS TO GET ATTENTION, BECAUSE I WOULD LIKE A GOOD BOOK TO READ)

PREFERABLY ABOUT JAPAN, OR WWII, OR ANY ANCIENT BATTLES/RULERS (I FUX WITH WHATEVER)

Not about Japan or WWII, but definitely a good historical fiction book. I started it a few days ago and haven't been able to put it down. Almost through & I don't want it to end.

forever-by-pete_hamill1.jpg

Just finished these

You Can't Win by Jack Black (not the actor) Fucking great book. Autobiographical account of hopping freights all around the post civil war country, becoming a house burglar, prison, people on the road, jail breaks, travel, falling in with a honorable band of thieves - a funny, informative and entertaining look into a part of American history you won't readily find.

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy. Super quick read, not as wide a scope as his other work - and while he is still one of my favorite authors - this book is forgettable.

In the Rogue Blood by James Carlos Blake. Book felt like a bootleg Blood Meridian. Played up violence without the exploration into human nature. Army, Mexers, Indians, scalp hunting, whores, drinking and murder. If you like historical fiction and westerns it's worth picking up.

Palahniuk has written some great books. Fight Club is just plain righteous, I thought it was a super pointed cultural critique on consumerism/materialism. Survivor was great as well, in the same vein. The rest of his work that I've read has been hit or miss - Rant and Lullaby were pretty rad stories while Diary and Choke didn't resonate the same way. He definitely relies on the same tricks to make his work edgy and superficially interesting but often it lacks the substance to hold it up.

breath_1806.jpg

Australian Author

I satrted this weeks ago and got three pages into before deciding I didn't like it

then I picked up last night and before I knew I'd read nearly 150 pages.

Don't really want it to finish but I'll probably ahve doen it by tomorrow morning on my train to work...

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21279/21279-h/21279-h.htm

Here is a link to Vonnegut's 2BR02B

While downloading books to phone I came across this short story. I originally thought it was a novel, so when it ended it ended with an outburst of NOOOOOOOO!

I just finished Kipling's Man Who Would Be King, also a timeless movie I very much enjoy. It took me on a great many emotions towards the end. I recommend reading it if you have a few minutes to spare.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext05/8king10h.htm

Although I love the convenience of downloading books and my wallet thanks me every time I open up Stanza instead of reaching for dollars, I miss the tangible thing about books. Oh technology.

Man in the Dark by Paul Auster. It's ok. So far, in both the books of his I've read, he has mentioned 9/11 like 4 times? kind of annoying.

Also, I've realized that I remember a book for like a week and then completely forget it. Unless I read it two, three times. I'm sad about it, it makes me feel fucking stupid.

Man in the Dark by Paul Auster. It's ok. So far, in both the books of his I've read, he has mentioned 9/11 like 4 times? kind of annoying.

You need to check out his New York Trilogy... 3 novellas packed together. Minimally read "City of Glass". His pre 9-11 stuff is a lot better, I think, and this falls right in there with the best of it.

don't give up! it's so worth it. my favorite mccarthy, so far.

palahniuk is totally overrated. In the same vein, I think delillo is kind of over hyped as well. But I read White Noise a pretty long time ago, so.

Reading Denis Johnson's Tree Of Smoke. Did this really come out in 2007??? People are still writing epic novels about Vietnam? s'crazy to me.

nah, i don't give up on books.

Infinite Jest is the only onie i have and have not finished. i tried it twice. so dense.

plus it [blood meridian] continues to draw me in, i'm really getting into it now that the characters are being developed more. it has such a sinister undertone to it. and without being graphic. great stuff.

and yeah, people are writing about everything. still. ha

Rum Diaries was good. I used to recycle old books and

rescued a first edition of The Godfater. Never read it and

picked it up last night for the first time. i tried reading

Omerta some time back and didnt much care for it it but

The Godfather is pretty sweet.

I measure the quality of a book by how long it takes me to

read it. I do read pretty often and noticed that some books i

fly through. Doesn't necessarily mean they are bad books but

something that is truly remarkable i suppose i savor the text

more. For example. Someone like John Grisham or James

Patterson may take me 4 or 5 hours and im done with it. I

must enjoy them because i wont hesitate to

read one but this Puzo book. i sat down for 2 hours last night

and got thru 50 pages. And its not like its difficult reading.