gun thread

2 minutes ago, Qawee said:

Makes sense. I was kinda apprehensive about holosun at first as well being made in China and all, but stuff I've read recently has me looking hard at them. I get the Gucci factor, always looks weird to see guys running $150 red dots on kac guns 😂

They seem to have a great warranty so probably fine but I haven’t cut corners on the rest of it, so not going to do so on the optic. Already have twice the cost of an RMR with the setup on there now anyways. 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Just now, Qawee said:

Have you had a chance to run it at all yet? I still have not fired my 300 build but found myself with ~500 rounds of s&b subs so I hope to get out this week or next 

Yeah, I’ve probably pushed about 500 rounds through it. Insanely accurate considering how short the barrel is. I’m trying my best to get out and shoot steel once a week or so. Mainly shooting my AR and my EDC G17 since I have plenty of ammo for both and 300BLK wasn’t all that cheap before all the Covid shit. Just got all my reloading kit setup again so planning to roll my own. Have a Noveske 300BLK pistol build I’m thinking of reworking into a copy of their Ghetto Blaster, but no time or money right now. 

8 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Yeah, I’ve probably pushed about 500 rounds through it. Insanely accurate considering how short the barrel is. I’m trying my best to get out and shoot steel once a week or so. Mainly shooting my AR and my EDC G17 since I have plenty of ammo for both and 300BLK wasn’t all that cheap before all the Covid shit. Just got all my reloading kit setup again so planning to roll my own. Have a Noveske 300BLK pistol build I’m thinking of reworking into a copy of their Ghetto Blaster, but no time or money right now. 

No doubt, I started in an ipsc league like 2 weeks prior to covid hitting, i havent been shooting since February but i just joined a private outdoor club so I should be able to get some more practice time in. Wolf was supposed to come out with steel 300 rounds but i don't think those ever landed unfortunately 

4 minutes ago, Qawee said:

No doubt, I started in an ipsc league like 2 weeks prior to covid hitting, i havent been shooting since February but i just joined a private outdoor club so I should be able to get some more practice time in. Wolf was supposed to come out with steel 300 rounds but i don't think those ever landed unfortunately 

Order some snap caps off Amazon and put a half hour a day (or longer if you can spare it) into dry firing. Not the same, but you’ll still get a lot out of it. You can definitely practice transitioning and reloads, as well as burn your trigger pulls into muscle memory. 

• Props 1

*Not sure I’d run steel case through a nice gun. Too dirty and probably less accurate than standard plinking rounds. Look into reloading. You’ll pay for the equipment quick if you’re shooting much 300BLK, especially if you have access to .223 brass. Primers are hard to find right now though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, the.crooked said:

Optics questions for folks.

I have an astigmatism, so red dot feels out. I've been planning on getting PA's 1x6 FFP w/ ACSS reticle and running offset irons, but I'm now thinking about the PA Cyclops with a magnifier with inline backup irons.

Thoughts?

I have the same eye issue, but not all red dots are affected by that. There’s three primary red dot types and the holographic ones are most affected. Try a reflex site. 

Not sure I’d run irons offset. Generally irons are for pushing out so offsetting them doesn’t make as much sense to me as offsetting an RMR that’s built for rapid target acquisition so likely closed in. Guess you can’t co-witness under magnification and also probably unlikely your optic would fail so kind of a tough one. Personally I’d prefer to run a magnifier behind a red dot than run permanent magnification, but I suppose it’s a matter of your intention with that gun and the distance your planning to run most your shots at.  

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 4:59 PM, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Gun dudes. I am looking into utilizing what's left of my second amendment rights . Now that I know the redneck asshole shop owner was just being a prick about my record disabling my ability to purchase.  According to extensive research nothing on my record should fail my application, and anything over 7 years wouldn't flag anyways. No violent crimes, no drugs, duis, or domestics.  I haven't been bagged since 2012. 

Hoping to find some direction. Here are some things I want a firearm for. 

- home/self protection

- duck/goose hunting

- future potential civil war ?

I most likely already know the ideal firearm for these things but what brands, budgets(reasonable affordable), purchase locations? Online vs. local gunstores? 

Used to run a gun shop before the Army;  any felony/prohibitive offense on your record will flag regardless of how old. We had dudes get denied and further hemmed up because of a DUI from the 90s they forgot about. Also when we would get a denial for someone, it didn't tell us why. Even if we called the PICS line (PA instant check system, supported by NICS) They wouldn't/couldn't tell us.   Now also as an FFL we had a right and were encouraged to gauge the situation and make a call regardless of what the check says. If you didn't pass a vibe check we could just say your shit was denied, we weren't required to sell you a gun if we didn't want to. so that's probably what Fudd ass Leroy is on your shit about. Fudds love that excuse because they're afraid of anyone younger than themselves.  

Above all else, fuck gun laws. Fuck 12. Buy a lower or off the shelf AR from a person to person sale and build a AR of your liking.  Buy poly 80 glock lowers and build your own glock. Train with them and keep them a secret. There's always a way. 

• Props 2

Finished:

153336920_ImagefromiOS(28).thumb.jpg.16534b9e22751b1b2407fa2558ca3baf.jpg

It finished a little different than I expected, but mostly due to me wanting to finish/cost:

• aero 16" barrel with 15" s-one atlas handguard
  • bravo company VFG
  • aero m4e1 lower
  • cryptic coating bcg blem (i couldn't find what the blem was)
  • larue mbt 2 stage curved bow trigger
  • larue lpk
  • magpul gen 1.1 grip
  • magpul ctr with Larue RISR and enhanced butt pad
  • armaglock gen4 with kingpin
  • enhanced buffer tube with h2 buffer (instead of jp silent)
  • primary arms 1-6x24mm LPVO SFP
  • midwest industries qd mount (this thing is awesome)
  • magpul 10rnd mags with rjk coupler replacing the baseplates

Not pictured is the surefire warden/warcomp that's on order, and no BUIS yet.

Whole thing sure wasn't cheap to build, and I still need a few last things. But, it's functional, and I'm takin it out potentially this weekend time permitting.

Edited by the.crooked
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, the.crooked said:

Finished:

153336920_ImagefromiOS(28).thumb.jpg.16534b9e22751b1b2407fa2558ca3baf.jpg

It finished a little different than I expected, but mostly due to me wanting to finish/cost:

• aero 16" barrel with 15" s-one atlas handguard
  • bravo company VFG
  • aero m4e1 lower
  • cryptic coating bcg blem (i couldn't find what the blem was)
  • larue mbt 2 stage curved bow trigger
  • larue lpk
  • magpul gen 1.1 grip
  • magpul ctr with Larue RISR and enhanced butt pad
  • armaglock gen4 with kingpin
  • enhanced buffer tube with h2 buffer (instead of jp silent)
  • primary arms 1-6x24mm LPVO SFP
  • midwest industries qd mount (this thing is awesome)
  • magpul 10rnd mags with rjk coupler replacing the baseplates

Not pictured is the surefire warden/warcomp that's on order, and no BUIS yet.

Whole thing sure wasn't cheap to build, and I still need a few last things. But, it's functional, and I'm takin it out potentially this weekend time permitting.

I'm wet. After my fling with MK18/CQBR style, this is what I'm leaning towards next. Let us know how the optic does. I've heard primary arms go both ways.

Was waiting on shit to get normal to start in on an Aero Precision build, despite probably having four or five Seekins Precision lowers stashed. 

Anyone have any god links to how to tune a gas block? Been seeing malfunctions in one of my AR’s and thinking the bolt is just cycling too hard. Wondering if there’s something better than trial and error to fix it. 

@RUNINE- will let you know. I was mostly planning on FFP, but we'll see how I do with this one.

@misteraven- r/aeroprecisioninstock is your friend. On tuning, everything I've seen suggests some amount of trial and error. My guess is you can come up with some rough estimates of what pressure is being pushed back into the chamber with some basic fluid dynamics (completely ignoring thermodynamic externalities) as a way of setting benchmarks even if it is just more precise trial and error.

• 1 month later...

Well, turns out my account isn't deleted, so I guess I'll post an update here.

Got "lucky" and was able to pick up 300 rounds from local big 5 at 64cpr for 5.56 which is still .06-.10 less than online bulk looks right now. Went to the range a few days later. Zero'd at 50yds but wasn't looking for groupings. A lot of it was just wanting to get used to the gun.

100yds turned out liked this:

1700613401_ImagefromiOS(29).thumb.jpg.7ea89425bf4967e62683da99545c11f3.jpg

Anything outside the black was when I was at 50, just put a new sticker over the old. Next time I'll try to see what the coefficient on MOA is for groupings.

@RUNINE- LPVO worked beautifully at 50 and 100. I was able shoot with both one eye or both open and feel comfortable. For the price, this thing is great.

Also shot my buddy's Arex Zero Compact in 9mm. It was very easy to shoot. He hadn't done so at 7 yards so we just did that. Was very enjoyable. Still inclined towards 45acp for handgun. Curious y'alls thoughts on 9 vs other caliber for pistol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

.45 is more expensive to train with for what seems like no real change in damage profile

hand cannons are a blast though...

The whole "stopping power" argument is usually some fudd shit. 9mm does the job just fine. It's a slow round on top of that

"Hand cannon" to me is a 10mm, Glock 20, Glock 29, etc.

Have been debating getting a Sig P320, but I also have only pistols so maybe time to try out something different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, mr.yuck said:

Ive always like 9mm. It's the easiest of the self defense rounds to control in almost any size handgun. I always thought the argument against 9mm wasn't stopping power but over penetration. @KILZ FILLZ

I'd take a shotgun over a pistol for home defense any day of the week.  Pistols are ok but I'd consider it a last ditch effort to save your own life. 

Cz, makarov, tokarev, and five seven are all amazing handguns if that kind of thing tickles you. 

On 12/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, the.crooked said:

I've got no real stake in the fire regarding one over the other. I just really love the classic aesthetics of the 1911 in .45.

Good choice or you can get the best of both worlds with stopping power and round count with 2011. Though, personally I’d get it in 10mm even if extra mags will be a pain in the dick to find. Noticed on this last rush on ammo that 10mm was among the last calibers to sit on the shelf. Oddly it’s only shotgun ammo now. 

• 1 month later...

Handgun saga comes to a close. My father is gifting me one from texas that's not on the CADOJ approved list. Which is very nice of him. Going with an Arex Delta L Gen 2 (9mm):

25270-1.jpg

Big fan of my buddy's Arex Zero 1s as an alternative to CZ or Sig p226, but the deal on the Delta Gen 2 right now is too good ($485). Nothing but great reviews, and if my buddy's Zero is any indication of build quality, I'd much more enjoy this than a standard gen 3 glock.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 11:46 PM, the.crooked said:

Salient is NOT CHEAP, but them some sexy guns. 

Here is a Canik TP9 Combat Elite Executive.  Pretty decently priced at around $750.  Salient Arms match grade fluted barrel, mag well, extendo +2 mags, slide is red dot ready, red and green night sights, and whole lotta other shit out the box.

E5BD41F6-01F3-4CFF-B23B-1DA7AD2E310F.jpeg

• Like 2