gun thread

Gun dudes. I am looking into utilizing what's left of my second amendment rights . Now that I know the redneck asshole shop owner was just being a prick about my record disabling my ability to purchase.  According to extensive research nothing on my record should fail my application, and anything over 7 years wouldn't flag anyways. No violent crimes, no drugs, duis, or domestics.  I haven't been bagged since 2012. 

Hoping to find some direction. Here are some things I want a firearm for. 

- home/self protection

- duck/goose hunting

- future potential civil war ?

I most likely already know the ideal firearm for these things but what brands, budgets(reasonable affordable), purchase locations? Online vs. local gunstores? 

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@NightmareOnElmStreetget a used 12ga pump action shotgun from a local gun shop. Remington 870 👍 no need to buy one new unless you want to. If you want the Gucci get the 870 Wingmaster. Should be ~$500-800. That’s what is in my pic above. Can swap a few parts and have a home defense set up or duck hunting set up in less than two minutes and less than a couple hundred bucks in parts. 

• Like 2

@NightmareOnElmStreetI would buy online. Ship to a non redneck FFL. Im a fan of shotguns for home protection. I second @KILZ FILLZon the 870. I would go for the 870 DM. As far as future potential civil war, i have a feeling it will be all guerrilla warfare. So you can snip the end of your 870 as well as the shouldery bits off making a more concealable butt duster.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 8/30/2020 at 2:59 PM, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Gun dudes. I am looking into utilizing what's left of my second amendment rights . Now that I know the redneck asshole shop owner was just being a prick about my record disabling my ability to purchase.  According to extensive research nothing on my record should fail my application, and anything over 7 years wouldn't flag anyways. No violent crimes, no drugs, duis, or domestics.  I haven't been bagged since 2012. 

Hoping to find some direction. Here are some things I want a firearm for. 

- home/self protection

- duck/goose hunting

- future potential civil war ?

I most likely already know the ideal firearm for these things but what brands, budgets(reasonable affordable), purchase locations? Online vs. local gunstores? 

Depends on where you live to some degree. But its not reeally up to a shop owner to decline the transaction, it happens once you've submitted your NICS check. Unless you specifically told him something that can be used to disqualify you, nothing should prevent you from it unless you fail the check. If that happens, you'll be given a reason and can then appeal or correct the issue unless its something that would prevent you altogether (Felony, restraining order, mental health issue, etc).

As far as what to get, you can't go wrong with a decent shot gun, which is the probably the best all around gun to own. Obviously you can't conceal carry it, but its good for just about anything else. As far as a pistol, try to fire something (or better yet multiple somethings) before you decide. If you can't shoot it, at least hold it and see what fits your hand and feels comfortable. If you can shoot them, you'll likely perform better with one than another, so pick the one that you shoot best with. Generally it'll coke down to a Glock (compact or full size in 9mm), Sig Sauer (Again, likely 9mm and likely one of the striker fire versions like the P365) or possibly something like an M&P. After that, your next gun will probably be an AR.

Just make sure you get training. If you don't have the time and money for training, the gun can be a larger liability than an asset.

• Like 2

@NightmareOnElmStreet- If you apply for a weapon and you are not supposed to have one I believe that is also illegal.  I'd be careful if you were, at any time, ever told that you were not allowed to own a gun.

You can buy privately and avoid this obviously but the doo doo is still thick if you get caught with a weapon and you're not supposed to have one.

A good pistol is this:

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fn-five-seven/

It shoots "small rifle rounds" instead of normal "pistol rounds" like most any other handgun shoots.  They're accurate af from very far away.  An amateur can make good grouping at a distance with one...... which is kinda what you want out of a handgun because they're notoriously difficult to be accurate at a distance with.  And that is not me suggesting that you cannot be accurate with a handgun at any distance.

3 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@NightmareOnElmStreet- If you apply for a weapon and you are not supposed to have one I believe that is also illegal.  I'd be careful if you were, at any time, ever told that you were not allowed to own a gun.

You can buy privately and avoid this obviously but the doo doo is still thick if you get caught with a weapon and you're not supposed to have one.

A good pistol is this:

Its rare to find someone willing to sell privately to a stranger. You'd have to be an idiot to do that because when the gun gets used in a crime, it tracks back to the last record for that gun. 99% of private sales still do it through an FFL for that very reason. $10 - $20 for a transaction is a small price to pay. It also protects the buyer in case the gun was used in a crime before they bought. Again, it's a self policing system and you'd have to be an idiot to not do it. I've bought many gun privately and its always been through an FFL.

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

It shoots "small rifle rounds" instead of normal "pistol rounds" like most any other handgun shoots.  They're accurate af from very far away.  An amateur can make good grouping at a distance with one...... which is kinda what you want out of a handgun because they're notoriously difficult to be accurate at a distance with.  And that is not me suggesting that you cannot be accurate with a handgun at any distance.

Being accurate at any distance with a pistol is not easy. Thats why pistol ranges start at 5 yards and rarely go past 15 yards. Seeing as that is a controlled environment and a static target that doesn't shoot back and people still rarely get good groups, you can imagine what it's like to actually shoot a moving target that is shooting back at you. This is why a shotgun is a great weapon. Obviously you should get real training and practice as often as you can regardless, but a shotgun will greatly improve your chances of hitting something over a pistol. Especially with the right type of ammo.

• Truth 1

8 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

This is true but also a weird law in Texas and ill try my best to explain without being confusing. 

A few years ago I was looking into getting a gun smithing license so I could offer laser engraving of trusts, and serial numbers to lowers and just about anything involving personalizing a firearm at the customers request.  So i need to go over a few things and decided to reach out to an ATF agent at US HQ.  

This is what the agent explained to me about owning a fire arm since I do have a felony on my record.   She said,  in Texas the state law does say felons (depending on the nature of the crime) can possess a fire arm after 5yrs pass after the completion of your parole date.  However, due to federal law which prohibits felons to possess a fire arm of any kind regardless of the nature of the crime.  Fed law trumps state law in this regard. 

So basicaally she went on to explain in texas a felon can own a fire arm, but cannot conceal, travel with it or take it out side of their home.  If however, i did none of the above but local authorities found out i had a gun it would be completely up to the officer and his superior to make an arrest or not.  Basically the officer would have to be cool about it.  However, if a federal officer e.g. atf, fbi, etc. were to be on scene or at the house, they are following fed law and then yes, it is now a crime of felon in possession of a fire arm.  And that is trouble. 

Thats a basic run down of what I was told from the horses mouth.  

Now as for my opinion, I would just leave fire arms alone, unless your with buddies at the shooting range or on your property shooting guns that belong to friends family.   In this case, if your cool and show your responsible with run safety and an officer rather local or fed, they probably will not give you or anyone any trouble.  There's a lot of them out their that are cool with it and understand people make mistakes. 

But anyhow, @NightmareOnElmStreet chances are you would have to find a street gun and thats a huge no no specially if you have a record.  if that's the only way to get one, then don't get one.  Because that's what the atf agent i spoke with kinda hinted at, that every legit place runs background checks, and I think its illegal for legit places to sell guns to felons.  So basically, really the only way a felon could ginuenly purchase a fire arm is by person to person as a legit cash sale now questions asked type thing.  Or off the street type thing. 

But the second ammendment is the right to bare are arms.  So i would suggest working on your Kato sneek attacks and learn how to snap a neck from behind.

On 9/4/2020 at 8:52 AM, Dirty_habiT said:

A good pistol is this:

No one of any authority has ever told me I could not acquire a weapon. Redneck gunstore owner didn't even let me file the application. He asked if I'd ever been convicted of a crime and if so for what. I said "fuckin lots of them. All for graffiti and one time breach of peace for boozing to loud." Dude said "you're fucked buddy." He shortly tried to explain that was a violent crime and said he would not let me fill the application because it "would be a waste of his time." Inaccurate.

I did a good amount of research and spoke to 2 separate cops. That motherfucker was just being a dick and didn't want to do my deal. One of the cops laughed and asked where this shop was. When I told him he chuckled and said I should probably try a different spot. I've actually been trying my damndest to put aside my typical reserved judgments and stereotypes and just chill but fuckin a it's tuff. Shoulda known better the second I walked into the place. Normal in the south and I could care less, but if you see this in fuckin Rhode Island......

image.png.5e30431677f0c799ae969ec820089aa3.png

Edited by NightmareOnElmStreet
  • LOL! 2

Wow, yeah man he's obviously into that too far to one side crazy shit.  I'd just take your business elsewhere.  You don't want to make friends or support by buying from someone like that anyway right?  Too easy.

You can run your own race however you like, but in the future I'd be a bit more reserved with volunteering information about myself to strangers.  You don't owe that guy any sort of explanation about your past, he can go fuck himself.  Just for future reference you don't have to answer any kind of question like that, as you said you have not been told you cannot own a gun so you're good.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

Slowly, yet surely, things are coming together.

Currently acquired and pictured:

• 16" Aero Atlas S-One barrel with mid-length gas, and 15" Mlok
  • m4e1 Aero lower

Acquired and not pictured:

• Larue MBT-2S trigger
  • Larue RISR
  • Magpul CTR
  • ARMaglock Gen 4
  • Kingpin
  • Cryptic Coating Mystic Bronze BCG Blem 

Sitting in a cart waiting for payday/birthday purchase (but cmon, honey, it's my birthday):

• JP Silent Captured
  • Aero Enhanced Buffer Tube
  • Aero field parts kit (doing this instead of a lower since I am choosing a different safety selector and I have to replace rear takedown anyway with Kingpin)
  • PA 1-6x FFP LPVO with ACSS Reticle
  • Couple Cross Industries 10/10 coupled mags

Still looking for when in stock:

• Radian Ambi Charging Handle
  • Surefire WarComp
  • Surefire QD Warden
  • Still debating what type of BUIs to go for. Be it inline or offset.
  • Bulk Ammo (lol... ugh)

It ain't a cheap one, but I'd rather just build this one once than upgrade later. Measure twice, cut once so to speak.

Image from iOS (26).jpg

All that said,

Up next, is shotty, of which I'm stickin to the 870. So that's covered easy.

Last is handgun, and I have a strong feeling my father in texas would love to gift a handgun to me here in CA. I've mostly been planning on a midgrade 1911 in .45 ACP. I like the Rock Island options, but open to hearing other opinions. 

Edited by the.crooked
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2020 at 4:10 PM, misteraven said:

Sorry fells, going to have to flex on you motherfuckers...

IMG_1657.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

You get an optic on that yet? I recently acquired a vortex amg uh-1 gen 2 holo sight for my 300bo that I'm really liking, i want to get a unity riser for it, after trying out the unity micro mount it feels so much more comfortable with less neck strain 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Qawee said:

You get an optic on that yet? I recently acquired a vortex amg uh-1 gen 2 holo sight for my 300bo that I'm really liking, i want to get a unity riser for it, after trying out the unity micro mount it feels so much more comfortable with less neck strain 

Put an EOTech EXPS3-2 with an EOTech 3x magnifier behind it. Hate putting that much weight on an otherwise feather weight gun, but it balances well and with the swivel mount on the magnifier I get the best of both worlds as far as distance. Still leaning towards getting an RMR in a high mount though. 

Also swapped out the BCG for TiN coated one from Salient and added a Whistle Tip to protect the threads until the can gets released. 

507C5F35-5CAB-4EF9-A8FD-556205730606.jpeg

• Props 2

That is sick man! I like the rmr a lot but the whole having to take it off to replace the battery thing kinda sucks, some of the higher end holosun optics with the rmr footprint are looking attractive due to being able to change the batteries without having to remove and rezero

1 minute ago, Qawee said:

That is sick man! I like the rmr a lot but the whole having to take it off to replace the battery thing kinda sucks, some of the higher end holosun optics with the rmr footprint are looking attractive due to being able to change the batteries without having to remove and rezero

I can see that being an argument on pistol, but I try to re-zero my optics regularly anyways so I don’t mind it with a quick detach mount. Not sure I can throw a made in China optic on my Gucci guns. 

4 minutes ago, misteraven said:

I can see that being an argument on pistol, but I try to re-zero my optics regularly anyways so I don’t mind it with a quick detach mount. Not sure I can throw a made in China optic on my Gucci guns. 

Makes sense. I was kinda apprehensive about holosun at first as well being made in China and all, but stuff I've read recently has me looking hard at them. I get the Gucci factor, always looks weird to see guys running $150 red dots on kac guns 😂