Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry fells, going to have to flex on you motherfuckers...    

Yeet 

Yo. I hate to be that guy, but the first time I ever fired a shotgun, I shot it off in the house on accident. I blew a hole through my wifes dresser and shredded all her clothes in that drawer. Two th

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow, and ouch. Joking? Otherwise I have to say you're wrong. Maybe month or so ago I shot 2 .38 specials, snub nose, don't recall barrel length but doesn't really matter. In double action it beat my trigger finger up and was difficult to fire, and my hand strength is pretty good from all the painting and masturbating I've done over the years! Single action, no problem at all. The only other revolver I fired was .357 (shooting .38 rounds) and it was smooth as hell. Anyhow, point being, not all revolvers are light in the trigger. The 2nd time I got to fire all sorts of pistols from someone's collection which convinced me to leave the revolver idea for now and focus on getting a .45.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Super surprised to see this thread and even more to see it at 125 pages! Damn, had no idea there was this must interest amongst the 12ozProphet community when it comes to firearms.

So in the spirit of conversation, here's some trigger time shots from the last Costa Ludus class I took...

Costa-Ludus-Day3-34.thumb.jpg.e343c5d6be3c51629e23f5668f9f4ab7.jpg

Costa-Ludus-Day3-38.thumb.jpg.2a1ea1098c1dda7983c01f62f721f0fc.jpg

• Like 2

@misteraven Did they teach you to hold the barrel so far out? If so, what is the reasoning?

I feel like position training like that, c-grip, or whatever its called, is great when you're static. But there is a reason pistol grips and red dots are popular--if you're trying to move, seek c&c, etc techniques like that long grip are not effective. Grab the pistol grip, put the red dot on, go. Stance matters, but when shit hits the fan, if it isn't muscle memory and you haven't trained repetitively to move in that position it will go to the wind.

Not trying to talk shit or anything, I just see a lot of my paintball and milsim friends practicing stances and body positions like that which I'm not convinced have real world application.

Beautiful rifle, btw.

@misteraven Did they teach you to hold the barrel so far out? If so, what is the reasoning?

I feel like position training like that, c-grip, or whatever its called, is great when you're static. But there is a reason pistol grips and red dots are popular--if you're trying to move, seek c&c, etc techniques like that long grip are not effective. Grab the pistol grip, put the red dot on, go. Stance matters, but when shit hits the fan, if it isn't muscle memory and you haven't trained repetitively to move in that position it will go to the wind.

Not trying to talk shit or anything, I just see a lot of my paintball and milsim friends practicing stances and body positions like that which I'm not convinced have real world application.

Beautiful rifle, btw.

@Fist 666

There's a lot of opinion regarding how best to set your forward grip. This is considered an aggressive forward grip and is definitely something Chris Costa in known for. Purpose is that as you engage targets and move between them, you can drive your muzzle faster and minimize that sway / over-sway you get as you're driving the barrel. Likewise, reacquiring the target after a shot is easier when you consider the muzzle will follow the path of least resistance after discharging. Most firearms will naturally climb and then offset away from your grip hand, so the more stable a shooting platform you can create, the quicker you can get your muzzle back on target. As such, the closer you can grip to where the explosion is occurring, the more leverage you have in controlling the recoil and keeping the muzzle where you want it. Takes a bit more strength holding your arm out, but also naturally minimizes that arm from chicken winging out.

Yeah, my favorite shooting is tactical, so most often we're running shoot and move drills. Costa Ludus definitely trains for real life type situations, so I feel what you're saying. At the end of the day its about how accurately and consistently you can place rounds on target, so there's no real wrong or right way. Its what works best for you. I have long arms, so this hold is comfortable for me, but I've seen how much quicker I can drive my gun between targets, as well as how much more stable of a shooting platform I create when I'm control the far end of my gun. My carbines all shoot super flat, but this definitely helps in reacquiring and driving towards target, as well as holding steady for shots out past 100m.

As far as stance, there's about as much debate there. Obviously at minimum you need to be balanced and 223/556 really has little recoil, but I train to shoot and move so I want a nice aggressive stance. Though I don't usually wear armor, I try and keep my shoulders square to the target to build that habit and also because, again its the most stable platform for me. Keep the carbine tucked in nice and tight with plenty of mass behind it and then roll my shoulders slightly forward because it forces my trigger arm inwards minimizing my profile as far as is manageable for me. Wide stance, slightly forward and I can shoot and move as best as I'm able at my age.

Oh and thanks for the compliment on the gun. It's definitely nice. Paid a grip and waited ages as SAI only does custom builds. Not crazy about the single stage flat trigger, though the thing breaks like glass; super crisp. The hand guard is really slick looking and does also help keep it shooting extra flat, but no chance at suppressing it. They've since corrected that with an updated release called the GRY that I plan to pick up, so will likely sell this one despite only having about 1000 rounds through it. Really love my Seekins build though. Runs so smooth and its a tack driver. Has a 16" barrel so figure that also helps give it an edge as well.

I'm in Colorado.

I had some kinda serious suicidal ideations a few years back and decided I didn't need any guns in my house so I sold what I had, enough vets become that statistic...

Still love them and like to shoot other people's stuff when the opportunity arises.

I'm not sure I buy the sway control argument of hand placement. Your arm will fatigue much faster in that position, if you rock a pistol grip right in front of the mag well you can let your shoulder essentially hang and let your skeleton do the work for your muscles. Oversway is something you train to minimize. If an engagement lasted long enough, your arm would be less able to control the oversway motion. But then fog and friction and adrenaline changes everything, so I guess it boils down to confidence in your own training whenever shit does hit the fan.