Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
1 hour ago, Ray40 said:

Thanks Joker, I was wondering is it bad we have similiar names, does it really matter 

Uh... do you have any idea how many writers out there write "Joker"? No? Well, let me tell you... it's a lot. Like, a lot. I mean, there's a "Joker" in every major city, often several. So while you and a guy in German may have similar names, he's in Germany and already a well-stablished writer with his own style. If you were to add an S to your name and start biting him... that could be a problem. But you and I both know you're not going to do that because that's dumb. And more importantly - the peer pressure and shit talking you'd get on this board would be so overwhelming that you'd stop. 

Technically, you should have a unique name. This is an unwritten "rule" from the early days of writing when you were up against a few thousand other names in one city. Now that the culture has been made popular worldwide for the last four decades having the same name or a similar name as someone else is common, and to be expected.

So long answer short - no, it doesn't matter. What you do with your name is what matters. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 5:36 PM, Joker said:

Uh... do you have any idea how many writers out there write "Joker"? No? Well, let me tell you... it's a lot. Like, a lot. I mean, there's a "Joker" in every major city, often several. So while you and a guy in German may have similar names, he's in Germany and already a well-stablished writer with his own style. If you were to add an S to your name and start biting him... that could be a problem. But you and I both know you're not going to do that because that's dumb. And more importantly - the peer pressure and shit talking you'd get on this board would be so overwhelming that you'd stop. 

Technically, you should have a unique name. This is an unwritten "rule" from the early days of writing when you were up against a few thousand other names in one city. Now that the culture has been made popular worldwide for the last four decades having the same name or a similar name as someone else is common, and to be expected.

So long answer short - no, it doesn't matter. What you do with your name is what matters. 

Noted

• Like 1

Ok, so I was visiting my cousins in New Mexico who also write and we started catching tags and slapping a few stickers. Then we are about to leave to finback to there house and my cousin decides he has to tag one Last thing. I had only gone stickers cause I forgot my markers at home and couldn’t bring them on the trip so I just slapped a sticker on it and kept moving. Then they( my brother and my cousin) tag it and take a super long time and a cop car pulls over as soon as we finish and ask us if we were tagging it.I say no and he has no proof that we did it and couldn’t check us cause he didn’t have a permit so he end letting us go. Then he follows us for a bit before leaving us alone. We got lucky and I was suspicious for the rest of the trip. Moral of the story, don’t try to catch one last tag or slap one last sticker 

• Like 3
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of a struggle to find an e that works. I’d like to use an uppercase E but I’ll still need to experiment a bit before I come up with something I’m satisfied with. I can’t figure out how to fill the negative space in an appealing way with a capital e 4AE0CE9F-CC03-47AB-BFB7-5D335CD09A38.thumb.jpeg.a0b72a9078e52eb7ef0bb2649c929481.jpeg7866723C-88EE-48DB-8E4C-597E1BF0A1A8.thumb.jpeg.3fc4a50753070afa077d94e794fb2202.jpegE86DE7F1-0B83-462E-A6C6-98787F00721D.thumb.jpeg.aefa6977681eeb804238c4b0cbc79642.jpeg

• Like 3

@Aristo- Yeah, I understand what you're saying. When you lean your letters to the left it definitely creates a struggle for some letters. I've seen a lot of folks lean their letter the opposite direction but it doesn't always work. Anyway, here's a few options to consider tinkering with...

Untitled_Artwork (1).png

Untitled_Artwork (2).png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Joker, thanks as always, your critiques are impressive because you can vocalize what I can sense visually in some of the pieces but don't know how to say. 

Is there a better way to learn to identify and describe these issues w flow, spacing, weight on pieces. 

I always see individual letter issues but it is hard to see the finished piece issues until you are done, then decide what needs work as far as the whole piece with it's weight and symmetry.

I guess if you paint enough pieces you begin to have an innate ability to sense something is off even if the letters themselves are constructed well. 

I'm rambling as usual, but it is very interesting to me. Art is always subjective but there are strange rules that come into play with letters, typefaces and communicating those with style without losing the inherent framework? I vaguely remember Asian writers having issues with writing the chinese characters without losing the meaning, and many of them opted to write in english. 

would this kinda be similar to the "know the rules and how to work within them before you can break them" school of thought I see in art and photography? 

• 2 weeks later...

@Joker or anyone else id love a crit on these pieces as well as my tags, I also gots some style questions that I'd love some answers too, how do you properly do 3d where you show highlights in the 3d? can you do a core shadow in ur letters an if so how does one go about doing so, I saw a revok piece that had the highlights of his piece go from the center out, as if his light source was at the same perspective as the person viewing the piece, is there a name for that? also what is the name for the red sheen i did on my two pieces and am I doing it properly? 

8AE88019-FEE9-4ADA-9C56-19EBA42898BC.jpeg

D5EBA436-39D9-4ACC-A7EC-2F885BAECABA.jpeg

4B2B5963-8994-4E3B-AB63-98F02308CE00.jpeg

9 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@EGGZThat last one is both interesting and completely not my shit at the same time. Try and expand on that one. 

I plan to do alot of different styles. I am just experimenting to be honest. I plan on doing one with alot of complexity soon. Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

• Like 1

How can I tell the difference between a kink in a letter and a serif? Generally speaking I know the difference but there's times when I look at a letter within a piece and have absolutely no clue how to tell the difference. (And would creating a kink be the equivalent of creating a new bar?) 

Another question, are you allowed to just add a bar to a letter and maintain letter structure? Not like an extension but like just a good ole regular bar. Say you have a B and the base of the B is flattened out completely instead of it being consistently round the whole way through. Is that just a B with a kink or is the equivalent to adding a bar? 

Sorry for not adding images to aid my questions. I'm busy so you'll have to conceptualize it the best you can lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 5:03 PM, Aristo said:

How can I tell the difference between a kink in a letter and a serif? Generally speaking I know the difference but there's times when I look at a letter within a piece and have absolutely no clue how to tell the difference. (And would creating a kink be the equivalent of creating a new bar?) 

Another question, are you allowed to just add a bar to a letter and maintain letter structure? Not like an extension but like just a good ole regular bar. Say you have a B and the base of the B is flattened out completely instead of it being consistently round the whole way through. Is that just a B with a kink or is the equivalent to adding a bar? 

Sorry for not adding images to aid my questions. I'm busy so you'll have to conceptualize it the best you can lol. 

Yeah, visuals that speak to your questions would be helpful because I don't really understand what you're asking. However, I'll try to answer based on what I think you're asking. 

Sounds like. you know the difference between a Serif letter and a Sans Serif letter, so I'm not sure where the "kink" comes in. To me a kink would be the same as a sharp bend, so are you asking about bending the serif of a letter or are you asking what the difference between a bend and a serif is? 

You are "allowed" to do whatever you want so long as your letters hold their shape. When you start adding bars indiscriminately just to fill space you run the risk of taking it too far. As long as your R or your T look like an R and T, for the most part, add all the bars you want. My thought around adding extra bars to letters that are solely used to fill in "dead" space are sometimes a result of the letters not sitting next to each other in a better way. Some writers purposefully leave space between their letters and fill the space with bars but because that is a consideration when laying out their letters those added bars look purposeful, and not just filler. 

So short answer - yes, the bottom half of a B can be a flat, non-rounded bar as long as the letter itself still looks like a B.