Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@nachodik -

Anything highlighted and underlined is a clickable link.

Deviant Art

I visit this website often. The caliber of work being shared on there is humbling, but very inspiring. They also have a Resource section with tuts and other goodies that might be useful in your quest to learn. 

Snooze.one

This guy posts almost daily with short vids of him creating lettering art with simple art tools, or digitally. Just watching his process - quick hands, angle at which he holds the pen/paint brush, movements - could be inspiring. And honestly, if you click on the list of folks he's following, and check out each one (I just went through the first ten) I've no doubt you'll fall down the rabbit hole for hours. 

Pinterest

I know... Pinterest is right on the edge of being the soccer Mom of inspiration, but there are a lot of good resources on there for tutorials on how to draw faces, hands, bodies, cartoon characters, shading, etc.. A good example is a few years ago a client needed a few sketches that had an industrial design sketching style to it. So I went to Pinterest and searched "industrial design sketch tutorials" and found the inspiration I needed to complete the project the way the client wanted. It didn't make me an industrial designer overnight, but it helped me "copy" their style for my project. Want some inspiration on Abstract Lettering? How about Shading Techniques? Or even Graffiti Alphabet. Sure, there's plenty of ads and shit that isn't relatable to make it annoying, but there's plenty of good, too. 

And finally, Youtube. There's no shortage of tutorials on there for just about everything, but a quick "fine art tutorials" search came up with quite a bit.

As for books, I would just go to your local book store or library, go straight to the art skills/techniques section and look for books that will show you how to do the things you want to learn. Most libraries have quite a bit in this subject. 

• Like 1

For those of you in this thread who are looking to learn the basics, and then improve upon them, check out Mr.Iös on Instagram. His feed is chock-full of great step-by-step letter creations from a simple shape all the way to fully colored-in Graffiti-style letters. He also has the created single letter studies for each letter of the alphabet - nine studies per letter. Really cool. Lots of inspiration to be had in one person's feed. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 4.03.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 4.03.25 PM.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

@Joker i know its been a while but i figured i'd show u some of my progression, i messed around with some straight line straight letters, some where they all connected, would love feed back on any an all. Also i know im no where near good enough to do wild styles but how do you break through into doing more technical pieces like those?

3A6A7E6D-7455-45C1-AE18-29A2D004EE8F.jpeg

4E50D59A-8F26-4309-8EFE-131737C77A01.jpeg

C0022FC3-CD7B-4256-8341-D48F2F088B7D.jpeg

D6FC5381-DCA5-4663-9C86-092C577C553F.jpeg

A2264414-67CB-455C-9D95-50C37ABD3A76.jpeg

B5F4B5AA-4385-464A-873A-9BEFB8129E2D.jpeg

591E6E4D-5113-47EC-87CE-5967D979FA13.jpeg

FAF97AA6-8066-4360-AA42-E5BB89F52623.jpeg

69A51420-8E16-433E-846F-D51EA6DDE914.jpeg

• Like 4

@nachodik- Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.

The sketches - personally I think they all look pretty good. I especially like the bottom three sketches... Wort, Rope, and Wort. The filled-in Wort w/ 3D is great! And the Rope sketch, way you leaned the left side of the E into the empty space of the P... very nice. The very top Poteb is pretty nice, too. The other sketches aren't bad, but those four are the stand-outs, for me. 

Wild-Style - tough question because any mentor/teacher is going to tell you it takes baby steps to get there, and my advice is really no different. The filled-in Wort sketch above, for example, if you wanted to start messing with that by dissecting each letter, adding arrows and flares, little notches (like you did on the W and O, for example), and bits here and there is a place to start. To make it easy on yourself, and to keep focused, concentrate on one letter at a time. Take the W and see what you could. Start small, adding one or two things, see how it looks, then add another, see if it still feels right, and finally add a finishing touches. Check this image by Meas as an example of single letter studies. It's a great way to work out ideas before going all in on an entire piece. 

Tags - I'll get back to you on this later but first impressions is I love that you're exploring different styles. The second one reads as RERE, so the one-liner needs some further exploration. But I'll get back to you some ideas.

Meas.jpeg

• Like 2

@KaneVCB- They are pages from a book called - Flip the Script: A Guidebook for Aspiring Vandals & Typographers. It's an incredible book because it covers handstyles from all major cities, and includes examples by some of the best from each region. 

Also, Handselecta (folks who put the book together) have a YouTube channel with a ton of videos that show folks writing their name. Great way to see how some of these handstyles are done. 

I had no idea the book was worth so much. I guess I better put mine in a display case. 

Edited by Joker
  • Like 3

That letter guide is cool joker, thanks for sharing. 

Really been in a rut, for sme reason I like to punish myself? and use pen only and not use a pencil to try and force myself to get it right

This isn't good for building up various styles and connections though.

Maybe its my compromise since I dont want to paint illegally haha gotta add some drama 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

On 5/27/2021 at 9:03 PM, +plus+ said:

Dump of the last 6 months

Yeah, not sure if you're just sharing or looking for feedback/help, but when there's that much in one post it's hard for me to give feedback. 

And yes, using a pen is a commitment. You've got to really know your strengths and weaknesses, and you've got to heave a great knowledge of letter structure and flow. I'm always in awe of folks who draw dynamic pieces, sometimes even complicated, using just pen. It's impressive. I'm personally a pencil person because often by the time I get to the last letter I think of something better for the first letter. 

• Like 1

The second Rope sketch is pretty nice. I like the open connections between letters but I would adjust them slightly as noted in the image below. Add some dimension to the O so the letter is a little more defined, and add a little more definition to the connection of the P and E. That connection wasn't really bad, it's just how I personally would connect them. 

As for the arrow sketches... I think your cuz needs to calm down. Damn, those are a lot of arrows, you could take all the arrows from those pieces and add them to five, maybe six more pieces. Here's my take on arrows for pieces:

I was always told that arrows on pieces were a form of battle armor, a way to protect your piece from the pieces to the left and right of you. Not sure if that is the intended purpose of arrows being used in the early 70s and 80s New York subway Graffiti, but nonetheless it's what I was given as an explanation. Typically arrows are used to show motion or direction - think wayfinding  out on the road or in a hospital, for example. 

Arrow Sketch One - Really, the only one that "feels" like it works is the one coming off the left side of the R. I get what you were going for trying to mirror it on the E, but I feel like that would have been more successful had you done it coming off the bottom bar of the E, and it was flipped vertically - so the arrow winds its way upward and to the right instead of downward and to the right. 

Arrow Sketch Two - for the most part it's not that bad, except for the arrows coming off the bottom of all letters, and the tops of the O and P. There's just a lot to take in. It looks like you drew your piece and someone egged you on to keep adding arrows 😉

Arrow Sketch Three - The flow of the arrows isn't all that bad, and again... kinda like the R, but there's just way too many. 

Instead of adding every arrow you own into each letter, focus on just the R and E. Keep it simple for the time being by using only one or two arrows.