Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just sharing and looking for general critiques, i should probably post a few at a time not an archive. My bad! 

ive been stuck in a rut and trying to break out 

also on the topic of pens...the dudes who do those bic pen drawings w crazy layers are insane

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Ray40The one thing your sketches have going for them is the thickness consistency of your bars is pretty okay. That “Y” is fucking wild. Not it a good way. 

I like the lower case “a” in the 5th sketch. The rest of them look crazy. That top bar is way long and out of proportion to the rest of the letter.  

The “R” in that last sketch is solid as fuck if you delete the arrows off of it.

For real, though, what’s with all the arrows? Are you trying to add a layer of complexity or are you trying to balance your letters out with them?

circling back to that “Y”… draw a lower case g and then erase the top of the curve. Play with that style of “Y” and see how it fits with everything else.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 11:18 AM, nachodik said:

@joker, or anyone else, id love a crit, how do these look?

E9072272-CCF3-4ED1-9DF5-ABB14639387E.jpeg

The flow on this one is decent, not bad really. The swath coming off the left of the R is... okay... but could be better. The small O is way too small. I get what you're doing but I think it's too small. The swath coming off the top of the P isn't too bad, but I wonder if it could be more part of the E instead of going past it. I mention this because the piece is unbalanced - too heavy on the right - so if the swath came back a little more and felt part of the E it might balance out the entire piece. 

13402ABA-B4B8-42AB-88E7-E078D4D99B94.jpeg

I see nothing wrong with this one. The E is slightly bigger than the other letters, which is a wee-bit odd, but I think overall this is a nice, simple piece. Well done!

E8411907-C1C4-4DF4-8299-66C8B9CBA88B.jpeg

Another nice one. The only call-out I have is the loop of the R feels mushed. I think if you moved the R to the left a little bit, and opened up the loop a little more so it felt the same as the P, this would feel just that little bit better. It would also let the O see some daylight as it's crammed between the R and P. 

CAD8ED96-ECEE-415A-A7AE-A6FEDC94464A.jpeg

I'd like to see the bar of the R go behind the vertical, and the bar of the P that connects to the E loop around to the end. I get what you were going for with all the letters having the same top, but it feels forced when you get to the E. See my edit below.

Overall, nice job! And I'm sorry it took me so damn long to get to it. 

ROPE_Edit.png

On 7/6/2021 at 6:39 AM, Ray40 said:

Advice on these sketches pls

38BA9FDD-51F8-402B-B3B8-D0A7E817E877.jpeg

269CC47D-9BEC-4829-B778-B792C1524B1A.jpeg

First, it's good to see you pushing yourself into a direction. Compared to the last pieces you posted a while back, these feel different, and a step forward. That said...

Looking at them I'm reminded of an old "electric" font, where each letter looks like it's got 220v coursing through its veins. I agree with what's been said already... too many arrows, which is to be expected from someone still learning. Personally, of the six outlines, if you too the A from the 5th sketch and replaced the A in the 6th sketch... I'd grade that outline a C-. 

The biggest critique, honestly, is that your pieces have little to zero flow to them. It's as if you drew each letter individually, cut them out, and then glued them together with no thought to how they'd connect or flow into each other. If you're sketching letters individually to learn them that's great, but when you start bringing them together you have to consider how each one rests next to each other. Ideally each letter should feel like it's getting a hug from the letter beside it. They should all fall into place like pieces of a puzzle. Does that make sense?

Here's a writer with your same name (well, RAYS)... look how smoothly one letter flows into the next one. Even though the R and A are at odds with each other, like two mountains butting heads, it still works because of everything else going on in that section of the piece. The two letters still work nicely together. 

RAYS_Edit.png

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 2:25 AM, mr.yuck said:

@Ray40The one thing your sketches have going for them is the thickness consistency of your bars is pretty okay. That “Y” is fucking wild. Not it a good way. 

I like the lower case “a” in the 5th sketch. The rest of them look crazy. That top bar is way long and out of proportion to the rest of the letter.  

The “R” in that last sketch is solid as fuck if you delete the arrows off of it.

For real, though, what’s with all the arrows? Are you trying to add a layer of complexity or are you trying to balance your letters out with them?

circling back to that “Y”… draw a lower case g and then erase the top of the curve. Play with that style of “Y” and see how it fits with everything else.

Thanks 

On 7/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, Joker said:

First, it's good to see you pushing yourself into a direction. Compared to the last pieces you posted a while back, these feel different, and a step forward. That said...

Looking at them I'm reminded of an old "electric" font, where each letter looks like it's got 220v coursing through its veins. I agree with what's been said already... too many arrows, which is to be expected from someone still learning. Personally, of the six outlines, if you too the A from the 5th sketch and replaced the A in the 6th sketch... I'd grade that outline a C-. 

The biggest critique, honestly, is that your pieces have little to zero flow to them. It's as if you drew each letter individually, cut them out, and then glued them together with no thought to how they'd connect or flow into each other. If you're sketching letters individually to learn them that's great, but when you start bringing them together you have to consider how each one rests next to each other. Ideally each letter should feel like it's getting a hug from the letter beside it. They should all fall into place like pieces of a puzzle. Does that make sense?

Here's a writer with your same name (well, RAYS)... look how smoothly one letter flows into the next one. Even though the R and A are at odds with each other, like two mountains butting heads, it still works because of everything else going on in that section of the piece. The two letters still work nicely together. 

RAYS_Edit.png

Thanks Joker, I was wondering is it bad we have similiar names, does it really matter