Toys post here...

swif1

On 2/13/2021 at 11:30 PM, Aristo said:

I’ve been wanting to try working on more technical skills but I have no clue where to start. Any chance I could get a push in the right direction? 

Let me work on a couple ideas and I'll get back to you in a day or two. 

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 2/13/2021 at 11:30 PM, Aristo said:

B16AFF92-59FF-4A9C-A6FE-7ED701D0A182.thumb.jpeg.27219028b12bc24bd7ee5a3b11d14cdd.jpeg

Sorry for the delay - power outages meant conserving battery life. 

I tried to keep my two sketches as close to your original drawing as possible, but I definitely took some liberties with a few things and drew them how I felt they might work better... in the hopes it would help you with future outlines. 

The first thing I noticed is that your T looks like a J. I assume you looped the descender of the T back toward the S to fill in the empty space, which worked, but you created a J... no way around it. In my two sketches I gave you some options for how to fill that dead space left by the T. 

The second thing I noticed is the flow from the R to the I. My mind immediately went to the example I've shown in both of my sketches as a way to bring those two letters together for better flow. The way you have the R and I can work but it takes some finessing. You'd need to bring the descender of the R down further, then kick it back and up toward the base line of the I. You'd then need to add some length to one or two of your other letters so the descender of the R isn't lonely way down there. 

As for other technical bits... I added some bits and doo-dads here and there as a way to fill dead space and add some overall style. This can be done by adding the bit at the end of a letter - like the little one on the T in the top sketch, or by adding extensions - like the extension on the bottom right of the S in the top sketch. 

Finally, the plaque to the right of your sketch can be many things, but I still like the old-school scrolls for adding a phrase or shot-out. 

Let me know if this helped.

Untitled_Artwork 2.png

• Like 1
  • Props 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, nachodik said:

@Jokeryo ive been wrkin on this tag, how she lookin?

Hey... sorry for the delay. I thought I had replied to this already but I apparently I did not. 

I like it! Looks pretty good. My only feedback is the E connection to the C is a bit much. I get it, that flow from one to the next is perfect, but your extensions might be too tall (?), at least on the one in the middle. Have you tried it without the connection from the E to the C? Just wondering how it looks. 

I really like the ECK, they flow so well. You could even add a little flare/kick-back/kick-up to the end of the K for a lil' somethin' extra. 

The D works, but feels like the one thing that doesn't belong. I wonder if it was slightly rounded at the bottom how that would look. I could trace your tag and try to work a few things out, and share with you later. 

2 hours ago, paranormio said:

I’m going to be honest I’ve never really put in any time to doing throws however I’m re-teaching myself the basics and I’m going into it with a positive attitude and a slight stiffy Crits??

Looking at your sketch the first thing that jumps out to me is that it's too rigid. When you're learning to do throwups (and this is my personal opinion) I thin it's best to go with a loose, bubble-like feel. You'll get a feel for doing them much faster if the lines are loose, round-ish, and easily executed. When I was learning throwups (honestly, I'm still learning) the guys who taught me said think of a semi-deflated balloon... now shape it into a letter. Think about how the balloon looks when you squeeze it in half - how the air is forced to the ends and those ends expand creating two bubbly shapes (writing that made me laugh... sounds weird). 

Anyway, keep it loose and as simple as possible (I mean, think about how simple Adek's throwup letters are but they're absolutely perfect). And really try to do each letter in one quick swoop instead of "sketching" the letters out. Sketching them will definitely help you get the letters down how you want them, but make sure once you're there that you teach yourself to do those lines in one go. 

Here's a few ideas to inspire you...

Untitled_Artwork.png

• Like 1
  • Props 1

19 minutes ago, Joker said:

Looking at your sketch the first thing that jumps out to me is that it's too rigid. When you're learning to do throwups (and this is my personal opinion) I thin it's best to go with a loose, bubble-like feel. You'll get a feel for doing them much faster if the lines are loose, round-ish, and easily executed. When I was learning throwups (honestly, I'm still learning) the guys who taught me said think of a semi-deflated balloon... now shape it into a letter. Think about how the balloon looks when you squeeze it in half - how the air is forced to the ends and those ends expand creating two bubbly shapes (writing that made me laugh... sounds weird). 

Anyway, keep it loose and as simple as possible (I mean, think about how simple Adek's throwup letters are but they're absolutely perfect). And really try to do each letter in one quick swoop instead of "sketching" the letters out. Sketching them will definitely help you get the letters down how you want them, but make sure once you're there that you teach yourself to do those lines in one go. 

Here's a few ideas to inspire you...

Untitled_Artwork.png

Thx so much man rly appreciate it I’ll try those out 

@JokerYo so I took what you were saying and started drawing from the shoulder(I used to do that when I took figure drawing). I'm finally understanding what you mean by making things more fluid. I think I'm comfortable enough with this that I should start working on different styles and sizing of the letters do you have any more suggestion/names of interesting handstlyes/artist that I should look into.  I'm on my way to pick up some more markers from the art store because the cheap ones ran out.

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.27432b46229d187fa280cebeb7f6266c.jpeg

P.S these are some of the pages I filled up used that 3 marker method that you told me about.

IMG_1370.thumb.jpeg.799b000104318dca56108e71295ef32b.jpegIMG_1371.thumb.jpeg.a973e498e6f78e1cd386df3147984e89.jpeg

• Like 1

@KaneVCB- Yep, definitely can tell you're being more fluid with your writing, now. Looks much better. Nice job!

As for other writers to check out for inspiration... well, there's an endless amount, really. Everyone is going to have their favorites and who twists their nips the most, so it all comes down to what you're looking for. 

Personally, my favorite handstyle is by Ekser. No idea who they are, where they're located. All I know is I love the handstyles. Creative, flows super-well, and has the perfect amount of "flare". 

I've always liked what Revok put up, too. Pieces, throwups, and definitely tags. So much style in just about everything he does. It's beat=utiful to see. 

And finally, you can't go wrong with Faust. His classic styling is perfect in every way. 

There's also guys like Canser and SomeOne who have great handstyles with heavy "flare". And I mean that in a good way. Their writing is definitely an art form. 

All that said... getting to their level takes practice, lots and lots of practice. I would wager years of practice, honestly. I don't mean that to discourage you but more to inform you that a good handstyle doesn't happen overnight. 

EHPdTD9WoAAJ23v.jpg

1d6941b39905f3753ce616cb43fed885.jpg

5fcaca086ba41cf6734127115f1a632e.jpg

62c4c7889fb205fc5dd67e98c34425ea.jpg

a1cfd1a40777221bfed69c2e7165be7c.jpg

2a077ca60206f51996913236b8f0a07d.jpg

0520fc7afe804046d80c0a530e2bd12e.jpg

4f2f232562533c3115fc49a9b648d5f1.jpg

@Joker once again man thank you for putting me on. No discouragement I'm taking from your words I just felt like I hit a wall and needed to see some things to put my skills into perspective. Out of the artist you sent I have to say that I'm rocking with 'SomeOne' the most the flow and lightness is just sticking with me.

• Like 1

@Aristo-  That is definitely coming along! You're correct, the A and R are too squished, but knowing you know, is all I need to know 😉

Have you tried curving the left leg of your A instead of the right leg? Maybe don't curve it so much? Having the right leg more straight might work to your advantage when flowing from the A to the R. Looking at your sketch, it kinda feels like the A and R are perfectly flowing together... like two letters in one. 

A few thoughts around that...

Untitled_Artwork 2.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Jokersrry i haven posted in a while, but trust me i've been wrkin hard. while i truly do appreciate the letters u gave me I found that they honestly are beyond my skill level, but any ways ive been messin around with any an all letters tryna do some basic straight letters an id love some feed back, also an i doing one point perspective/ vanish point correctly on the total piece. any an all feed back would be awesome

29CCFE00-F453-4DC5-9D58-EC2BDBEA078A.jpeg

0DEDF637-CD8A-41E2-811E-7C70DEC1D69B.jpeg

EB2016D2-7F08-4D40-86FA-A2B6041FA569.jpeg

C27B9C7A-C24D-43FA-A15F-C047FECAB304.jpeg

61A0F09C-BF3C-46BF-89DD-64173346AD8D.jpeg

• Like 1

@nachodik- I was afraid of that. Sorry... I've realized sometimes I take my "help" a little too far at it ends up being of no help at all. I definitely need to reign myself in sometimes when trying to guide up-and-coming writers. 

As for the sketches you've shared:

Butthole Tag -

This cracked me up. I used to get bored writing my name so I would often write curse words instead, like Bullshit and Fucker. It was a fun way to break up the monotony of writing the same thing over and over, again. I know, counterintuitive to the purpose of writing my name on walls. 

Total Sketch -

This feels pretty good to me. The only thing that seems like it could be finessed is the A. All the other letters seem like they're on the same baseline but the A looks like it's been knocked on it's edge. 

Pen Sketch -

I think the loop of the P could be slightly larger, but otherwise this feels good. 

Buter Sketch -

If you look at the top left of the B, that little extension going past the vertical bar, if you do the same thing to the R this piece would be good to go. Add a solid 3D or drop shadow and it's done. Nice. 

Daniel Sketch - 

This is pretty good as well. Three ideas, and these are personal so take or leave them, the lines in the horizontal bar of the A extend past the verticals... I think it looks odd having all of them. Maybe leave just the top right one that has the bend it and remove the others. Also, the bottom left of the I might look better if it overlaps the bottom right of the N instead of being hidden behind it. 

Nice job on all these - keep it going!!

• Props 1

On 4/12/2021 at 9:54 PM, GankGankGank said:

Some toying around...feedback? 

I'll get you some solid feedback this weekend, but right off the bat - I like the variety you've posted. Really like the "Cause" sketch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joker said:

I'll get you some solid feedback this weekend, but right off the bat - I like the variety you've posted. Really like the "Cause" sketch. 

Appreciate it! I try to approach each sketch differently. And I need to redo the “cause” , misplaced the S and want to make each letter more symmetrical. 

Some toying around...feedback? 

A2EF8312-455B-48BE-9EE2-D655AD4187F2.jpeg

I think because I know it says GANK that it's readable, but the G and N give me pause, anyway. I think the G needs to be opened up a little bit so it feels more like the shape of a G. The A seems fine. The N kinda feels like it could also be an A... honestly, I like it better as an A. It's more simple in it's style compared to the A you've got, and keeping things simple with a style like this is key. I think the N needs a straight bar going up at the right, similar to what you've done for the vertical bar of the K. Speaking of... the K seems okay but because you're using a bubble for the top right bar... it feels more like an R. Overall, not a bad sketch - I like that you're exploring something different - but keep your letters readable, first, then go in and add the bubbles and such to camouflage it. 

2846BF60-A06F-44A2-BF99-B07680CC6511.jpeg

This seems good to me. My only note would be that I don't think you need the little notch at the top of the R. It reads as an R without it, and it'll keep in line with the simplicity of the other letters. Dig the color fade, though. 

34403926-A338-4BB2-96B5-A67FAABE1FF1.jpeg

5B0BC91F-B695-465F-91E6-2930B02B1FEA.jpeg

Yeah, both of these are fun. The pencil in the "eye" is pretty cool. 

7A30006B-B2C3-4958-A3D4-99E4EB63EF2C.jpeg

If you look at this sketch as a whole, it's pretty cool. If you look at it letter for letter, there's a tell - and that is you started off simple and by the time you got to the K you took it too far. By that I mean - The G is very easy to read, but it still has the same style/flow as the other letters, the A starts to get a little too intricate but it kinda works with the G, by the time you get to the N the speed picks up and there's more notches and kinks in the letter, and by the time my eye reaches the K... the weight of the letters has completely changed, seems every bar has a notch and kink... it's too much compared to the G. Overall... the flow got wonky. Also, the bottom of the N you've got a bar that extends and then kicks to the right... this could be viewed as an E and not an N. I think simplifying the ANK to look/feel more like the G would make this piece shine. The colors fades are great, the layering of what is at the front and what is behind is really nice, too. 

699EA307-6FB4-4B15-8177-A62519669C6A.jpeg

Yeah, I like this one. For some reason it reminds me of old-school Baltimore pieces. If it were me, I would copy the A, mirror-flip it in the opposite direction and turn it into an S. Same with the C, mirror-flip it and turn it into a backwards E. There's no rules stating your letters HAVE to face a certain way. As long as their structure is relative to the readable form of that letter... you're golden. I'll post something in a bit to explain further. 

8679212F-8FD4-4E48-9A76-056819833A46.jpeg

Is this a KESR sketch? Again, I like that you're thinking differently but the extra bits and bobs around the letters are too overwhelming. Get the letters tight, first, then go back in and add all the bits and bobs to camouflage it. 

@Joker Man, some really great feedback I appreciate it. 
1st Gank- When you mention it, the G does look scrunched up now and N isn’t really defined as an N. 
2nd Sour- Don’t know why I put the cut in the R, definitely would look cleaner without it.

3rd Gank - I see what you mean, the G looks great but the other letter don’t necessarily match it, each letter gradually gains kinks and looses the original look of the G. Gonna try and redo this one see if I can get it cleaned because I like how it layered with the letters extending behind each letter and then the shadow gives it 3d look. 
4th Cause - that’s a good idea of mirroring the CA into an SE. Gonna try to redo this one again as well. 
5th Risk- Was supposed to say Risk not KESR. I definitely went to far with the extensions, I may clean this up too and try to make it more legible.

Awesome feedback dude,  I appreciate it a lot. You pointed out some things I wouldn’t have noticed or payed attention to and would of continued the mistakes. Gave me a lot to work with. Kudos to you bro. 🙏

• Like 2

@Joker been wrkin hard, trying out different ways to format straight letters, poteb is big,small,big,small,big, i was wondering if u knew any other formats i could mess around with, also i've been messing around with some fundementals. to fine art, forms specifically (spheres, cubes, cones) i was wondering wat the style of those letters (the p e b) is called, its not quite beveled, an im not sure that im doing the shading correctly but id love some help, an advice. also id love more resources on fine art fundementals if u have any (books vids websites ect)

293688BC-7C3A-4301-902C-0F32320B61D4.jpeg

3D2F1B0E-A67E-4F52-927B-BBDF2E386DCE.jpeg

• Like 1

@nachodik-  

1. The top Poteb looks great, honestly. There's nothing I would change on that. Nice job! As for the other formats to mess around with - you can try squared-off letters where there's no rounded shapes at all, take that idea further by making the letters the same size and on the same base line. You can mess around with writing it backwards, upside down, some letters backwards or upside down, adding a character in space of the O (can be original or an existing cartoon character). Be creative and have fun. 

2. This is called Chisel Lettering. However, you've chiseled the 3D and not the letter. Different approach, so kinda cool. If you go to the New Sketch Thread @E_B_Ais really, really good at this style. See his posts for inspiration but also Google Chisel Lettering for inspiration of simple form letters. 

Let me think for a bit on some websites/books for inspiration...

• Like 2