Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@glorydays

Nix the Helvetica Bold and work with Impact - it'll work better with the graph paper. 

Also, there's several kinds of graph paper out there - Squared / Isometric / Spotty. The Isometric paper might serve you better once you start adding some Graffiti elements to your letters. 

istockphoto-871207330-1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Joker
Tagged user
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Joker said:

@glorydays

Nix the Helvetica Bold and work with Impact - it'll work better with the graph paper. 

Also, there's several kinds of graph paper out there - Squared / Isometric / Spotty. The Isometric paper might serve you better once you start adding some Graffiti elements to your letters. 

istockphoto-871207330-1024x1024.jpg

whoa...bro, this is great

and i always wondered what that type of grid paper was called....i thought only calligraphers had that

• Like 1

@Joker

I found architecture paper with ALOT of real estate on it...the grids are just squares but will allow me room to just practice the Impact font

I found some isometric grid paper for adding graff bits

i dont know your opinion on using tools but i found some drafting tools to help with my curves

Edited by glorydays

6 minutes ago, glorydays said:

@Joker

I found architecture paper with ALOT of real estate on it...the grids are just squares but will allow me room to just practice the Impact font

I found some isometric grid paper for adding graff bits

i dont know your opinion on using tools but i found some drafting tools to help with my curves

Any paper with guides is going to help you, so use what is available to you. 

I'm assuming you're talking about French Curve templates? Well, personally I would discourage you from using those, as I would discourage anyone from using any kind of ruler, but ultimately you should use what you feel is going to help you. If you feel a French Curve is going to help you learn how to best nail learning those curves then by all means get one. Rely on it to get you there and then put it in a drawer and forget about it. There's no French Curves for helping you nail those lines when painting a wall. 

• Truth 1

22 minutes ago, Joker said:

Any paper with guides is going to help you, so use what is available to you. 

I'm assuming you're talking about French Curve templates? Well, personally I would discourage you from using those, as I would discourage anyone from using any kind of ruler, but ultimately you should use what you feel is going to help you. If you feel a French Curve is going to help you learn how to best nail learning those curves then by all means get one. Rely on it to get you there and then put it in a drawer and forget about it. There's no French Curves for helping you nail those lines when painting a wall. 

You're right...I'm gonna practice free hand

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joker said:

@glorydays

Does this help? The previous sketches were based on no fonts, I just drew them and figured the closest font you could use that is similar would be Impact. In the example below I used Impact, traced it, then embellished it. 

172E6EEB-3B32-4D88-9A94-1DBFD0A09B50.jpeg

yes, thank you

the 'S' on the last example was a bitch to recreate

22 hours ago, glorydays said:

@Jokerbro.....I am completely lost

I've been trying my damndest to follow what you say but I'm starting to get confused on how to approach these letters.

Well, the second and third ones in the left row aren't bad. The third one - the letters are overlapping a bit too much, but not too bad. I know it's frustrating to nail simplicity but I also think you're being too hard on yourself. For clarity, I tried to do all the crazy semi-wild and wild style shit before I could do a decent simple style. About four years into being a writer I forced myself to go back and learn simples (and even then I wasn't good at them). And once again about twelve years later I retaught myself simples (much better, now). Getting simplicity to look right is harder than creating a wild-style piece... personal opinion. BUT if you can do a good simple you can do good semi-wild and probably wild-style pieces. This is my thought, anyway. 

Maybe the angle we should take for you is Blockbuster-style letters (see examples below). For the most part these are basically the direction we've been going - but maybe if you add serifs it might help you to align the letters more clearly (Conan & Bates are examples). Tick-Tock Blockbusters are cool, too. I would stick to straight-bottom versions for now, though. 

u9ijnjU.jpg

773a930fc7a78b3ad8f4126f93e01f61.jpg

abovethelaw-final.jpg

Blockbuster (1).jpg

blockbuster.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ASOHL1 said:

32ED6FFC-D400-44D9-B8CD-0785A48B585B.jpeg

Bring the left bar of the K to the same height as the A, then bring down the kick leg of the K to the same baseline of the A. Add a drop shadow to the whole thing and this is good to go. 

Like this...

32ed6ffc-d400-44d9-b8cd-0785a48b585b.thumb.jpeg.f932706d5f985e5f8e655a258e62e3ab.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 6:03 AM, nachodik said:

yo joker, an any other old hed. i wanna learn callygraphy tagging style what is the best way to go about doings so? 

Not really knowing calligraphy myself this is a hard to answer question. 

I would think you need to know the basics of calligraphy in order to successfully mix it with your writing style, but I could be wrong. I've seen some absolutely incredible styles where the two have been mixed seamlessly... and I've seen some that made me wince. 

Personally, I would want to teach myself the basics of standard calligraphy, first. From there I would start experimenting with mixing writing handstyles and calligraphy. I would assume that, like anything, it would take a while to nail down so it looks right. That would be the fun part, though... the process. 

I'm guessing you've seen plenty of examples which has inspired you to want to learn but some of my personal favorites are the ones who are calligraphy traditionalists first, Graffiti writers second. Folks like Vincent Abadie Hafez and Luca Barcellona. 

I just did a Google search for tutorials and found this one: https://jakerainis.com/blog/a-calligraffiti-tutorial/

Kind of reiterates what I mentioned earlier but at least walks you through a few steps. A few years ago I grabbed a Pilot Parallel pen set and found them to be awesome. Once you get the nag of it you can always upgrade to a proper quill and ink set up, which will give you more freedom and opportunity to make your style look artistic. Unless you're just looking to learn a style for writing on the wall then ignore those bits and use a chisel marker. 

• Props 2

1 hour ago, billoboy2020 said:

how do you feel about this?

I feel pretty good about it. The left bar of the A and the right bar of the N are a little 'wet-noddle' looking, but only slightly. I see what you were going for with the same curve mirrored on both letters, so it works. Overall I think this is pretty solid. 3D/drop shadow looks good, too. Nice job!

Edited by Joker
Further thoughts...
  • Like 1

Just looked through a handful of pages online. They seem to really break every aspect down to its simplest form, and then guide you on how to make it stylistic. If a mentor isn't available, for under $20 this seems the next best step. 

@glorydays- you've had it for a while... what's your review? Did you find it helpful? 

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1
  • Props 1

4 minutes ago, Joker said:

Just looked through a handful of pages online. They seem to really break every aspect down to its simplest form, and then guide you on how to make it stylistic. If a mentor isn't available, for under $20 this seems the next best step. 

@glorydays- you've had it for a while... what's your review? Did you find it helpful? 

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!!

It's pretty good...it starts with the history and goes more in depth with what ou are trying to teach us. No that the info you were giving us was bad, but I think that the author had more time to organize and research the subjects needed for beginners

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...