Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 8/18/2022 at 4:47 AM, Joker said:

@EGGZ- I was just looking through your sketches again and something that kept hitting me was the idea of using your E to create your Z. It'll help you make your entire piece feel more consistent in the way it looks/feels. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-17 at 1.44.55 PM.png

Yo definitely will try integrate the reverse E to a Z look on my next. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@nachodik- just a few thoughts noted below. I tried to add some further ideas to the second sketch but it all got wonky, sorry about that. The gist is to tuck the back of your E under and through your R. This is a pretty common trick a lot of writers use and works pretty well. The top sketch looks pretty good to me, the only thing I would do is shift the E to the left slightly so the E and P are touching. All the other letters are connected/touching so this will make it feel a part of the piece. 

A65195E2-7E59-42BA-BC42-9DC6937AE0A4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, nachodik said:

@Jokergot some new sketches, id love a crit

A5B3C0E9-D40E-425E-A8FF-0833E5D2275D.jpeg

I think this sketch is fine but the leg of the R and the backside of the E being one 'thing' isn't working. I think because the only thing you have to indicate that it's an R is the little bit coming off the letter just before connecting to the E. If there was more of that, or more line work to define each letter more, that might fix that one minor area. 

On 11/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, nachodik said:

2FB59933-0F5A-461B-9257-3214A87F964D.jpeg

I've always been a fan of flat-bottom pieces like this. When I was coming up in DC I made a day trip to Baltimore with Mesk and Wake and we saw several pieces with that style and it blew me away. 

Anyway - I see what you're stretching for (sorry... had to 😉 )by elongating the R to the P but I think it's slightly too much a stretch. BUT, I love that you went there. Maybe the leg of the R goes behind and under the straight bars and comes back up to form the P? That way you can define the E a little more? Sorry, I don't have time for sketches today to show you what I mean. 

8 minutes ago, Ray40 said:

Back after a long while any advice, maybe a few demo sketches@Joker ?

26E2577F-BD8D-40AE-8731-5D294BA8CC3F.jpeg

Welcome back, Ray. 

Yep, that looks good for a solid simple. Your letters have similar weight to all of them, the bits to the left and arrow to the right give the whole thing balance. Nice. 

My only feedback is the Y has 50% more 'style' to it than the R and A. Either add some style to those letters or pull back on the Y. Up to you. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

@Ray40I like that throwie you got going on at the bottom left. Super solid. 

I have always liked that lower case asymmetrical Y.

That big Y you have at the bottom is your key. Play with that format and build it into a new R and a new A.

Screenshot_20221121-224718-122.png.9931b600a3d1abf17e95c166a3ca2ead.png

1879351025_Screenshot_20221121-224718-1222.png.7d084b03375989109f2b0886457c0bb1.png

191571164_Screenshot_20221121-224718-1223.png.529330f40aab47af416095bcd41fee6b.png

Thanks, will do

@Ray40

The sketch on the right is an old sketch I did for you a while back. I think you should study it… a lot… and copy it line for line until you know you can do it without looking at it. 

Same with the sketch on the left. 

The goal is to get you to understand the flow of the letters, the relationship of one letter next to the other, how the interact with one another. These are simple pieces, especially the left sketch, so it should be easy for you to learn from. 

The tags are horrible, sorry, but it’s something to work with. 

E36ADDB3-208B-4C3D-A6F2-83860E6EBEDD.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 2:29 PM, Aristo said:

I’m trying to work into using more serifs and extensions but I feel a little lost going into it. 

5C716C1C-2B31-4D53-9861-DD16FE5118B0.jpeg

I feel like you have missed opportunities for some connections of your letters instead of the overlaps. Your E can use some space from your M. The last bar of your N could use some bend that reflects the shape of the A, M and E.

@Aristo- The first thing that jumps out at me is there are some connections to be made to clean up the overall configuration. For example, the right leg of your M is almost the exact same curve and shape as the back bar to your E, so I would merge the two together to clean up that connection. Same with the end of your E... you could connect that directly to the left bar of your N to clean that connection up as well. 

As for adding serifs... to help with this exercise I chose a slab serif font as my example to work from. Basically I got the letters where I wanted them and then went back and added the serifs. Doing this helped me connect my letters even more creating a nice, fluid form to the word. I tried my best to keep your letters so it feels familiar but let me know if this is hitting the mark on what you're trying to achieve. 

Amen_Edit.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

@Joker

not sure what other threads you frequent but I thought you might get a kick out of this. 

The hype Vault mag from about 10 years back had  a double page spread that might be yours.

Yep, those are two pages from one of my blackbooks, early 90s. That letter "I" study in the upper left was obviously very much inspired by HR Giger, whom I was a big fan of at the time (still enjoy his work but in the late 80s early 90s I was a bit obsessed). The "Cohc" piece was painted at the Franklin Wall in San Francisco. I think it ended up in IGHT as I was sending Phase2 a lot of photos during those years. While the headline notes my "...stylish characters" - they have always been inspired by my mentor ETCH, from Washington DC. That guy single-handedly inspired an entire city with his characters and letters. 

Thanks for sharing!!

• Like 1
  • Props 3

• 4 weeks later...