bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I did 107 miles today in 6 hours, 42 minutes (actual time on the bike, I stopped 3x to pee). This fall weather is perfect for long rides, minus the constant wind, especially along the shore here.

On the subject of flats, I'm riding some Kenda touring tires with "Iron Cap" which they claim is some sort of bead-to-bead anti puncture lining in the tire. Nevertheless, some unknown object still managed to puncture the sidewall and blow my rear tire the other day.

• Like 1

Hey yall,

Question.

I ride some crappy D-back hybrid mountain bike and managed to break 5 spokes over the summer, which i probably rode 40-50 miles before replacing (daily commuter). When I replaced them the rim (back) straightened out and there was no more lateral play.

However, just the other day I got back on and found another broken spoke on the back and the rim itself was bent pretty significantly. I'm not sure how. Over the summer the shop I go to (on the cheaper side of ones in the area) estimated $60-80 for an entire new wheel. The bike cost me maybe $300 new. Do i buy a new wheel or a new bike ?? Is this back wheel structurally fucked or worth fixing?

Thanks in advance.

injury: you can find entire crappy bikes for 80 bucks on CL or ebay, if you're just looking for a beater, don't bother, if you'd like to continue getting life out of what you have then 60 bucks for a wheel is nothing.

and without further ado, I would like to introduce you all to Delia. My first 29er and 1x9.

I've been piecing this together for about a year and a half now, buying when i found a good deal, splurging when i found a must have.

the last time i posted a pic of her was this:

167815_505483411965_193400020_30132487_8064741_n.jpg

and now complete:

308348_508273460685_193400020_30167844_460184321_n.jpg

302973_508273475655_193400020_30167845_815705245_n.jpg

Rocky Mountain Hammer 29 (reynolds 725 steel)

Rock Shox Reba Race

Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert wheels

Kenda Nevegal dtc 2.2 f/r

Formula ORO k24 disc (180 f 160 r)

WTB Valcon SLT Carbon w/ ti rail saddle

Thompson ELITE stem and seat post

Easton ea90 carbon bars

oury/ODI lockons

shimano xt shifter/rear d/cassette

Race Face Deus XC crankset

Race Face Team XC bottom bracket

Premium Products SLIM platforms

n-gear chain guide

wipperman connex chain

I've only put about a mile on her, going to do some more road miles today to figure out all the adjustments to dial her in. unfortunately i've got drill all weekend so I won't be able to get some trail miles until next week which is likely to be nothing but rain... sigh. the NW

• Like 1

choc & soup, you guys tried out cross yet?

looks like i'm gonna be in your neck of the woods for SSCXWC at GGP this year.

also, joker - you been racing the wednesday night alpenrose series? watch out - we've been getting slashed tires left and right, including the one that took me out of 1st place contention last night. some kind of mystery sharp rock is wrecking havoc on dudes' high-end tubulars.

Rubbish... can't do the Wednesday night races. My race doesn't start till 8ish... I'm usually in bed by 8ish. The unfortunate circumstance of having a job that requires me to be there mega-early. I heard a few stories about the slashed tires... sucks because tubulars are not cheap to replace.

Racing tomorrow and Sunday. Should be fun. I wonder with the few dry days leading up to Sunday if PIR will still be a shit-show. Love that race when it's muddy...

So yesterday I felt a strange shift in my frame while riding home. I stopped and realized that the the seat tube has fully separated from where it joins the bottom of the frame.

bikec.jpg

Is this fixable? Is it worth it (bikes pretty beat)? How dangerous has this bike become? It felt fine the rest of the ride home beside me being able to shift that part of the frame with my legs a bit left and right. Hesitant to take it down hills or mash with it.

Thoughts?

As far as I know it is a steel frame from the late 70's - early 80's. It is heavy and has taken some serious abuse. But it is a frame that is way to small for me so the extra weight could be an issue. I have actually been slightly spooked the past couple of months that it will fall apart mid hill and have been riding this bike 4+ years.....so

yes, Kobes...possibly a RIP Nishiki moment...?

:(