bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Congrats on the win, Rubbish!! How was Hillsboro? Wanted to race so freakin' bad...

I usually use Gatorskins for my wet weather training, and early season racing. However, this past year I tried out some other tires (the make escapes me at the moment) and found that I really like them. Not one puncture all year long, including the dreaded Northwest winter training. That's either me enjoying a bit of luck, or the tires being really good.

Got a new job in Seattle, though I'm not completely moving there. The wife is staying in Portland and I'll come home on most weekends. Going to be tough. If anyone has any info on Seattle routes/rides... PM me. Thanks!

Right now it's the perfect time of year to destroy all the single track in my area. Unfortunately, I've been recovering from a broken rib for the last couple weeks. It's so much harder for me to relax then it is to keep moving. To make it worse, there are shit tons of group rides and event happening in my area over the next couple weeks.

Please disregard my rant, I'm just complaining...

Rubbish, you going to Bend for the Halloween races?

Yep, I'll be there both days and plan on doubling up the racing day one: A's followed by SS.

Joker, Hillsboro was dry, bumpy and endless u-turns. Some fun terrain for sure. My first race out with the big boys in the A's - second to last row call up so I wasn't exactly at an advantage, but who am I kidding? A's are fast.

Anyways, was rolling around the 40th place area until I snagged my shifter on course tape and a stake while riding the bumps out in the corral area... got passed by about 10 people and then got back in with a new group and hung out with those guys with the rest of the race. (And by 'hung out', I mean 'nearly vomited' while managing to look as disoriented as possible.)

Around every straightaway, I could really lay the gas down and make up about 5 positions in the race, but come hairpin and u-turn territory, I slowly got gapped back off. Definitely got my work cut out for me, as u-turns have always been a weakness for me and now that's really shining in a stacked A field. Also, my running is mediocre at best right now so I'ma get back on that train soon and get some solid early park runs in in the near future.

After riding myself into the gutter for a good 5 weeks getting that elusive mechanical-free 1st place last Wednesday, I'm taking a much needed rest week (5 days, really).

I'm really excited for the rest of the Crusades schedule.

Alright, this is my first post in the bike thread and I suppose many of you are knowledgeable here about well.. bikes.

I am planning on buying a fixed gear (hipster) soon and I have no idea what to get. I know absolutely nothing about bikes so I was wondering if any of you could suggest something to just start out. I'm looking for anything $250 under.

I just want to use it on night rides with friends. They suggested that I go to bikesdirect.com and buy one from there and I saw these bikes for sale at around my range: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_steel.htm

I have no idea if they're good bikes at all. Also, what type of wheels should I invest in? I don't want my bike to weigh a ton. I was totally against them and called anyone who rode one a hipster faggot, but I totally take it back. I rode one tonight and it was the best thing ever.

Thanks by the way.

EDIT: Oh, I'm also 6'1 and weigh 200 lbs, if that helps. Or if it even matters.

no problem, man. i completely get your attitude and where you're coming from.

i lurked about 30 pages and xjonathanx actually bought one of these. according to what he says about them, they're pretty decent bikes to ride. i also never found him complaining about it. looks like i'll be buying that and keeping it until i can get a geared one.

sorry to bust your thread guizzzzzzzz.

Eresula: love my bike, nothing bad to say about it at all. The only thing ive done is put a different saddle on it and different tires. You wont even need that after youve ridden it, and you sure wont find any real reason to upgrade anything for a while. Occasionally i can get the bb to make sound if im really stomping on it, but i never serviced that when i put the bike together so ill chalk that one up to me. Ive pounded the shit out of the wheels being a retard on it, got them trued once theyve been fine since. There 3 cross so you have nothing to worry about even if youre a fatass. I fully suggest this bike.

Scratch all that, ive got the aluminum version. if you want cheap bikesdirect steel, get a kilo tt. dont ask questions, just get a kilo tt.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_al_carb_x.htm

If you want any info on just about ANY bikedirect ssfg bike, search here I guarantee its been talked about http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/178-Singlespeed-amp-Fixed-Gea

And to make this post useful to everyone else heres a nonbranded bosberg

IMG_0175.jpg

Thanks for the info man, I really appreciate it.

I'm kinda glad that such a solid priced bike will turn out to be super efficient and great. I get paid tomorrow so I will buy that bad boy asap!

the steel version and the aluminum versions are completely different.

Just ordered a frameset :scrambled:

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/F100Frameset.html with a full carbon fork :cool:

Gonna go with a rival/apex mix and MAY put a campy front derailer on it cuz the co-ops got a couple for cheap. May also get a set of ching chong 50mm carbon clinchers. :D

I ended up buying this Motobecane: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/track.htm

I lurked a couple of threads on bikeforums looking for more info on the Dawes SST AL and most people said that the version prior to the new 2011 was much better and that you'd be better off getting a Moto or a Windsor, but they recommended the SST AL for track use while the Moto and Windsor are more for commuter use.

A lot of of people like the Moto and they've said positive things about it, so I just went with that. The AL was outta my price range anyway. I don't doubt it's a good bike, though.

In all honesty, it's a fad.

I'm guessing single speed bikes were originally for people looking for a constant "workout" or to train for a marathon or something.

i wouldnt call it a fad. i know people who have been riding a fixed gear for fuckin ever. its what i ride and its not for any trandy hipster fashion reasons. i just like it. sucks dick going up and down hills but on mostly flat ground i can haul ass. and im fat and old. it feels fucking weird to ride a bike i dont hve to constantly pedal now. dpesnt feel right.

people who talk shit are retarded. its a bike. do you talk down on people who ride mountain bikes on the street? probably not.

whatever.

bikes bikes bikes. ride ride ride.

bout to buy me a new frame.

shit yeah.

I ended up buying this Motobecane: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/track.htm

I lurked a couple of threads on bikeforums looking for more info on the Dawes SST AL and most people said that the version prior to the new 2011 was much better and that you'd be better off getting a Moto or a Windsor, but they recommended the SST AL for track use while the Moto and Windsor are more for commuter use.

A lot of of people like the Moto and they've said positive things about it, so I just went with that. The AL was outta my price range anyway. I don't doubt it's a good bike, though.

I gave you all the info you need to know.

going budget on frame fork or wheelset is an absolute no-go in my book.

i'd rather not have anything on a budget, but that is THE BIKE, the rest is details...

Youre talking about the wheels I mentioned right? I'm either going to get a set of Neuvation front and back wheel cuz the set weighs about 1620 for $320 or a set of Mavics first.