bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

got a question for those of you in the fixed gear knowhow.

crank slipped today, same feeling like then the rear wheel isnt tightened enough and the spindle slips in the dropouts, but the real wheel didnt slip at all.

is this loose lockring or fucked bottom bracket? havent had time to track down a lockring tool and im not riding my bike to the bike shop if it turns out to be the bb. also, not taking a fucking screwdriver/hammer combo to my lockring.

If you think the locking is loose, put your front tire against a curb or wall Si the bike can't move and put all you weight on a pedal as if you wanted to go forward. That's an easy ghetto way of tightening it.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just downloaded Strava on my phone and clocked it up for today's Sunday ride. My stats say I rode 126 miles and averaged 30.6mph... what gives?

Actual distance is more like 80 miles with a 16.1mph avg. according to my CatEye.

In other news my cross bike is back on the road and it rained today!! This is totally awesome, save for the fact that my ride flaked so no racing this weekend for me. My legs are absolutely thrashed after today's mixed terrain (40% gravel) ride though. I did this: http://www.rapha.cc/otto-miller--round-one

Joker you gotta join me on these Otto Miller rides. They're slaughtering my legs!

Choc, if the rental place doesn't mind you getting your bike extra grimey come whenever you're on vacation here, same goes for you. Otherwise we can stick to good ol' pavement...

Rubbish what phone do you have? I use my iPhone 4 and NORMALLY my shit seems pretty accurate, but yesterday it said I rode out to Mt Diablo, sat around for two hours, then rode home. It didn't track the whole ride up the hill. I was looking forward to seeing how i did on that climb in that BRUTAL fucking heat with one water bottle.

I gotta start packing gu or something again. Gatorade only goes so far.

And does anybody know how wattage differs on different tires? Its more for 30 psi 35c knobby tires, right? I know I'm slow right now but shit, can't be that slow.

iPhone 4.

Yeah looking at it during the actual ride my readings were off as fuck, but a few hours post-ride it somehow swung back into accurate measures.

One water bottle is a mistake! Last time I pulled a stunt like that, I had to take an emergency stop to accumulate some of these:

mexican-coca-cola.jpg

Gu works super good as insurance on a long ride - otherwise I just come packed with Clif Bars and PBJ while training cuz cheap, easily storable and good size-to-calorie ratio. Definitely been bailed out finishing the last 10 miles of a century with a Gu though, whereas if I hadn't had it I would have been passed out on the side of the road.

I can't think of what turn that is but it looks like the northern road to mt tam, maybe a few up past Alpine Lake?

Rubbish, or whoever, are there any drawbacks from leaning on lots of water/electrolytes/GU during training? Does your body learn to work with less if you give it less? Or does your bod just quit sooner? I feel like i did the Gel flask/two water bottles, etc. and I got to the point that I could ride forever. Not very fast but forever. Not that I'm having to rebuild everything Im wondering what the best way to do this is.

it's kings mountain road in woodside.

beautiful roads -- shitty people driving cars. +1/-1

in terms of bonking: i find that the meals i eat the day before, along with that day's breakfast, have a lot to do with my performance and ability to push through.

that said - i'm all about eggs, potatoes, avocados, broccoli, sprouted bread/bagels and then lot's of slow release sugars for the morning of - like apples and bananas and whatnot.

seems to work for my riding/racing schedule.

Soup, it's an ongoing debate and I go back and forth. There's one (old) school of thought that says that intentionally bringing insufficient food and bonking at the end makes the body adapt to less food and run more willingly on fat reserves instead of carbohydrates. I think this is the way to go for weight loss, but if you're already skinny, it doesn't do much help.

There's another school of thought that says if you start starving the body, you're going to end up losing muscle mass and not be able to go as hard. I think this is pretty much on the money; especially during intervals, going in underfueled or not refueling between sets is a recipe for disaster, or at least not being able to go as hard and as long as if you were refueling.

I'd say there's truth to both schools of thought - lightly starving yourself near the end of the ride will shed some weight if you don't make up the lost calories by eating yourself into the ground after the ride, but sufficient fuel (carbs) is best in the long run. Additionally, just the act of doing LSD miles in the winter will push the body towards running more on fat reserves than carbs, although that's partially due to slow twitch muscle recruitment.

In regards to Gu and gels, they're awesome during races (especially on the starting line of a crit; that's my secret weapon when I attack off the line), but relying on them during long training rides is kinda expensive. I'd just throw some maltodextrin or dextrose in your water and have a steady backup of solid foods, or at least Honey Stingers/chomps.

Choc i haven't ridden anywhere on the peninsula. I hear there's a lot of good trails in that area too. Cant think of the names.

And carb loading the night before reminds me of this old swim team tradition we had the day before a big meet. Everybody's family brought a few pounds of spaghetti and the kids would each eat a few pounds. Those were the good ole days.

Didn't get to race this weekend due to being sick most of the week, prior. I was feeling good up until Wednesday. I had gone out the day before and done some hill intervals and felt really crappy. Just no energy and the legs were not responding. Should have known I was getting sick. Bummed to have missed the race, and the last five days of riding, only to now be headed out the door for four days of vacation.

I'm going to be the lantern rouge of all the Masters-A Cross Crusade races, this year...

Choc, what the fuck is that thing above the apple? Looks like a lemon plum mutant thing. Im being anti kit until I get one that actually belongs to a team so I'm gonna either need one of those small camelbak backpacks or one of those retarded bento boxes.

I havent installed a computer on my bike yet. I should have a couple old cateye astrales with cadence around. I don't really use em because i know what 80 rpm feels like and don't care enough about how fast I'm going at that moment.

I want a garmin 500 so i can buy the garmin vector when they come out and use em with my keos. Not sure why they ONLY work with keos tho.

2012-garmin-vector-pedal-based-power-meter.jpg