bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

For training I've experimented a bit over the years - sweet potatoes, the Garmin rice cakes, honey (in the little plastic Hammer flask), cream cheese/jelly sandwich with bacon (so good on a long ride near the end), etc.

What I've found is nothing really beats the Clif Bar or PBJ for calorie to size ratio. I could probably get enough energy eventually from eating the sweet potatoes or rice cakes, but not with the limited about of space I'm allotted in my jersey pockets.

I am allergic to peanuts, so powerbar, clif bar, and pbj are all out for me. On centuries I have sometimes brought along a loaf of multigrain bread (pre sliced) and divided between the three pockets on the back of my jersey. Sounds bizarre but I find it both satisfying, and energizing to chow down on a few slices of bread every hour or so.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

40cm bars on nearly all my bikes... 39 or 38cm on my street track bike.

As a general rule of thumb: use your road width as a benchmark and go one size up for cross, one size down for track. Preferences vary. You can also measure your shoulders from the center of each bump to get a ballpark range of what width would work best for you - try to aim for 1-2cm within where your shoulders measure at.

the set of neuvations i once had ended up cracking where the nipple meets rim …and i'm not heavy.

conclusion: they're shat.

……………………………………………………………

today:

tumblr_ltslseXPsD1qavjv0

I can't even tell if thats tam or diablo back there. Where is that?

that's diablo back thurr - the trailhead is on some 'restricted' bullshit.

the trail was, as you can see, super well kept and linked up to a bunch of others that need exploring.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

on the food tip - these are what i've been making. they pack up in foil nicely and are a much needed departure from 'technical' foods for the time-being.

whole wheat blueberry persimmon almond raisin oat griddle cakes. pictured w/ apricot preserves. wut wut

6337745830_0b60800d3a_z.jpg

Love moots too, but, what's up with the setback on all those seat posts?

You'd think they'd clean those up for show

cuz setback is PRO!

I need a jacket that's waterproof but isn't cooking me when it's 50 degrees out. Anyone have one?

i'm having super good luck with my patagonia windbreaker. not sure the model cuz i got it used, but it's their "H2NO" waterproofing, fwiw. the pit vents are top notch, the fit is nice and tight around the torso for wind cutting, and i can use it for everything: commuting, training, and as a "warm up jacket" to get my body heat up before shedding it for cross races. just looked at all the tags and i can't find a model name on their though, so i guess my recommendation is just shop patagonia windbreakers :o

I checked November off my "century year" calendar today. Unlike previous rides where I've stopped every 25 miles to pee and stretch, today I did non stop 50 out, stopped for a quick lunch, 50 back. Also on previous rides I have carefully conserved energy on the first half of the ride, today I actually pushed myself from the start, with the wind at my back, trying to better my previous times. I shaved almost 40 minutes off my half-way time, but riding into the wind on the way home, I could barely crack 14 miles an hour. In the end I beat my average time for this ride by about 25 minutes overall, but tonight I'm in a lot more pain than I usually am after a big ride.

it's been a long time coming but i finally found a bike i liked enough to settle on.

nothing crazy. certainly used. will post flicks soon when i'm not lazy. but i wanted

to ask you dewds good sites for components. used. or new. fancy stuffs or not.

looking for petals and drop bars and such. so far the sites i've looked at aren't pulling through

i want black petals. brooklyn machine works seem to have nice ones but i was unable to confirm a

pourchase for some reason.

Race report:

Soul crushing.

You talking about PIR? I had my best race of the year there honestly. Bear in mind, it was Cat C, but by and far my best finish. Ended up 18 out of almost 120. I didn't find the course that difficult but maybe it was because I was early in the morning.

what kind of pedals are you looking for? flat ones (like on a bmx bike) or a road bike pedal with or without toe clips? i just ride black shadow bmx pedals on my road bike, i'm not into clip pedals or other ones like that. the shadows are nice because you can put straps on them pretty easily.

flat ones i reckon. not really into the clip thing yet. BLACK.

drop some sites on me.

Famous Amos, I raced SS and A's...

A's race wasn't too bad but I dropped a chain between my frame and chain-catcher with about 2 laps to go in the race. Fuck. Couldn't adjust it without a tool, so DNF'd it as a result.

Borrowed a friend's Surly Karate Monkey to do the SS race. Pros: wide risers, 130mm stem, disc brakes. Cons: bike didn't really fit me at all, pip-squeak gear ratio, 25+ pounds heavy. It worked great on the twisty-turny stuff, but bad in the mud and horrible on the straightaways where I usually make up the majority of my time racing SS. Also, my lower back gave out about halfway through. For some reason, the lower the bars, the better my bike feels during races. Confirmed this on multiple race setups... my cross bike would be almost as at home doing crit laps as it is grinding mud the way I have it set up.

Anyways, I laid the bike down multiple times in SS... these things happen when you're on someone else's bike, so it's all good. I also had snot all over my face and it was pissing rain. I felt like I could have done a lot better... by the time there was 2 to go, I just wanted it to be over and there wasn't even the luxury of having a drum line making half of the race epic as fuck anymore. The nice thing about cross is the next weekend is always totally different than the last. Bring on SSCXWC in SF :D I'm just gonna run my race bike SS for the rest of the season after, so it should be good times. Can't wait to strip that pound or so of weight off tomorrow...

measure from middle of seattube in a straight line (not with the slope of the top tube) to the middle of the headtube. That is your size, some may call this your reach but I consider reach to include stem and saddle. Try using a string to get an accurate result then measure the string