Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest HESHIANDET

bicicletas

Ugh. Not more than 8 miles into my first ride on those Pro Race 3's, the fucking front tire gets a nasty 3cm tear, likely from some glass (no particles in the tear). Changed the tube, made it on time to the meeting place for our local Thursday Worlds ride and didn't flat after, but fuck, Michelin. Their tires ride so nice but this is the 2nd or 3rd I've had durability problems with and getting a tear like that on the first ride is unacceptable.

Gonna patch it up and hope for the best.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

finally on the bike, somewhat, after last saturdays race/fail:

route was some unkept farm roads - real rough stuff with a solid climb and a twisty/bumpy (see: gnarly) descent.

at one point the field strung out and a lead group formed, which i wasn't in.

started working with a few others and gaining some good ground once we got a solid paceline running.

all was lost when i was taking a pull through a right-hander and this lone smart guy decides to pinch my line into some gravel. i'm assuming he was still rotating through the turn - like a n00b.

in the end my ankle took a harsh shot, hand got nice and chewed up, helmet took some kind of puncture wound but my bike is basically sound.

about 30 people finished out of a field of approx 70.

and so goes my first shitfilled 'DNF'.

bostonbiker.org

boston have been on some gruesome shit this week. One rider in critical condition in the hospital, another fataly hit by a bus on wednesday. i know this thread has some serious riders but it never hurts for all of us to use some extra caution when out riding.

also opinions on some of the comments posted on here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100409gruesome_wrecks_raise_concerns_for_cyclists/

Shit like that sucks but unless the city is behind making the changes that bring awareness to drivers... unfortunately, not much will ever change. Adding bike lanes is a massive cost to the city so most refuse to use their dollars that way, and in turn, the cycling community suffers and never grows.

We're incredibly spoiled here in Portland when it comes to having a bike-friendly environment...

First crit of the year for me... race report.

Cat 3 crit, 40k, about 30-35 racers. For the first 3rd of the crit, my teammate spent some time off the front in a break but got caught. In the counter attack, a few people went out and I responded, following them. Over the laps, our four man break got about 35 seconds on the field.

Until... a friend in front of me crashed in a corner on account of forgetting to wear his contacts (luckily he took no one with him), and I cramped up with a side stitch. Of course, I was the lone sprinter in a group of TTers, so that could have had something to do with it. Anyways, I fell off the back of the break, the four man lead turned into 2, and after a few laps I got swallowed back up by the main field and recovered in the back.

With about 5 laps to go, a teammate got off the front and stayed off, somewhere between the break ad the main field. Lots of attacks and counterattacks that tired down the mass field. I stayed out of the wind, sucked wheel and got deep in the drops. With about two to go, I got in the front to avoid being boxed in... then got swallowed back up into a midpack box. Lap to go, same deal... but this time, I took the lead of the main group, got a few bike lengths on the field while we overtook 2 lapped riders through the last corner, then took a tight line through the corner alone and sprinted for the mass sprint win. 5th place overall. Stoked!

Next week: 75 mile race, feed zone, 1/2/3 field, 50mph descent and supposedly a 15% grade somewhere in there. Real ass road racing...

Jesus Christ that's full on, I'm still whinging about my dislocated finger a week ago from downhill, I feel pretty lucky now!!!!! Amazing story

Ha seeing that link makes me feel a lot better. After 3 years of biking/commuting nearly every day, and so many close calls, I got in my first car vs bike accident today. Classic, I'm passing a few cars at an intersection, in the bike lane, watching their turn signals, and at the last second, a car right in front of me signals right and turns right in the same instant. I slam into the side of the car. Ended up with nothing more than a bruised hand and a dislocated stem. Could have been so much worse. Pretty sobering. Watch your selves!

Has anyone ever heard of Mikado Bicycles? found one in the trash and its in good condition tried googling them, but no dice.

did our local crit-esque ride yesterday and some of my typical hills today, and i feel sketched out in the pack and on the descents.

sucks.

i guess it's a natural feeling after a crash, but it's weird and has me kinda bummed on riding.

thoughts? comments? suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new wheelset.

I've been looking at the Mavic Ksyrium Elite vs. the Easton EC70 sl

Anyone have any words of advice on either? They both seem to be solid wheelsets with good reviews all around and weight is about the same. Price is just about equal as well. Just trying to get a good feel before I drop near $700.

The Mavics are pretty popular here. A few buddies have them and I havent heard anything bad.

The ea90 sl might be a closer match weight and price wise?

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a new wheelset.

I've been looking at the Mavic Ksyrium Elite vs. the Easton EC70 sl

Anyone have any words of advice on either? They both seem to be solid wheelsets with good reviews all around and weight is about the same. Price is just about equal as well. Just trying to get a good feel before I drop near $700.

I would avoid both and go handbuilt.

With these hubs (http://cgi.ebay.com/CIRCUS-MONKEY-ROAD-Hubs-F20Hole-R24Hole_W0QQitemZ110506024984QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19baac2018), Kinlin/IRD rims and Sapim or DT spokes, you can build a sub-1500g wheelset for sub-$500.

Better yet, follow Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding guide and build them yourself. You'll save dough and come out better in the long run.

did our local crit-esque ride yesterday and some of my typical hills today, and i feel sketched out in the pack and on the descents.

sucks.

i guess it's a natural feeling after a crash, but it's weird and has me kinda bummed on riding.

thoughts? comments? suggestions?

You're doing the right thing getting back into the action as soon as you can. Time is your friend here - you just gotta give it awhile before things feel natural again. Also remember that tenseness in your mind and body show up pretty fast in your bike riding in the pack, so try to relax and stay low on the caffeine if you drink it for now...

thanks.

___

looking into a retül fit

a bit pricey but i think it's worth it considering how much of myself i invest in riding and being competitive.

anyone ever have one done?