bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

Real talk - aside from all the hipster/douchebag baggage attached, fixed gears ain't all bad. They make fine commuters (less parts, less maintenance) and the lack of gears really doesn't matter if you actually ride your bike to get your heart rate up/legs burning a bit. Just gear sensibly for however flat/hilly your city is and throw a brake on if you really feel like you can't stop going downhill or prefer not to ride like an asshole (personally I love it and hate things like safety and weight, so no brakes for me). Hell, now that my road bike's history I'm doing all my training on track bikes to get ready for CX until my cross bike is back in proper condition.

But don't get any illusions - throwing lots of money into your city track bike is strictly a fashion statement unless you actually race. I'm not going to pretend I never did it, because I did and it was lots of fun, but having a stable of bikes (with gears) is 1000000x better than having one really nice track bike that you're afraid to lock up without losing a wheel.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There's nothing wrong with fixed gears. They beef up legs faster than anything (for a guy who's just riding around with no exercise routine.) They also fix cadence, so as a town bike, when you want to get the most out of those 10 mile rides, there's nothing better.

The problem's with the people that ride fixed gears. That "cheap and low maintence" aspect of fixies doesnt really work when you're changing out parts every week for that NJS/All italian/New colorscheme build or whatever. I had a pista concept for a few years but when i was going to be doing 70+ miles a day I reached for the conversion because it was steel and more comfortable. That bike hadnt had a bearing repacked since 1984 and it worked better than the $1000 track bike.

Im ranting because I'm pissed I can't get my friends to ride a road bike, cross bike, or mtb once in a while. Its like loving ice cream and hating every flavor except vanilla, because vanilla looks the best.

I dig that panoramic app because it stores GPS coordinates of the photos. You can click on where it says "California United States" and it'll show you exactly where each panorama was taken.

Here's where that first one's taken on Las Trampas Ridge:

http://maps.google.com/?q=37.8316666667,-122.0625&t=h You can get to that park from a ton of places, but to get to it from Moraga I had to tresspass on this one guy's property because he built his house in the middle of Bollinger canyon road... I feel bad for trespassing. Moreso I feel like the type of person who gates and padlocks a firetrail, and puts up no trespassing signs, probably owns a shotgun... especially since all the road signs up to this point have bullet holes in them. Recently on the edge of town (like a mile away) some growers opened up an assault rifle on a park warden... so right now might not be the best time to go trespassing. It really is a lovely town tho, with friendly people and beautiful scenery.

Im in Moraga for the rest of the month before moving somewhere else. What ridges have you been riding? I still need to ride Lake Chabot.

Real talk - aside from all the hipster/douchebag baggage attached, fixed gears ain't all bad. They make fine commuters (less parts, less maintenance) and the lack of gears really doesn't matter if you actually ride your bike to get your heart rate up/legs burning a bit. Just gear sensibly for however flat/hilly your city is and throw a brake on if you really feel like you can't stop going downhill or prefer not to ride like an asshole (personally I love it and hate things like safety and weight, so no brakes for me). Hell, now that my road bike's history I'm doing all my training on track bikes to get ready for CX until my cross bike is back in proper condition.

But don't get any illusions - throwing lots of money into your city track bike is strictly a fashion statement unless you actually race. I'm not going to pretend I never did it, because I did and it was lots of fun, but having a stable of bikes (with gears) is 1000000x better than having one really nice track bike that you're afraid to lock up without losing a wheel.

What ratio do you run? I'm running 48-16 right now. Normal rides i like to do are about 25-30 miles and 2500-3000 feet of climbing. Thinking about going to a longer gear, but cant find and 15t freewheels so i guess i should be looking for a bigger chain ring. *braces for the knee killer speech*

Not sure why this happened on yesterday's ride, but I was in a paceline with two other guys and we were pushing some pretty high wattage, and had been for about the last ten minutes. We came up to a small roller, the last guy in the line attacked, the two of us reacted and caught him, then I blacked out. Oddly enough... I didn't go down. Somehow I managed to stay upright on the downhill section and "came to" just at the base. It was a small roller, so not that amazing, but I feel pretty lucky. I slow rolled home shortly after. I felt dizzy most of the day.

The wattage was high but nothing I haven't been doing in intervals, so I'm confused why it happened.

OK there bicicletas I need a good bike for commuting in seattle I will be riding about 5-10 miles a day round trip and climbing some super fun hills also will be dealing with the following: rain, trash, human bodies, syringes, flannel shirts, etc.. So I have been looking at road bikes but am concerned about the tires being able to take the day to day ride and also keep traction in the rain or other fluids on the riding surface. Any help would.. well it would help

A rolling blackout, joker? lulz. Seriously I'm with Fist on the doctor tip, preferably a good one that doesn't just say, "See me if it happens again." I get tunnel vision when it's clear I havent pre-gamed with the right foods, but luckily i've never blacked out.

Metalasfok, I dunno what to say dude the rainiest cities on the west coast are also the most bike-centric cities in america. I think you'll be fine.

John I'll top that. My last post talked about how recently a marijewuana grower opened up on a park ranger with an assault rifle IN the sleepy town i grew up in. (Growing's nothing new but shooting at people is.) Also for the last two days Park Police Helicopters (I had to google the insignia to find out what kind of helicopter they are) have buzzed me for TWO DAYS, coming within 50 yards of me (once on Ridge Top Rd, once on Bolinger Canyon Rd). Shit was crazy. The other day on Choc and mine's favorite road, Punehurst, I could hear an assault rifle firing off in single shots, three round bursts, and occasionally full clips. I think there was also an intermittent a shotgun, or something with two LOUD rounds. Sounded like M80's. It sounded like someone was practicing, but there isnt a shooting range for 20 miles and I've never heard gunfire from this road before. So imagine if you will you're riding along and you hear gunfire. Its enough to make you reconsider your direction of travel, but DEFINITELY keeps you on the main road and designated trails. No tresspassing on fire trails for me. If it's not the dude with the AR, the park rangers and DEA will definitely prosecute.

It was hard to pinpoint where it was coming from, because its in a canyon. But somewhere near redwood road and pinehurst. Not trying to drop a dime or anything but I've lived in the area for 15 years and if you're growing near hikers you're a fucking idiot. There's SO many better ways to grow. Take it somewhere else. And an AR? Really?

damn soup - wild shit.

i lightweight thought of how it could be dangerous for the hiking and exploring, but i'd imagine those growers are smarter than to place their operation anywhere near a trail or the like.

but, ya never know.

in other news

tough tough race today.

lot's of wind - the kind of wind that brings you to a standstill while climbing and then does the same when you drop down the other side.

not sure where, but i missed the decisive break.

worked my ass off in the chase - went otf (of chase group) towards the finish -- 2 spots shy of a sweet t-shirt and some funds.

in the end i'm happy with how i performed.

67mi. 7000+ft.

hurtsauce.

Edit: Dont want to drop dimes. Anyway the gist is redwood park is safe, avoid the private areas for now...

Im bordering on bullshit drug talk so heres a pretty bicycle or two. Also, Im finding a little dishonesty in either michellin or ritchey when it comes to tire sizes. My 30c Mud2's are wider than my 35c Speedmax's. Go figure.

cimg2631.jpg

cimg2632.jpg

cimg2633.jpg

cimg2634.jpg

cimg2635.jpg

cimg2636.jpg

cimg2639.jpg

cimg2640.jpg

cimg2722.jpg

cimg2709.jpg

Anyone know much about Somec?

My boss has a Somec flash lying around the shop someone brought in with a cracked headtube. He welded the crack and the tube doesnt look warped or anything, havent tryed puttin a headset on it yet. The customer is a chick who didnt realize to weld, the paint gets a little messed up or ground away. Shes thinkin of gettin a new frame.

With the repaired headtube is it worth anything still?

Nice work Choc.

Joker, my only guess is it's something blood sugar related. Definitely get that checked before CX time.

XJonathonX, I've ridden 53/19 for the last 3 or 4 years. Works for everything outside the track. 48/16 is a little steep for road riding IMO - you want to spin and have the versatility to get up steeper hills. Otherwise just get a road bike.

A rolling blackout, joker? lulz. Seriously I'm with Fist on the doctor tip, preferably a good one that doesn't just say, "See me if it happens again." I get tunnel vision when it's clear I havent pre-gamed with the right foods, but luckily i've never blacked out.

Metalasfok, I dunno what to say dude the rainiest cities on the west coast are also the most bike-centric cities in america. I think you'll be fine.

John I'll top that. My last post talked about how recently a marijewuana grower opened up on a park ranger with an assault rifle IN the sleepy town i grew up in. (Growing's nothing new but shooting at people is.) Also for the last two days Park Police Helicopters (I had to google the insignia to find out what kind of helicopter they are) have buzzed me for TWO DAYS, coming within 50 yards of me (once on Ridge Top Rd, once on Bolinger Canyon Rd). Shit was crazy. The other day on Choc and mine's favorite road, Punehurst, I could hear an assault rifle firing off in single shots, three round bursts, and occasionally full clips. I think there was also an intermittent a shotgun, or something with two LOUD rounds. Sounded like M80's. It sounded like someone was practicing, but there isnt a shooting range for 20 miles and I've never heard gunfire from this road before. So imagine if you will you're riding along and you hear gunfire. Its enough to make you reconsider your direction of travel, but DEFINITELY keeps you on the main road and designated trails. No tresspassing on fire trails for me. If it's not the dude with the AR, the park rangers and DEA will definitely prosecute.

It was hard to pinpoint where it was coming from, because its in a canyon. But somewhere near redwood road and pinehurst. Not trying to drop a dime or anything but I've lived in the area for 15 years and if you're growing near hikers you're a fucking idiot. There's SO many better ways to grow. Take it somewhere else. And an AR? Really?

There is a lot of "private" gun ranges around that area. I know we have one on our property on the backside of the hill of Crow Canyon. I wouldn't worry about it too much...

At my most rash of moments I contemplate the design for a ring tipped with a piece of spark plug porcelain to deal with getting pushed off the road/hit. That, or tying a hunk of the porcelain to a piece of string to provide a yo-yo like window smasher.

Anybody ever hear of any such things being used? Of course I know devices like this are ridiculous and you probably wouldn't be able to generate the proper velocity to actually smash a window but, sometimes, like in hit and run cases, they just seem like such a good idea.