Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

2 years ago I had drug induced psychosis and gave up the weed but began drinking more and more now recognizing that I'm an alcoholic gonna try meetings and not hang out with certain people I'm trying to fill my time with art school and music which is sometimes hard because I have no sober friends who I do this stuff with

I basically made the decision today to become sober and quit cigs as well

would be nice to hear some advice for the very first week

Inj thanks.

Fell asleep mid tag on a bench with the marker in my hand. CDs charge graffiti charge. It wouldn't be terrible except its not the first time for any of these charges. I'm super depressed now like how could I be so dumb. Not to mention all the work I put in went to waste.

Don't relapse. Shits so not worth it.

The work is not wasted just because of a relapse. It is what you do next that will make the difference.

We are all working the same 24 hours, some of us just got more of em in a row. If you go back to the one day model you will be fine.

The legalization of marijuana here in Washington has had the addict in me doing all kinds of mental math about how to rationalize getting high again. In the end I know the answer for me is to continue a path free from mind altering substances regardless.

i think i may be an alcoholic.

alcohol is getting in the way of my school work and is affecting my personality and health in an extremely negative way.

i embarrass myself on a regular basis under the influence of alcohol.

i have been arrested many times while under the influence of alcohol.

i steal alcohol/steal for alcohol.

i am completely blacked-out drunk 3-5 nights a week. i hide this from my girlfriend that transfered to a school 100 miles away from me. she would dump my ass if she knew about my drinking habits.

i am drunk right now.

i realize that this is ruining my life. i feel this way often, but i know i will be drinking in an irresponsible way soon again in the future.

I posted this in April of 2010 and my alcohol problem got WAY worse.... but fortunately I had a life changing experience 7 months ago and have been 100% completely sober since.

I still smoke pot, but that was never the problem that my daily use of alcohol was.

I must say, things are definitely different now. I am finally strong enough to hang out with people that are gettin their crunk on without giving into temptation. I actually find myself getting bitter now, I absolutely cannot stand being around idiotic drunk people anymore. But I know people had to deal with way worse shit when my ass was getting annihilated, pissing my own pants drunk.

Tonight I was at the first non-homegroup, non-commitment meeting I have been to in ages and ages; I went with a friend that went off the deep end not too long ago. It was nice to see faces other than the ones see every week.

Helping other people has always helped me, provided I go into the situation in the help-them not help-myself mode. When I honestly go to help them I [inadvertently] help myself.

Honesty is key; demons can't hide in the dark. Took a long while to man up and be straight up.

These are 2 reasons I go to meetings; but I totally dig it if it ain't your thing, but I'd say worth checking out since its better than the potential alternative

• Like 1

Stressed the fuck out chain smoking new ports. Anxious as fuck and depressed as fuck. I'm itchin like a mother fucker. Not withdrawals or nothin. Just a one time relapse...it's just the anxiety that's fuckin killin me right now. Can't eat sleep or nothin. Fuck.

Sucks man, i know the feeling, anxiety doesn't hold anything back, it's a bitch. Just got my heart broken, and it's affecting me a lot. Things were going well for me(work-wise/friends/productivity), and spending time with a nice woman was very positive, and makes life naturally enjoyable. Now I'm going through packs of cigs, when I was well on my was to quitting minus the occasional one.

Been hanging out with this one acquaintance who's 40, and miserable. I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but they live alone with no friends and just drink, and is a complete mess, and it's super sad. I hate to see that behavior in someone else, because it makes me not want to believe that i see some of myself in that. I really want good things in my life, and don't want to end up that way. good luck chestnut.

Sorry to hear that dude. 50 days is a good run, and that still counts for something, it was time for your body to heal. Now you have a chance to break your current record, and go for 51. Nobody is perfect. Had a bad night last night, and ended up in a shitty bar and hanging with shitty strangers. mad weird. felt like ass all day and puked. not happy with my situation at the moment, and need to get back on top and be happy again. I was there not long ago, and it's all gone now. Hate that things take time, i'm so impatient.

On a positive note, I went to a halloween party sober a few weeks ago, and it was still fun. Was at a friend's show the other night and didn't drink. Hated being in that loud atmosphere where everyone is doing the whole going out thing, and I just needed to chill, sometimes it's best to just stay in my room and watch tv in bed.

I personally disregard the God part and have found that reflecting on the sentiment expressed in the serenity prayer can bring clarity to a number of seemingly complex situations.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Not related to sobriety but today marks 2 years without nicotine. The nice part of that one which does mirror some of the benefit of being clean is that I am not feeding the companies that sell tobacco, which is in line with some moral beliefs I have. Basically not being anybodies bitch.

Stressed the fuck out chain smoking new ports. Anxious as fuck and depressed as fuck. I'm itchin like a mother fucker. Not withdrawals or nothin. Just a one time relapse...it's just the anxiety that's fuckin killin me right now. Can't eat sleep or nothin. Fuck.

out of nowhere after 2 years clean i started getting anxiety...

i take meds for it.

jcatoner.

something i am learning in my pharmacology course is that years of abuse and dependence have fucked up our neurotransmitters and when we stop using our brains are functioning out of whack, tendency towards more depression/anxiety etc. then average joe.

taking the antidepressant/antianxiety literally changed everything, its been 4 months now and no complaints. am i happy i am taking medication....no! am i relieved not to be dealing with anxiety on a daily basis....yes!

keep it up bros...

it's getting really bad. i'm sick a lot. people have to remind me to eat. etc.

i don't know if i'm going to take any steps to try to change it though

i've been seeing someone who's sober/been in recovery for a year

it's pretty embarassing to be drunk around her or shaking from hangover/withdraw

if she could be around more often i think it'd be easier and i'd take steps towards cleaning up. but she has a full plate. school, job as a mental health counselor, recovery, family, etc. so a lot of times it's like she's not in my life

nobody really is a constant other than my "band"mate

and i usually work from home

so i can pretty much just be alone and drunk almost 24/7

yall nurgaz got advice?

I drove home really drunk last month. Ended up hitting a pole at 125km/h and flipped the car on its side on the street I live on. License suspended for a month and the car was totaled. Ended up crawling out the back windshield covered in blood. Chunks of glass stuck in my hands, arms and head. Needless to say I don't drink much these days. Honestly, I should be dead.

As far as advice...Be your own reason to stop drinking. You are man enough to grab this problem by the balls (nohomo) and sort it out for your benefit. Start small and work your way up, for example tell yourself that you aren't going to drink at certain times of the day. "I won't drink before noon" or "I wont drink between 4-6" etc. To me, relying on other people to be the main source of your help isn't the way I would do it but If its the people around you that will help you stop, find some new people. Get involved in some shit that doesn't have alcohol involved. There is an abundance of genuinely interesting shit going on that can help you at the very least cut back on drinking. It might not totally rid you of booze but it might put a dent in your normal intake.

• Like 1

you got lucky there, you didn't die and you only lost your license for a month. I got done for mid range DD earlier this year and lost my license for 9 months, first offence ever, not even a speeding ticket on my driving record. That was the moment I realised I needed to get my shit together and stop acting like a jerk.

I didn't consider myself a full blown alcoholic but definitely a problem binge drinker. I'm not going sober, I can't stop completely but I go for weeks without drinking, do not always drink when I go out, limit myself to one beer with dinner when I go out to eat. small steps.

Like 423894 said, it's not something you need to rely on other people to do.

It needs to be something you do for yourself.

Sounds like you are dating a potential GOOD resource to help your problem, but this person cannot be your sole solution because again, you need to do it for yourself.

As far as the physical symptoms go; it seems like you might should consider a detox. It would help put just a little spacetime between the booze and you and from detox you can go from there whether it is inpatient/outpatient treatment or something else.

Surround yourself with supportive people, but to beat a dead horse, do it for you and not for them.

Best of luck homie keep us posted.

So whats some fun sober things to do? Any ideas I'm trying to cut my drinking down a decent amount after moving 2000 miles from home and getting arrested for tagging and now an aggravated dwi within a month and a half. I don't even have the money for a lawyer or to pay all this off plus i found out the day I got out I got a job now I don't know what to tell them. But shoot me a pm with any advice on how to fall asleep, keep my mind off drinking or even be around people drinking. The few people I know out here all drink and I don't wanna sit around watching netflix all day. I do draw and stuff but any other ideas that are kinda out there I might enjoy. Or any advice really i know i gotta take classes and all that, community service, fines and whatever else. Btw I got my dwi at 10 am blew a .28 from the night before.. thanks

i

i don't know if i'm going to take any steps to try to change it though

i've been seeing someone who's sober/been in recovery for a year

it's pretty embarassing to be drunk around her or shaking from hangover/withdraw

yall nurgaz got advice?

She has probably been there herself so let that go. If she hasn't many in the group have. You are nothing new to her.

The 12th step is carrying the message to other alcoholics and in it, they advise (it is a program of suggestions, not commands) that they don't bring up the program unless they think you are ready, which you admit that you aren't. That's fine. I hope you get there.

If/when you are, bring it up first but her sobriety is going to be more important to her than yours. You have put sobriety first then everything else.

I am working on that part myself.

Like 423894 said, it's not something you need to rely on other people to do.

It needs to be something you do for yourself.

That was one of the Daily Meditations here not too long back. Am I relying on one member too much? Good stuff.

I really to stop making excuses and get back around the tables.

any thoughts on what constitutes having a drinking problem? i binge drink alot, and find that after three beers i crave more and more, so normally if i know i can only have one beer, i wont even drink it, cuz it will just make me feel like shit. I dont put alcohol ahead of my responsiblities like work or school, and i refuse to drink when the sun is out, unless i'm at like a BBQ or something. But i find myself drinking alot more regularly, out of the past 5 days i drank everyday, and got drunk 4 out of the 5.

well, depends... are you still alive... 12 years later?

So whats some fun sober things to do? Any ideas I'm trying to cut my drinking down a decent amount after moving 2000 miles from home and getting arrested for tagging and now an aggravated dwi within a month and a half. I don't even have the money for a lawyer or to pay all this off plus i found out the day I got out I got a job now I don't know what to tell them. But shoot me a pm with any advice on how to fall asleep, keep my mind off drinking or even be around people drinking. The few people I know out here all drink and I don't wanna sit around watching netflix all day. I do draw and stuff but any other ideas that are kinda out there I might enjoy. Or any advice really i know i gotta take classes and all that, community service, fines and whatever else. Btw I got my dwi at 10 am blew a .28 from the night before.. thanks

Get outside! is my advice.

one can only be alone and do things alone for so long before you start to go nuts. trust me on this one.

paint legals, it was (still is) extremely therapeutic for me, at least.

shoot photos.

read and stimulate your mind.

exercise.

join things (organizations, volunteer groups) that let you socialize in alcohol free environments and even might make you look good for that upcoming court date in the process. Think boys & girls clubs.