Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

That's a good idea. Maybe if we just had a general room that people could pop into at anytime to see if anybody else is there to chat, discuss, give advice etc and also have set times for more formal meetings. Similar to how we used to rock the old 12oz tinychat room. Could definitely be beneficial and easier to access then logging in to post here.

Day 16 and struggling.

Tonight was an awesome meeting but I am struggling with the 5th step. I randomly called a cat from the meeting and asked them to be my sponsor. I am preemptively working step 8 and have no clue how to go about it. Any one want to claim my name and tell UP I'm sorry :)

yeah neither do i, but once you get past that its not so bad. god can be whatever you want it to be, like you wife or kids or something. step 8 is tough and prob not something u should be worrying about with 16 days clean man...if your sponsor is having you do that already....get a new sponsor...seriously. you need to worry about yourself right now. step 8 will come along when the time is right man

why is step 5 that difficult?

I've done a lot of shit over the course of my drinking career that I am truly ashamed of. Just revisiting them on paper sucks and saying it out loud is going to be even rougher. I see the necessity, to clean out the gutters and not letting the past cloud the future, owning my thoughts and actions so I can move forward but damn, I know it's a process that will take a lifetime and I shouldn't have any expectations at all, especially that it would be easy.

I am still of the instant gratification mindset and really should start getting out of that frame.

While I do see that step 8 is hard, probably would be my hardest step if I did this, why is step 5 that difficult?

I do not think I would ever do the 12 steps, due to me not believing in god.

most folks think that step 5 is hard because you are admitting all you faults to yourself and another person.

If you do the step right, that means every time you got over on people, all the times you fucked over friends and family....all the fucked up perved out stuff you have done etc.

Plus all the resentments you have against people, most people have a bunch."I'm mad my pops used to fuck me up." "The nun at school used to peep my dick and rub her tits in my face." Shit like that, which can be hard to admit.

Literally you are supposed to come clean on everything. The idea being that this frees you from the guilt of suppressing all your bullshit and getting all fucked up because you live in fear of anyone finding out your secrets.

Honestly, when I did my 5th step I was feeling hella nervous and had anxiety about telling my sponsor all the fucked up shit I had done. As I started dropping the rock I felt like I was not going to be able to do it...

Then as I started to break down everything I actually did feel better getting things off my chest. And I have done some fucked up shit.

One thing is you need to trust your sponsor isn't going to put your business out on front street. With all the years I have been in the program I haven't heard about that happening very much if at all.

In fact the 2 sponsors I have had have both told me dirt on themselves and that made me feel cooler about dropping some scust on myself.

As far as the 8th step that is making a list of the folks that you have wronged and being willing to make amends to them. It's step 9 that you are actually going face to face with people and making amends.

I have actually tracked down dudes that I robbed and paid them. Imagine that.

Anyway folks keep doing it however you're doing it.

Peace.

@ CILONE/SK

God is just a word to define a concept. It has nothing to do with any organized religion and the big book has an entire "Chapter To The Agnostics". By and large, I still say fuck christianity but I accept that there is a power greater than me (I wouldn't have thought there was anything greater than me :))

My main problem with the big book is that it was written in 1936 and the language they use shows. (Whoopee party? She has been so accustomed to wearing the trousers??} I'm a supporter of the program but not a fanatic. If you can stay sober by some other means, peace to you and yours. I tried willpower and failed so why not try this?

step 8 isn't a step you need to worry about until you finish step 7; and it doesn't sounds like you're there yet. So no worries.

It gets easier with time, which is easy to say, but hard to accept it if you're into the instant gratification (I was because I was there too once... still am, just in different ways now).

I don't think i got to my 4th step until i was at least about a year sober. Maybe more (not counting my treatment 4th step).

Shit's gonna get tough inevitably but that's when I rely on my G.O.D. (group of drunks) to have my back. Some of my best friends are either sober or know what I'm up against and it's best to surround yourself with positivity (If that's your goal).

Real recognize real, hang with the winners.

Much love and hang in there cause it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

yeeeeup. still at it. a year ago right now, i was dealing with some heavy shit, digging myself out of that hole... now my life is incredible. worth it? fuck yeah.

If any of you dudes struggling (or not, either way) want my celly to have someone to hit up when you're on the verge of faltering, holler. I'd be more than happy to help remind you why that shit is lame. I'm not on that program tip, but i think i could make some sort of freelance sponsor type deal. figured i'd throw that out there as a means of support since i'm rarely on here to ramble my findings...

• Like 3