Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey guys

i didnt go cold turkey but i have cut my use in half. the hardest part is trying to convince myself I dont NEED to get high before stepping out, before going to the corner store, before meeting up with whoever. breaking the ritual is almost as hard for me as the withdrawal. i still havent told the girl. we had a pretty ugly argument about other shit so i was using kind of heavy again after that just because i was stressing out. stumbling but i haven't fallen yet. some kid got killed by a train in brooklyn, every time a train pulls up for a second I think about laying down. but that is pure punk shit. im just tired of having to argue with my fucking self all the time every goddamn day.

• Like 1

@vincent - i know how your feeling man, i wish i had something positive to say to you. but i know where your at and i feel your pain.

thanks, I know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this kind of shit, far from it to be exact but does anyone else find it hard to relate to the average AA goer? I'm not saying I'm special or really that much different from anyone else dealing with substance abuse but fuck if it's hard to sit there and be like yeah college kid scared from their first dui or suburban father with 15 years sober, soccer mom who liked to drink alone, yall know where I'm coming from. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be self righteous or pretentious like I was more fucked up than them and I hear at least 2-3 things a meeting that I needed to hear or I can relate to but as far as finding a sponsor or something close to personal connection within the program, I'm skeptical. Didn't go to a meeting today, the one I went to last sunday was a fucking joke, young kids every where and it was more like a fucking social event than a meeting. I left super pissed off and vowed to never go near that meeting again. I'm going tomorrow though, another day sober. glad i found this so I can vent to yall.

I'll never be able to wrap my head around people who drink 6 beers a night thinking they're an alcoholic.

facepalm.jpg.

ill never be able to wrap my head around people who come into this thread and try to pass judgement.

if 6 beers everyday is a problem for someone, its a problem, nuff said.

if someone feels like they need to buy a six pack everyday just to get by, its a problem.

if youre coming into this thread for a quick read, youre obviously having some doubts as to where youre at in your own alcoholism.

this isnt a pissing contest, this isnt an "i can drink more than you do and i dont have a problem" thread.

this thread has been a major help in my own struggles, and the anonymity and advice i receive is very beneficial and therapeutic.

take it for what it is.

good luck homies, its a huge accomplishment when you can look yourself in the mirror and realize youre not the piece of shit that liquor can too often make you feel like you are.

trust me, theres a light at the end of the tunnel.

its never easy, but nothin worth doing ever is.

peace.

• Like 1

i have a hard time relating to people in aa meeting, went a few times and never went back. i cant relate to the housewife or the dude with 20 years sober, or the kid w a dui. the shit reminds me or a cult and it kinda creeps me out. i would recommend spending alot of time with someone who understands the problem that you can trust, maybe a close friend or even a parent, i personally wasnt able to carry around money for 2months because i would end up spending all of it on booze or drugs. maybe play some xbox or something. it gets easier eventually...i think

what i appreciated about the meetings was that there WAS variation in the kind of people that were there. 70-somethings with 20 years... 50-somethings with dying wives, hardly any time... etc.

i realized that my problem wasn't a unique one, and that it wasn't hopeless to solve it. hearing these different folks describe the same mental torture that plagued me was a relief... and as a result, that was exactly what i had in common with them. yeah, most of us were probably more different than we were similar, but that was not an issue with me. i let my guard down and began to understand that they all were dealing with the same shit. that was comforting.

alas, i don't go to meetings anymore, and haven't since essentially the first month and a half, but that was for my own reasons.

just let your guard down with those folks and take in what you can from it.

it's a lot like a college lecture... some of it is going to be downright uninteresting and grueling, but when they get to the good shit, soak it up. you're there to learn the perspective of others.

some of the meetings i go to have dudes that did years in the pen, ex-military, dudes tattooed from their toes to their necks, punker bitches, etc

other ones i go to have a bunch of 50 year olds who have first world problems.

bottom line is that if you arent digging a meeting find another one.

look for similarities not differences, but if you dont dig it, don't go.

STOPPING IN TO WISH EVERYONE A SAFE AND ENLIGHTENING JOURNEY INTO SOBERDOM - AND TO CONGRADULATE ALL WHO HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN RIDDING DRUGS & ALCOHOL (AND ANY OTHER COUNTERPRODUCTIVE HABITS) FROM THEIR EVERYDAY LIVES... I AM PROUD OF YOU ALL REGARDLESS OF HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME!!

I HAVE TAKEN A FEW STEPS BACKWARD IN THE RECENT PAST BUT HAVE MY HEAD IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION & FULLY INTEND ON GETTING THERE. SET REALISTIC GOALS FOR YOURSELVES. STAY ACTIVE. BREAK THOSE DESTRUCTIVE ROUTINES. EXAMINE AND PINPOINT YOUR USING BEHAVIORS. LEARN COPING MECHANISMS FOR THOSE INEVITABLE INSTANCES YOU FEEL TRIGGERED. NOTIFY FRIENDS AND FAMILY - THEY CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR STRUGGLE. KEEP YOUR BELLY SWOLE WITH BARBEQUED PORK SHOULDER AND RIB TIPS.

I HAVE TO GO MAKE AN OMELETTE. STAY UP AND STAY SOBER MY NIGGAS AND NIGGETTES. GET IMMIGRANT PUSSY AND SWAP VENEREALS.

XOXO, -SWORD (NEWEST MEMBER OF BONE THUGS 'N HARMONY)

• Like 1

I didn't get high or drink yesterday. I'm not going to drink right now, and hopefully 'right now' will continue again today.

I had a sort of epiphany concerning what the chemical reactions have done to my emotional stability. I already feel closer to the old me and it's only been a day.

Anger will be my trigger, and when it arises I hope I have the sense to exercise to raise my endorphin level, or use tobasco sauce to release seratonin in my brain. We'll see, probs gonna look for meetings in the area soon as well.

Boredom is a bitch as well, Staying active and keeping the mind busy is crucial to my success.

accidentally took a sip of someone's drink thinking it was my usual soda & lime... immediately spit it on the floor and laughed about it while sucking on my lime slice. i was kind of tripping at first but got over it. i had kinda wondered what my reaction would be in that situation... glad it was one that i'm comfortable with.

keep handling this shit guys... it's worth it.

I ate a chocolate full of rum by mistake a few months back...that was a bit of a shocker. All good though. Come to think of it, I eat a shit load of chocolate now that I don't drink. Excess weight is steady on the decline though.

Sugar cravings are a bitch when I'm not drinking. This isn't my first effort. It was suggested to me when I started going to meetings to always carry hard candy in my pocket for sugar cravings.

There's a lot of sugar in alcohol. Some of the addiction is to the sugar in the substance.

Currently craving hard. Hope it leaves soon...

for the most part the addiction is within us, as opposed to the substances

its all the same really, i hate when people in AA get butthurt about drug talk (although i have found that at most meetings, talking about how drugs played a role in your alcoholism/addiction is accepted.)

keep trying it redeye, the mind is the first thing to work on and it seems like even the idea of trying is half the battle

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS/ADDICTS!!!

SOME REALLY BAD THINGS HAVE BEEN HAPPENING TO ME THIS & LAST MONTH... BUT BEING THAT I AM ALCOHOL/HEROIN/COCAINE FREE - I HAVEN'T FELT THIS GOOD IN A LONG WHILE. I MUST ADMIT THAT I LET THOSE NOT-SO-GREAT THINGS GET THE BETTER OF ME IN THE PRETTY RECENT PAST, AND I DID HAVE SOME RELAPSES.. BUT THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE HAS HELPED ME BETTER IDENTIFY MY TRIGGERS AND HOW TO COPE WITH STRESS MORE POSITIVELY & PRODUCTIVELY. NEXT STEP IS BEGINNING TO TAPER MYSELF OFF OF THIS METHADONE PROGRAM. SURELY DON'T WANT TO BE ON IT FOREVER. IT'D BE A LITTLE LESS IRRITATING IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO BE AT THIS CLINIC AT 6AM SIX DAYS A WEEK BUT IT'S A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR KEEPING THAT NEEDLE AT BAY.

I HOPE ALL OF YOU DO SOME SERIOUS BINGING THIS EASTER - ON HAMS!!!! AND PERHAPS A FEW DOUBLE-BAKED POTATOES AND ALL THAT OTHER SHIT WOULDN'T HURT EITHER.

probably because it is severely addictive and most people who develop opiate addiction end up suffering all types of shit.

just guessing here. think about it, they give people methadone to kick heroin addictions, if you are just some kid looking to get high and do not have a history of opiate use the shit is going to get you wrecked.

at the clinic in my neighborhood a lot of the junkies sell their methadone.

there are folks here who can speak on this from first hand experience. why are you curious are you trying to troll or are you serious?