How did you guys end up on or "discover" 12ozprophet?

glorydays

I was talking with @mr.yuckand that got me thinking about how I ended up on this forum.

Here's my story:

Back in the day, Icollected Jordan 4's and 1's only. all i did was camp out for sneakers to wear or sell.

my collection got so big that my dad threatened to throw them out. So i sold them all and only wore vans for the longest time.

I was at the hundreds store one day off fairfax street. All those brands on fairfax were usually what you wore when you were collecting sneakers in LA. I was always at the hundreds store. Hundreds was on rosewood at the time and the owner, bobby kim, would always allow us to skate his store back then. this was 2003. At that time, i didnt know that supreme was moving in.

When 2008 rolled around, i was going to Cal State Northridge. I was at the hundreds store, but it got wild popular. Fucking grip of fuckboys hanging around like they were part of the crew. So i decided to walk down fairfax.

I passed crooks and castles, solomon's book store, diamond supply.....then BAM i ran into supreme. they opened in 2003 in LA. I didn't even know. so i walked in and bought some shit.

the first thing i bought was the penant new era, cargo pants, and the Rizzoli book. thank god i bought that book, cuz i saw "12ozprophet" as the photographer.

That's how i discovered 12ozprophet.

I know i was signed up on the forum back then, or i could be tripping. I hated when the store was down for years. Once the first tees dropped, i think, in 2014 i was copping. that's around the time i got to know Raven. I've been talking to Raven for 6 years now...this month oh shit.

• Like 1
  • Props 4

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I cant remember what the mail order shit was called but i think it predated the forum. I was sending in money orders for caps. I think there was an early board where there were no accounts or passwords. You just typed in whatever name you wanted to post under at the time. Late 90s maybe.

• Like 3

Rap letters. I honestly dont remember how. I know i found bombingscience first, then i think puregraffiti, once i found 12oz it was a wrap though.. may have been word of mouth from other writers. 

I contributed a lot of shitty photos to the Boston thread back before it became a total shit show and was a reflection of the state of things in the city itself. Once that thread got closed down and became the Massachusetts thread i kinda tapped out and stayed in Ch0. 

Made a lot of benching threads back then too. Then i realized i should just make 1 thread and keep updating it. 

• Like 4

I just checked and it says I created my profile in 2001. I'd been lurking for about a year before that - a couple of my friends became mods on here back in the day,  I've only just started checking in regularly again over the last couple of years and was surprised my login still worked!

• Props 2

Found IRC way too confusing (circa 1996) and figured there had to be an easier way for writers to discuss shit on the internet. Met a kid named @Misk-TheDragonthat was a hax0r and helped put up the first forum. Following that, he would hack into competing sites and redirect their traffic to 12oz for a few days until they could figure out how to switch it back. Used to pay him in free sodas and mail order merch cause he was just a little kid, we were all young and 12oz was just getting started. Now he’s a trial lawyer. 

True story. 

• Like 3
  • Props 7
  • LOL! 2

11 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

I cant remember what the mail order shit was called but i think it predated the forum. I was sending in money orders for caps. I think there was an early board where there were no accounts or passwords. You just typed in whatever name you wanted to post under at the time. Late 90s maybe.

The mail order did pre date the forum, but it was true mail order. I advertised caps in both the early 12oz zines and a couple other zines of that time (Crazy Kings, Volume One, etc) and then the first catalog dropped as a 1 page, folded in half in 1996. By 1998, we had full on catalogs (think those are in the history thread). Selling caps actually predated the zines though. Used to go to clubs and sell them in the parking lot as early as 1994. Printed two color flyers at kinkos (in those days they had copiers where you could select red, black or blue toner and I’d run then through multiple times). Also sold boot leg Krylon tees I made in between Andre the Giant tees when I worked for Shepard. 

There never really was a non registration forum for 12oz. There was something similar on a briefly posted thevapors.com website like that though. Was sort of our answer to a NY Forum that was around at that time (can’t remember the name of it), but was a total shit show as you can imagine. 

• Props 1

12oz has been a part of my life off and on since I was probably 12 years old. I saw issues one and two at an older friends house and then got issue 3 on my own. The message board was just an extension of that. The magazine represented a lot of folks from out my way so it felt like I belonged to whatever they were producing. I owed my allegiance to the people who took the time to show me the path in some sense... Thanks Raven.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

14 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Found IRC way too confusing (circa 1996) and figured there had to be an easier way for writers to discuss shit on the internet. Met a kid named @Misk-TheDragonthat was a hax0r and helped put up the first forum. Following that, he would hack into competing sites and redirect their traffic to 12oz for a few days until they could figure out how to switch it back. Used to pay him in free sodas and mail order merch cause he was just a little kid, we were all young and 12oz was just getting started. Now he’s a trial lawyer. 

True story. 

That's a pretty cool story.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

14 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Probably... Guessing those are the forum beef tees and ones @Jokerdesigned. 

I did a 12ozPROPHET shirt?!?!? Damn... that’s cool. I have no recollection of that. Oddly enough, I think I remember the forum tee... it was kinda baseball themed with caps as heads, right?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Joker said:

I did a 12ozPROPHET shirt?!?!? Damn... that’s cool. I have no recollection of that. Oddly enough, I think I remember the forum tee... it was kinda baseball themed with caps as heads, right?

Based off artwork where you were drawing on old shooting target silhouettes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joker said:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3