The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

On 5/30/2020 at 7:35 PM, mr.yuck said:

Before we bought our house a few years ago, we were looking to buy land up to an hour away from the nearest metro area and the land itself wasnt affordable. Its crazy that since this area is bordered by water everywhere there is only one way for expansion and that is inland. So with expansion pushing outwards places that were rural woods and 2 lane roads 10 years ago are now fully developed strip malls for the new shitbox communities to go spend their extra money. 

My worst fear is buying a piece of land an hour out to build my dream retreat only to have it converted into another suburb. I dont know how far I would have to go before this wasnt an issue anymore.

I have the EXACT same fear.  I think you really have to just judge the city.  I live in a "cool" city so it's growing like stupid fast.  45 minutes out of downtown austin isn't far enough right now.  I think you'd have to move 1.5h out of town to be safe for the remained of your life span..... depending on where you live now.

My biggest gripe, I know, already is going to internet speeds that suck..... but maybe by that time the muskrat satellite internet system will be working and available for civilians.

• Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
3 hours ago, misteraven said:

I think that's getting quickly outdated. Internet made it possible for people to make money from anywhere. I know two people puling in near or over 6 figure incomes per month (yes, month!) from out here. Both are self made and both came up thanks to the internet. Yeah, I know not everyone is as savvy and maybe these guys also had a little luck on their side, but its happened often enough that it clear that it can be engineered. Working on exactly that myself.

This.  I fully intend to live in a rural setting and continue to make money doing tech work remotely.

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I have the EXACT same fear.  I think you really have to just judge the city.  I live in a "cool" city so it's growing like stupid fast.  45 minutes out of downtown austin isn't far enough right now.  I think you'd have to move 1.5h out of town to be safe for the remained of your life span..... depending on where you live now.

My biggest gripe, I know, already is going to internet speeds that suck..... but maybe by that time the muskrat satellite internet system will be working and available for civilians.

Ive been dreaming of moutain towns in the Appalachias in western Virginia. Its beautiful up there but I dont know. That shit might be too banjo for my tastes. The last time I was out that way, I saw one too many roadside tent church revivals with healing snakes for my liking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_4855.thumb.JPG.0449f10daaffda258a517ab5ac1178c3.JPG

IMG_4856.thumb.JPG.feeef2d94c111073763e8ec6952f01ea.JPG

Mammoth snow peas.  Plants have reached beyond 6' at this time and are making tons of large snow peas.

Below that, the beginnings of Chinese cabbage.

Tomatoes are just flowering

2 varieties of hot peppers are starting to bud

Lot of basil

cilantro

mint

Waiting on wild berries that I encouraged the hell out of this year.  Some over 6' at this point

have to think about visting the farmers markets soon

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 4:49 AM, One Man Banned said:

IMG_4855.thumb.JPG.0449f10daaffda258a517ab5ac1178c3.JPG

IMG_4856.thumb.JPG.feeef2d94c111073763e8ec6952f01ea.JPG

Mammoth snow peas.  Plants have reached beyond 6' at this time and are making tons of large snow peas.

Below that, the beginnings of Chinese cabbage.

Tomatoes are just flowering

2 varieties of hot peppers are starting to bud

Lot of basil

cilantro

mint

Waiting on wild berries that I encouraged the hell out of this year.  Some over 6' at this point

have to think about visting the farmers markets soon

Killer snow peas man!

the first year I did them I had some massive plants but the following years have been nothing but a disappointment!

Be careful planting mint in the ground it just goes wild 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

25 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Killer snow peas man!

the first year I did them I had some massive plants but the following years have been nothing but a disappointment!

Be careful planting mint in the ground it just goes wild 

I have a (fairly) contained patch of mint but I do want to get some spearmint going in there too.  I know about the mint, in the past I've dropped clippings and seeds on some properties as a dick move to the well deserved.

• Like 2
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

On 7/22/2020 at 9:40 PM, nicklesndimes said:

i have some mint that i like to keep by the front door of my apartment building to put in my green tea as a flavor enhancer....the landscapers keep ripping it out, but it just keeps coming back to me haha

Landmines around mint plant, problem solved 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

that's pretty hectic.

Also cool to see what a beaver's tail looks like in real life! Beavers look pretty big if that's all beaver.

are bears like foxes - do they go into a frenzy killing small things like chooks?

how did wife take it?  my wife would be very worried about something like that.

• Truth 1

7 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

that's pretty hectic.

Also cool to see what a beaver's tail looks like in real life! Beavers look pretty big if that's all beaver.

are bears like foxes - do they go into a frenzy killing small things like chooks?

how did wife take it?  my wife would be very worried about something like that.

Beavers are pretty big. This one was taken from someone that was poaching, which is where they get their bait along with road kill (usually deer).

Bears, or at least the local grizzlies are known to be very targeted hunters. They get an idea of what they want and will then get tunnel vision for it. For example I heard about the same bears, which have a thing for chicken, passing up a hutch full of rabbits and instead just taking the chickens. They mostly eat what they kill unlike some other predators, but in this case, they left a lot behind. We suspect it was 2 or possibly 3 of them that did it.

My wife doesn't interact with the chickens much so she's not really attached to them. She was bummed, but not in the way someone would be if they lost a pet. I was more bummed than her, but also these are livestock not pets. There's one chicken I was happy to see make it through (probably been 6 or 7 bear attacks in three years), but we also lost a couple that I really liked. We have a lot of that sort of thing out here there and after a while you just see it as nature being nature. Sucks, but mostly just the circle of life playing out in front of you. Also sucked that I had to spend an afternoon redoing the siding on the coop, two more afternoons redoing all the fence wiring and have yet to take apart the auto coop door and send it back to get fixed, meaning I have to manually go lock them up every night and open it up every morning, which sucks. Also, we're running lean on eggs. With COVID all the spring chickens got cancelled and the bears ate my roosters so we cant make more until I can find another rooster.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...