The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm currently in the process of acquiring the loan for a piece of property next to the 1 acre I already own.  This one is 4 acres, creek runs through the middle, it's a valley, hard land/very rocky, undeveloped full of trees.  I've got so many ideas already and I've been buying "heavy equipment" to make my dream come true.

One thing I'm counting on is the StarLink internet that Elon's working on to not suck.

It won't be 100% off grid anytime soon but the entire goal is to move towards that direction.  I intend to have a diesel generator mounted on a concrete pad to power the homestead when there is no power.  Part of the battery array thing people build (for solar) that concerns me is that batteries wear out and they're not necessarily cheap.  I don't know what the typical lifespan of a battery array or the cost of maintaining one is.

One other thing I want to do is, I have noticed that when I leave one of my desktop PC's running, even if it's idling.... the room it runs in will be a few degrees warmer.  I intend to leverage the heat put out from the computers to do something with.  I'm going to be very focused on growing my own food and recovering any amount of energy that is available in the form of heat, running/draining water/etc.

The boat dock is a 10m drive from the house if you're slow.  I'm pretty excited because I've wanted to buy an undeveloped piece of land for a long time now and it seems like the pieces are falling into place very quickly.

• Like 4
  • Props 3

So thinking of I can squeeze out a few solid years, something like this will be my next move... Start with a humble, but we’ll considered, minimalist cabin and maybe later put up a beautiful custom home if I had another few good years. Probably have a few friends join me and setup a nice car commune type situation. 

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0-Mammoth-South-Boulder-Rd-Ennis-MT-59729/2079452931_zpid/

A8AE0B23-0301-4D68-A50F-8AB99D093407.png

• Like 1

813 acres?? Mental.

you going to do anything particularly with or just have friends live there and shoot stuff/growstuff/fish stuff?

Trout farm in a few lakes?

I've been tempted by the idea of getting some land out in the deserts north of  Adelaide  to try and get in on the solar farming action.

They used to detonate nuclear bombs there so land has gotta be pretty cheap. Pretty much just dirt and baking sunlight there.

There's a consortium building a massive solar farm just south of the tropics in the NT that will supply about 20% of singapore's energy and no doubt that sector will grow.  Eventually should demand increase they'll be drafting in other properties to help with supply.

Indonesia has 9 times our population in 25% of our land area and they'll need power so there's a massive market potential right there.

But you gotta be near the railway lines or your freight costs will be astronomical and you gotta be prepared to live on mars practically.

but no doubt I'll need a bit more start up money..

@SchnitzelI have a pretty awesome setup (at least in my mind, but @Mercerhas been out here and seems to agree), but that land I posted is the dream. Honestly if I could pull off more I would, but 813 acres nestled between Federal land is a pretty solid setup. I’d probably start with an airstream or maybe just tents while building a cool modern, minimalist cabin. The dream would be to setup a sprawling custom home and maybe 5 or so cabins / homes that complimented their surroundings. Something that felt secluded, but was intelligently considered around a communal area for both entertainment / leisure, as well as cooperative agriculture and ranching. I’d carefully select a couple good people / families and leave a couple spots open for guests. Basically a commune / cooperative type arrangement. 

Lots of great things you could do with a piece of land that big. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

IMG_9292.thumb.JPG.ee3fe8af10eccdacf7029162a7a48586.JPG

How you like them maggots?  Kind of interesting, I had passed this little farm building before and thought it smelled like a combo of sewage and a brewery.  Caught a dude there the other day.  He's using compost and used brewer's yeast to grow black fly maggots, which are then fed to the chickens.  It uses people's discarded table scraps, the chickens devour the maggots, and they're a high source of protein and generally better for the chickens then conventional feed.  He's trying to expand this so that anyone can come get some if they keep chickens.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

9 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

IMG_9292.thumb.JPG.ee3fe8af10eccdacf7029162a7a48586.JPG

How you like them maggots?  Kind of interesting, I had passed this little farm building before and thought it smelled like a combo of sewage and a brewery.  Caught a dude there the other day.  He's using compost and used brewer's yeast to grow black fly maggots, which are then fed to the chickens.  It uses people's discarded table scraps, the chickens devour the maggots, and they're a high source of protein and generally better for the chickens then conventional feed.  He's trying to expand this so that anyone can come get some if they keep chickens.

5BF76DFC-11E7-4178-9B16-9713E27F9537.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...