The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Depends which part(s) you want?

Shit man, if i was actually serious i would settle for the head. But it just wouldn’t feel right separating such a beautifully intact animal. Fucking guy looks like he just fell asleep. Someone should at least do a soft mount on that thing...Absolutely gorgeous. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man. I am really more and more trying to put together the pieces of how I'm going to live off grid for my life. I was planning to grow pot and veggies for financial support as well as food. Right now I'm working on a produce farm with mad veggies, and right now we're working on getting a geothermal vent system installed that will help control the temperature of the greenhouse due to the constant temperature of the soil below ground.  So I'm learning some really useful stuff, but theres so much more I need to know. I think I need to drop out of working in kitchens and start working construction so I can learn how to build shit. /stonedrambling

• Like 2

3 hours ago, simon sandleshit said:

Man. I am really more and more trying to put together the pieces of how I'm going to live off grid for my life. I was planning to grow pot and veggies for financial support as well as food. Right now I'm working on a produce farm with mad veggies, and right now we're working on getting a geothermal vent system installed that will help control the temperature of the greenhouse due to the constant temperature of the soil below ground.  So I'm learning some really useful stuff, but theres so much more I need to know. I think I need to drop out of working in kitchens and start working construction so I can learn how to build shit. /stonedrambling

Interesting.  Reminds me of a technique I learned about, maybe related.  It involved burying (plastic?) jugs of water just below the surface.  In this case it was done by a hermit living in a tent in the woods, but still pretty cool.  Care to share about the system you're working on?

To be honest I dont know a whole lot about it but I'll try to explain it as best as possible. So since, the soil temperature below ground is pretty constant year round we dug into the earth below the greenhouse - (not sure on the exact depth I was not there for that part). So in the big underground hole we installed like this ridged (corrugated?), black, plastic tubing maybe 3" diameter. The tubing runs lengthwise along the greenhouse from on end to another, the pipes stick out of the ground facing up so air can flow up and out. One end has a big blower on it (which we are currently installing), that will push the air out from underground either warming the greenhouse in winter, or cooling it down in summer.

I'll try and get some pictures next time I am out there.

59 minutes ago, simon sandleshit said:

To be honest I dont know a whole lot about it but I'll try to explain it as best as possible. So since, the soil temperature below ground is pretty constant year round we dug into the earth below the greenhouse - (not sure on the exact depth I was not there for that part). So in the big underground hole we installed like this ridged (corrugated?), black, plastic tubing maybe 3" diameter. The tubing runs lengthwise along the greenhouse from on end to another, the pipes stick out of the ground facing up so air can flow up and out. One end has a big blower on it (which we are currently installing), that will push the air out from underground either warming the greenhouse in winter, or cooling it down in summer.

I'll try and get some pictures next time I am out there.

DIY Geothermal 

9 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Interesting.  Reminds me of a technique I learned about, maybe related.  It involved burying (plastic?) jugs of water just below the surface.  In this case it was done by a hermit living in a tent in the woods, but still pretty cool.  Care to share about the system you're working on?

I've read about  this approach and also 5 gallon buckets of sand used in the same manner.  I think when I build mine I will do a combination of the two approaches discussed here, and whatever else I read in the mean time. 

• Like 1

Do any of you guys maintain root cellars?

I've got a concrete foundation basement, and an open corner, so I think I'm going to frame one out and try to take advantage of some unused space (read: justify my oversized house a little bit). Looks like cold air in, warm air out is the key, followed by high humidity--which is really easy to maintain here in NC.

Thoughts, experiences, etc?

• Like 1

I love the idea of a walk-in freezer, but I lose power frequently enough that I'm hesitant to even commit to a solid coffin freezer until I get a whole house generator installed. 

The company I work for does a lot of generator installs, but even with cutting out labor costs I'm in several grand and i have a couple more pressing high dollar house projects. 

I also don't know that I would ever need more than 2 coffins full of meat, I've got to assume those run cheaper than a walk in