The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 11/11/2023 at 8:16 PM, One Man Banned said:

I have two, neither with the ability to send images.  I don't have the need to know immediately for what I'm doing, and I don't want a camera that connects back to me, especially since I sometimes set one up where it may not be approved of.

has this happened yet?

IMG_8193.jpg

• LOL! 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy this thread is still alive. Kinda crazy to go back and read, since I feel like it’s become so much more relevant in the post-pandemic, nut house of a world we’ve found ourselves in since I started this thread. 

I’m curious… For those that read this thread and thought about making the move, what’s help you back? Are you still hoping / planning? Anything I can do to answer questions or assist (short of lending you the money you’ll need to buy a homestead)?

I’ll loop back and share some updates when I’m not typing in this mini virtual keyboard that is iPhone, but wanted to pop in and drop a note. 

078781CE-A43E-4E4E-B533-BB4EA91565D6.jpeg

D69CCF5B-0FA4-471C-9365-5456EE10ED35.jpeg

IMG_2394.jpeg

796AA158-8DF2-4748-8F74-207F79334813.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

IMG_1601.jpeg

IMG_1621.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_9739.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 5

Added a couple books I’m reading to the what are you reading thread, but figured I’d drop them in here since it’s on topics. 

I’ve been doing chickens for years (mostly layers) as well as ducks. Last year we raised a couple turkeys for meat. Birds are a bit hard in that the return on the effort is pretty low when you consider all that goes into processing. Took us about 1 1.5 hours to slaughter, process and prep a turkey. In that regard, cows make a ton more sense. Granted slaughtering and processing a cow is pretty much an all day thing (not counting hanging time), but you generally end up with 1200+ pounds of meat. In context, that’ll feed 4 adults for about two years.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone else on here has experience with livestock?

IMG_2476.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

Following up to the post above… Currently I have a share crop deal where I trade half my alfalfa field for either a check or beef. In terms of beef, I traded for half a cow. Half cow yields about 700 lbs and I had to pay processing/ butchering, which was about $700 ($0.80 - $1.25 lb in most places). 

Anyhow, the yield from my field is generally 20 - 28 big bales, of which I get half. I’m still wrapping my head around consumption but I believe my share of the alfalfa would be enough to over winter 2, maybe 3 cows. (Takes 18 - 23 months to raise a cow to maturity). So for whatever it takes to build a pasture, shelter and run water, I can pretty much exponentially increase our beef for pretty much the same thing. Rather than half a cow, I’d have 2 - 3 full cows. A good friend living on my property helps hold things down and is willing to manage the cows and I’m already having to pay for slaughter / processing / butchering, though I’d like to try and do this myself. Obviously some investment necessary to get the space setup (figuring about $5,000 between barbwire, wood, water line and equipment rental). Price of cattle varies, but about $300 - $800 a head. So all in, I can possibly break even by the third cow and then actually see profit soon after in addition to storing away a half cow a year for my family. 

I’m not necessarily looking for profit, tbh but more looking for very high quality beef, sustainably raised and in an independent system in which I control. Goal is to get the cost of this as low as possible, but if I sell shares, looks like I can actually make a little money off it, meaning it’s not just sustainable environmentally, but also financially. 

Anyhow, anyone do this before? Anyone interested in learning how?

• Props 3

That's dope. I wish we had a bigger property. I was initially going to make an attempt at raising sheep on my 3rd of an acre. From what I remember about them they reach a desirable size around 8 months to a year. The older they get, the crazier they taste. But you get meat, wool, and milk from the animals as a revenue stream.

• Like 2
  • Props 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 4:05 PM, Schnitzel said:

nowhere near as hardcore as butchering but my apple tree is putting out it's first crop.

after zero apples for 5 years, two last year we now have about 40 coming in.

unsure of the variety but the kids loved it in their lunchbox

IMG_0086.jpg

That’s rewarding after such a long wait. Congrats.

Bake your wife an apple pie for her birthday.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is a pretty great site as far as homesteading and farming for those getting into all this and not sure where to start…

https://abundantpermaculture.com

Also, the main guy, Justin Rhodes has an awesome YouTube and pretty good Instagram feed:

https://youtube.com/@theJustinRhodesShow?feature=shared

https://www.instagram.com/thejustinrhodesshow/?hl=en

Beeb promoting the Survival Podcast for ages, but also a great resource on the subject. In fact, it’s one of the resources that got me going in this direction ages ago. I was living in downtown NYC and starting to see and experience things that woke me up. 9/11, big black out of the North East, Hurricane Andrew back in Miami, etc. Anyhow, started dreaming about cabins and hobby farms back when I used to lurk on Tumblr. Then started looking into it and eventually created a plan that took years of engineering and work to do. What you see now is many more years of planning and building to engineer and execute. 

https://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-survival-podcast/id284148583

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on here have much experience with livestock? Cattle in particular?

Hoping a bunch of you decide to try to plant gardens now that most of the country is well into spring. Try it out… Worst case, by some seeds from your local hardware store. If you have a little more motivation, but some that heritage breeds that you can allow to go to seed and then plant again next year. 

if you’re extra motivated, order some varieties off https://rareseeds.com (be sure to order based on what growing zone you live in. Easy to figure out by googling it). 

*Tip: grow what you enjoy eating and prioritize what generally costs more and often goes bad, like herbs (Basel is a good one). Greens and squashes are always pretty easy and tomato’s are super productive as well. It’s super rewarding and healthy and fact is that a lot effort to setup and manage can easily save you $50 - $100 a month if you shop regularly. Plus with a little room for a few raised beds, managed correctly, plus a couple ducks or chickens will start you well on your way to food security. Also goes a long way with neighbors to share any of extra abundance. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 2 weeks later...