The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

Had an amazing night, the off grid type shit that makes me feel like I'm high.  Sleet coming down I can see down the road obvious signs of bear activity, figure I'll poke my head out and maybe get to see something cool.  Open the door and there's an adult bear on my doorstep, it would be like opening your door and seeing Andre the Giant crouched there.  Shut door and called my girl to check this shit out.  Turned out to be a mother and 2 mostly grown yearlings.  They hung around a good 15 minutes exploring, playing, wrestling, climbing at trees.  We just opened the window and hung out, free show courtesy of nature.

1794284789_IMG_8595copy2.thumb.JPG.f9e278fa11a0ef653f3035dea3e8ed27.JPG

460482964_IMG_8596copy2.thumb.JPG.77cda5c0f5d40d5cbf23c0d19cccb274.JPG

• Like 2
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yeah, only black bears here, can only imagine where you're at.  The average adult black bear I've seen is bigger than most men.

Also, the flip side of off grid living- it's all magic and wonders of nature & shit when you're observing it.  Afterward you get to find the answer to the timeless question does a bear shit in the woods?  Not always, lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not me or my photo but a local hunter that caught this lion out my way. Pretty unreal that there's predators this big in North America and especially that there's stuff like this wandering around where I live. I was told a healthy adult male lion has a vertical leap of roughly 18 feet. Think about that for a moment and the fact that this thing can jump from the ground to the roof of a second story house. I'd imagine jumping off a roof to the ground is even easier, so yeah... Have to pay attention when you walk out the door or let the dogs out for a leak.

Neighbor showed me a picture of a Gray wolf he caught and thing was even bigger than this lion. Its hard to have context to stuff like this and indeed, they look photoshopped since they're absurdly big. Much more so than you likely imagine. Though lions are only spotted infrequently, wolves here are everywhere. Some nights you can hear a huge pack of them messing around and hunting just outside in our tree line. Sometimes when we go out to feed the horses their last meal of the day, we see them bolting through the tree line. They were a protected species here for a while, but the population has exploded and they're now crossing over to being considered nuisance animals. Considering how big they are and how many are around, I'm pretty amazed we have so many deer still. Crazy stuff... Anyhow, thought I'd share a bit more of what life is like out here.

IMG_8793.JPG

• Like 5
  • Props 1

They say that brown bears/grizzlies have enough arm strength to shatter a human's bones with a paw strike..... that's pretty big damage without even considering the claws.

I don't like killing animals, that might be my hippy side coming out..... but I just can't imagine killing a cat that large just because someone's livestock is getting pwn'd.  Sure, I get it.... the cat ate the chickens and killed a dog so blood for blood.... but to me, the land the humans are on is the cat's land and they should do what is necessary to protect themselves against nature without removing nature.  The cat was just doing cat activities in it's natural habitat that man decided to come live in.  Kinda unfair when you think about it like that.... and unfair to the farm animals that are basically "trapped" on the farmer's land as well.

I see both sides of this equation of course.... but still it bothers me that someone would shoot an animal that large probably so he can have the fur and discard the rest.  Like killing an elephant for it's tusks or a rhino for it's horn powder dick soup.

• Truth 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Yeah fuck all that. Does that mountain lion fall under hunting for food, sport or some kind of man eater revenge??

Generally its done to prevent lions from killing livestock, usually cattle. Happens quite a bit and since cattle can cost upwards of a few thousand dollars a head, ranchers will push back on lions that get too close. No idea if thats the case with this one, but its actually pretty common.

• Like 1

Anyone working on crops yet?  Any of that change because of covid19, like you want to produce more of your own food?  It did motivate me to get my seeds ordered, something to do at home for now and early start is hopefully early finish.  

Won't remember it all but this year I've got:

alpine strawberry

mammoth snow pea

san marzano tomato

thai chili pepper

aji chili pepper (gonna hook up that Peruvian flavor)

spinach

garlic chives

cilantro

Mint already returned, some different chives/onions popped up...

• 2 weeks later...

For a couple of years I have been thinking about the whole homesteading thing and I get excited when I watch life below zero.  I am not sure what it is about isolation but it excites me.  I guess the excitement stems from being an extreme introvert... but anyhow, I am bored of what I do and no longer want to keep doing it, I am single, no kids, and ready to make a change in my life.   

I have boiled it down to two options I would like to pursue and I hopefully by summer of 2021 I will being a ranch hand somewhere in the north US or living in the wilderness in alaska some where in total isolation.

So with that being said, my question right now is, does anyone know/have a good lead where I can start educating myself for living in alaska?  

Talk about dropping out of the rat race.  I am ready to completely fall off the face of the earth for my next 40 years of life.  

• Props 2

@ndv It just starts with the daydream of it. For me, it is coming in babysteps slowly stepping away from "normal" life--I won't be fully off-grid until retirement, if then, but a little less reliant every year. 

I would just start devouring off-the-grid blogs of people that already did it. Take up hobby gardening and hunting if you don't already do it. 

• Truth 1

I appreciate the advice, @Fist 666 

I came across a few blogs, couldn't distinguish if the bloggers were off the grid seasonally (summer home) or are hard core.  

Right now I am just thinking logically about what I think I will need  and seeds, a lot of seeds come to mind, I also thought about hunting as well so I was thinking what are going to be the best tools for that.  And for now I am thinking bow/crossbow is going to be the best bet as it may be more sustainable to make and retrieve an arrow than having to chase down the resources to make or purchase bullets.  

I guess with that being said. Kinda tells you how remote and isolated I wanna be.   

But you're right, I am going to have to learn few things first.   

Little things from how to fall trees, buck wood, cure wood, start fires, bank fires, maintain chimneys, etc. make a huge difference in the scale of how off-grid you want to be. It doesn't inherently mean "loner" or "wholly self reliant" but the less reliant you are on others, the better you'll do.

Being basically handy is essential, but understanding how every normally "gridded" system in your life works and how to do basic maintenance on it will set you up for better successes. 

• Like 1

@ndvI pick up a magazine, i think its quarterly, called modern pioneer or american pioneer or something. They have all kinds of articles on what kind of knife blade you use for what, how to build traps, how to make your own clothes and things of that nature. Its a pretty good resource and probably everything you are looking for. 

Im leery of a lot of these blogs from preppers and wilderness off gridders claiming to live a primitive lifestyle but some how have a reliable internet connect to keep up with an online presence. People spouting off information as fact that doesnt have any practicality in its application.

12 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

claiming to live a primitive lifestyle but some how have a reliable internet connect to keep up with an online presence

So I am not the only one who thought this while reading some of these blogs which ultimately put distrust in internet searches and decided to ask 12oz.  

Thanks for the tips on the publications.  I have a pdf copy of the anarchist cookbook but I have a strong feeling knowing how to hack a vending machine is gonna help fending off a bear or pack of wolves.  However, learning how to make explosives might help tenderize and cook meat all at once. 

Sounds like I have a whole lot of reading to do.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ndv said:

For a couple of years I have been thinking about the whole homesteading thing and I get excited when I watch life below zero.  I am not sure what it is about isolation but it excites me.  I guess the excitement stems from being an extreme introvert... but anyhow, I am bored of what I do and no longer want to keep doing it, I am single, no kids, and ready to make a change in my life.   

I have boiled it down to two options I would like to pursue and I hopefully by summer of 2021 I will being a ranch hand somewhere in the north US or living in the wilderness in alaska some where in total isolation.

So with that being said, my question right now is, does anyone know/have a good lead where I can start educating myself for living in alaska?  

Talk about dropping out of the rat race.  I am ready to completely fall off the face of the earth for my next 40 years of life.  

I posted a week ago in the screenprinting thread that we were looking to bring people on. Obviously the apocalypse has shit complicated right now, but DM if you’re interested in maybe heading to NW Montana and doing a combo of screen printing and ranch work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ndv said:

I appreciate the advice, @Fist 666 

I came across a few blogs, couldn't distinguish if the bloggers were off the grid seasonally (summer home) or are hard core.  

Right now I am just thinking logically about what I think I will need  and seeds, a lot of seeds come to mind, I also thought about hunting as well so I was thinking what are going to be the best tools for that.  And for now I am thinking bow/crossbow is going to be the best bet as it may be more sustainable to make and retrieve an arrow than having to chase down the resources to make or purchase bullets.  

I guess with that being said. Kinda tells you how remote and isolated I wanna be.   

But you're right, I am going to have to learn few things first.   

Having a bow is great but that’s not something you just pickup and put food on the table with. It’s a hell of a skill and takes a lot of time and dedication, as well as quality equipment. Same can be said for guns but I’d bet the learning curve isn’t quite as steep. Either way, you’ll need a good gun (likely, several). Ammo will be the least of it. You don’t take that many shots while hunting so ammo isn’t going to be an issue. If there’s anything you’ll learn about self sufficiency, is that it’s synonymous with preparedness. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ripping on OMB's steez, but I'm too lazy to crop out these obnoxious watermarks and time stamps.

This cam is set up right my by bear can (a locked jobox) in the last switchback of my driveway so it acts a security cam for me to see if any vehicles have come up to the house that shouldn't have. 

Not really stoked to see the coyotes up here as they'll go after a dog potentially.

WGI_0016.JPG

WGI_0092.JPG

WGI_0093.JPG

WGI_0096.JPG

WGI_0097.JPG

• Like 2
  • Props 1

13 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Ripping on OMB's steez, but I'm too lazy to crop out these obnoxious watermarks and time stamps.

This cam is set up right my by bear can (a locked jobox) in the last switchback of my driveway so it acts a security cam for me to see if any vehicles have come up to the house that shouldn't have. 

Not really stoked to see the coyotes up here as they'll go after a dog potentially.

Would prop you twice if I could.  Been hanging on to a few flix myself but was beginning to think no one gave a fuck.  Truthfully I only edit out watermarks and stamps to remove needless personal info from the webz.  Post more.  My dog mostly sticks to the yard, and the wild beasts mostly stick to the woods, but I carry an air horn outside if the dog is w/ me in the event our paths should cross.  I wouldn't worry as much about a solo coyote if you're with your dog unless your dog is the type to want to run up and investigate.

Same general group posting in here it seems, but maybe this question will open things up a little...

For those of you living urban / suburban... After being locked in your house for three months from a pandemic to now waking up to cities in fire... Wondering how many might be rethinking their lives and the merits of living in cities? 

This is a jibe or criticism. Respectfully curious... What makes you want to keep living as you do, especially seeing how things seem to be trending these days?

I know @Kults has shifted about half way since when we last discussed. Die hard city guy that’s now rethinking things. 

What are people’s thoughts now that we’re closing on the mid point of the shittiest year in recent memory, that just happens to be the latest in a string of shitty years?

• Truth 1

35 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Same general group posting in here it seems, but maybe this question will open things up a little...

For those of you living urban / suburban... After being locked in your house for three months from a pandemic to now waking up to cities in fire... Wondering how many might be rethinking their lives and the merits of living in cities? 

This is a jibe or criticism. Respectfully curious... What makes you want to keep living as you do, especially seeing how things seem to be trending these days?

I know @Kults has shifted about half way since when we last discussed. Die hard city guy that’s now rethinking things. 

What are people’s thoughts now that we’re closing on the mid point of the shittiest year in recent memory, that just happens to be the latest in a string of shitty years?

For me, it's almost 100% based on the financial incentives present in a larger, more competitive job market. I've tried to hit the sticks, demand for someone with my extremely specialized skillset is low, almost non existent in your neck of the woods. Best I could do is 1/2 of what I'm earning now (total compensation) here in a booming urban economy. This coupled with the fact the cost of living is actually less for me here (no vehicle expenses, housing prices are virtually identical, virtually unlimited options for employment) makes it a no brainer. I'll be buying property in a semi rural, suburban area that's maxed out on expansion due to the terrain, working in the city, and letting my employer cover my commuting expenses via a company gas card and brand new vehicle.

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but the overwhelming majority of people don't have the access to resources required to make a move to a rural area. Most of us on this board would make terrible farm hands, and can't thrive, or even survive off from seasonal/low wage employment at this point. That's not to say I'm doing everything I can to establish financial independence, but realistically most of my goals require a higher than normal income level, which is highly unlikely in a rural area, but virtually guaranteed for me here. I also understand the cons of living in an urban area and we most likely agree on most of them. Combined, these cons do not outweigh the pro's of being able to retire early, and establish financial independence. 

• Truth 2
  • Props 2

Before we bought our house a few years ago, we were looking to buy land up to an hour away from the nearest metro area and the land itself wasnt affordable. Its crazy that since this area is bordered by water everywhere there is only one way for expansion and that is inland. So with expansion pushing outwards places that were rural woods and 2 lane roads 10 years ago are now fully developed strip malls for the new shitbox communities to go spend their extra money. 

My worst fear is buying a piece of land an hour out to build my dream retreat only to have it converted into another suburb. I dont know how far I would have to go before this wasnt an issue anymore.

• Props 1

I'm one of the people who will require both. It's weird to think about it though. I say that shit all the time and then I take a moment to think about all the city ass shit that I don't even do. Every year, things get more and more confusing. The truth is I guess I'm just not at the point in life where I can definitively say where I want to be or not be. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

On 5/30/2020 at 9:21 AM, Mercer said:

Not sure if any of that makes sense, but the overwhelming majority of people don't have the access to resources required to make a move to a rural area. Most of us on this board would make terrible farm hands, and can't thrive, or even survive off from seasonal/low wage employment at this point. That's not to say I'm doing everything I can to establish financial independence, but realistically most of my goals require a higher than normal income level, which is highly unlikely in a rural area, but virtually guaranteed for me here. I also understand the cons of living in an urban area and we most likely agree on most of them. Combined, these cons do not outweigh the pro's of being able to retire early, and establish financial independence. 

I think that's getting quickly outdated. Internet made it possible for people to make money from anywhere. I know two people puling in near or over 6 figure incomes per month (yes, month!) from out here. Both are self made and both came up thanks to the internet. Yeah, I know not everyone is as savvy and maybe these guys also had a little luck on their side, but its happened often enough that it clear that it can be engineered. Working on exactly that myself.

• Props 1