The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

On 9/23/2019 at 4:48 PM, One Man Banned said:

Also interested in their medicinal properties.

Here here. I plan to start growing within the next couple months. Both food and fun. Spores are readily available online. I have a friend growing "albino penises" which I'm curious to try, obvious no homo. 

• LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
20 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Here here. I plan to start growing within the next couple months. Both food and fun. Spores are readily available online. I have a friend growing "albino penises" which I'm curious to try, obvious no homo. 

Lolz, what are albino penises?  Oyster mushrooms maybe?  Also note to you guys, I said medicinal, not magical!  I'm not ready to start growing yet but have been looking around, seeing the farm was great as I wasn't aware of that style medium.  I did notice that some of the home/garden stores have started carrying a small medium in a box kit for beginners to try out but I'll likely go bigger than that when I do try.  

What kind are you growing?  What ones are people interested in medicinally?

image.php?id=192&type=D

its a fairly apt name...

I'm not sure what spores I'm going to start with, so many to choose from and as I plan on doing frequent, uh, "micro tastings" as it were, I've got some reading in front of me. I will probably start a thread in VIP about that side of things.

A coworker does several types in logs in his front yard. His oyster harvest was serious business. 

• Like 2

Caught a little national news on the radio this morning... Had some interviews with people in CA freaking about how the electric service provider decided to cut power to thousands of homes in an effort to prevent electrical fires due to all the downed power lines from some recent high winds. California can get kinda crazy, but surprised by how many people were freaking out about what really should be little more than a minor inconvenience. Wondering how well they'd do when some giant disaster comes along and kicks them in the nuts hard enough to be down for weeks or even months the way we've seen in the gulf and East Coast with the hurricanes. 

Wondering if its worth a thread to explore the idea of preparedness and explore this topics, but will leave it in here for now. Seems crazy to not keep several quality flashlights and an inventory of batteries on hand considering how often you reach for it. But even beyond that, I learned the hard way several times throughout life in Florida and NYC how much it sucks to get caught out there when the supermarkets are closed or empty, water service is disrupted or contaminated and power is down for 24 hours or more.

Curious how many of you guys safe guard against stuff like that?

I think people tend to guard against what they perceive as a threat.  The Midwest is more pepared for a tornado than the Northeast, the Northeast is more prepared for a hurricane than the Midwest.  

Certain shit I've learned to prepare for over time seeing what other people in those areas do.  Other shit I have little concern over.  I have a good quality flashlight or 3, plus a good LED lantern.  I have some decent clothing resistant to the appropriate types of weather.  When I move off grid I can see that a generator would be a worthwhile investment.  Beyond that though I feel the world is pretty reliant on shit like electricity, oil, propane.  I've been off grid more than once now where we lost power, and being remote enough loss of power also equaled loss of hot/running water.  This was only for a day or so, but not a giant deal.  You can stil flush a toilet with a bucket of water.  Washing your ass with cold water is.... invigorating?  Aint going to kill me to do it once or twice.

I was in NYC for Sandy, and also that snowstorm where our mayor failed to clear the streets.  Lucky I had gotten gas maybe 2 days prior to Sandy and didn't use much in the city, so avoided much of the lines.  Do recall the shelves were empty everywhere.  We probably made some noodles or got some Chinese food.

Disasters are a bit different.  I don't trust many states or our govt to be prepared, ever.  In one of these last hurricanes that came through the South I saw some elected official on tv telling it like it was- we're about to get hit with massive damage expected.  You should get out now.  If you don't, we can't guarantee when help can get to you.  I felt that was fairly honest, and would imagine that most people are not prepared, maybe even not able to be prepared, for shit on that magnitude.

12 hours ago, misteraven said:

Wondering if its worth a thread to explore the idea of preparedness and explore this topics, but will leave it in here for now. Seems crazy to not keep several quality flashlights and an inventory of batteries on hand considering how often you reach for it. But even beyond that, I learned the hard way several times throughout life in Florida and NYC how much it sucks to get caught out there when the supermarkets are closed or empty, water service is disrupted or contaminated and power is down for 24 hours or more.

Curious how many of you guys safe guard against stuff like that?

`I'm not super prepared to be honest but after the thread about the people on the train a few months back I took a few steps:

Light: three torches ( two that can be lanterns) plus a supply of tea light candles etc for light. Plus some solar lights that might help in a pinch. Batteries to be honest are low because my kids keep using them for toys.

Water: my house has 4 rainwater tanks that were pre - existing when I bought the place.

We'd have 2000 gallons roughly but half of it is pretty scuzzy due to leaves falling in the tank but you could drink it in times of need. The other tanks are pretty clean so would be okay.

Cooking: due to Chinese people living in my house we have a second kitchen in back of shed for greasy/ stinky food powered by a gas bottle plus a gas powered barbecue so there's at least one full gas bottle at any times

Food: I have enough dried stuff for a few weeks but they'll be pretty horrible weeks. Lots of dried pasta,  asian noodles,  rice jars of pesto,, pasta sauce, tinned foods such as tomatoes spaghetti, beans, tuna etc ( circa 100 tins all up).,a big thing of milk powder. Weet bix and crackers  some dried split peas and lentils for soups .etc. We have an orange tree that always has fruit on it - we can't eat enough of them .

Subject  to time of year we'd also have pomegranates, apples, lemons and another apple tree. 

POWER: currently my solar panels are useless - they feed back into the grid but I'm looking for a way to start storing some of that power to run things like a fridge in the back shed so that in times of need we'd still have cold (er) food.

Long and short if things went down for a week or two tops we'd be okay but after that all bets would be off I think. Doesn't include gasoline issues which would surely be a problem after 1-2 days and doesn't include when the less prepared start to lose their shit.

Side note these two have moved in under my deck.

Bluetongue lizards. Have told the kids to leave them alone - harmless and good to have about.

welcome aboard  you good things - eat as many bugs as you want.

these are a couple and will hang out together for life.

IMG_1186.JPG

• Like 3
  • Props 1

Been away, over mountains, through woods, lakes, rivers, down to the sea & back.  Will post a little here & there.  Fateful topic of conversation here before my journey.  While I was away Mother Nature decided to say here I am, rock you like a hurricane.  Kicked up driving wind/rain.  I was basically between woods & ocean and the area lost power.  Could again see a generator being useful at least short term, but also noted that most places I passed appeared without.  No running water meant free range shitting in the great outdoors.  Used a fallen log that was about toilet height and dropped my own log off behind it.  Pro tip if you're ever in this situation- make sure the log you sit on doesn't have any little branches sticking out- you don't want to snag your grundle on that, ya dig?  Better keep the frank and the beans up front while you go too.  LED lantern and a few candles were key.  Had to wash up with a combo of sea water and bottled water, learned soap won't lather in salt water.  In town I noted that people visitng the area were a little lost w/o their phones, apparently did not have car chargers.  They also needed maps so I assume they were unfamiliar with the area and going off their phones for directions.  Big thing to note as far as emergency preparedness- cash was king.  Most places could not do credit card transactions, couldn't even operate a register.  So cash was accepted everywhere and cashiers did everything the old fashioned way with pen and paper.  

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

You do much fishing?

Not at all.  But I'm tempted to throw a line out w/ some bait next time just to see what I can catch.  I've considered chartering something for a 1/2 day to try to do some deep sea fishing but haven't gotten there yet.  Know someone nearby with the fresh, cheap, seafood connect.  

• Like 1