The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I watched this… documentary(?) Ted talk(?) style thing the other day. The guy presents a fuck ton of worrying information. I’m generally not an alarmist but the information provided leads straight to fuckedville. Need to refocus on building my little piece of wilderness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

I thought it was interesting that some one from the Green Party was discrediting electric vehicles.

I gotta watch it now,  wanna know why a greenie is against it other than the battery manufacturing narrative. 

• Truth 1

Haven’t watched but last time I looked I to it a couple years back, electric cars had a larger carbon footprint than combustion engines when you factored in what it took to generate the electricity being used, as well as all else that went into the process of delivery and storage. The last leg of it looks clean but most electricity is still generated using combustion versus shit like wind or solar. 

Could have changed since then, but I doubt it. 

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

399476562_IMG_9569copy.thumb.JPG.a518b3904383a06db1b87eaaf27cd7b4.JPG

2127538823_IMG_2779copy.thumb.JPG.03172c9109cdbe4779bf2281f12baeb9.JPG

Wish the 2nd pic was better but this was 4:45 am and the camera chose to shoot it as if it were night.  I woke to this coyote creeping through this morning.  It was an all wheat colored coat with a little brown at the end where the tail bushed, great camo as fall comes on.  It slowed up when I called to it and it looked as much like a domesticated dog as I've ever seen with a coyote.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, misteraven said:

Haven’t watched but last time I looked I to it a couple years back, electric cars had a larger carbon footprint than combustion engines when you factored in what it took to generate the electricity being used, as well as all else that went into the process of delivery and storage. The last leg of it looks clean but most electricity is still generated using combustion versus shit like wind or solar. 

Could have changed since then, but I doubt it. 

His point had to do with lithium mines. He was saying that the earths natural deposits of lithium are large enough to make enough batteries to replace every single car on earth with an electric car one time before it is deplete. If your battery goes dead, then what? He is advocating for gas engines that get better gas mileage.

34 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

1012306838_IMG_9044copy.thumb.JPG.8ad487e489577dd88300da06e149ae54.JPG

I'm not a fan of the ear tags and the radio collar is kind of bullshit.  Have to imagine they could come up with something smaller and less intrusive.

I mean if they can implant a powerful microchip and location transmitter with your covid vaccine surely they can do the same for bears. 

it's amazing you guys live near bears & Mountain Lions like you could actually get killed and eaten.

doesn't give much extra spice but does add a dimension to a walk in the bush

• Truth 1

36 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

I mean if they can implant a powerful microchip and location transmitter with your covid vaccine surely they can do the same for bears. 

it's amazing you guys live near bears & Mountain Lions like you could actually get killed and eaten.

doesn't give much extra spice but does add a dimension to a walk in the bush

It is highly debated whether we have mountain lions my way or not.  One was killed out here years ago now but otherwise pretty rare since man tends to eliminate the bigger predators, so less an issue for me vs maybe Raven.  I got used to the bears after much research but it can still be unnerving at times when you're caught off guard or it's with an unfamiliar bear.  Also when you run into multiple bears at once!!

• Like 1

multiple bears at once??

oh fuck that for a joke.

I can't out run a bear

I cant outclimb a bear

In my panic I doubt I could out think a bear.

unless i throw one of my kids to them I am toast if they want me.

10 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

@Schnitzel thinking about it afterward though, you live in a place full of deadly creatures much smaller than a bear.

it's a bit of a lie though our deadly creatures generally  are pretty timid.

Like a funnel web spider isn't going to chase you down. The snakes like desert taipans or eastern browns maybe but generally  you only see their tails as they disappear into bushes. if you trod on one maybe

though I was sickened to discover these existed.

i thought I'd moved away from funnel webs

image.thumb.png.c294a6c35d072faceaf375661bd18fca.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_6441.thumb.JPG.b7868bf9ddf40b5bb4a90149a6af17f5.JPG

Just starting to get these Chinese squash.  This one weighs a few pounds and is good sized, going to chop it up with some Chinese mustard green to make congee (jook).    Pretty happy with this, other than a starter soil that had fertilizer in it I've used no fertilizers or pesticides and just watered 1-2 times a day.  The plants themselves have overrun the area I gave them and where they have met trees/brush have grown up them a good 7-8 feet in the air.  Goal now is to see if I can get an overabundance of these and then beyond friends/fam give a bunch to a local shelter or pantry or something similar.

• Like 1
  • Props 2

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

whats your mission on getting all the bucks to come around? Deer are heavily over populated in sw Virginia this year. Hunting season is gonna be bananas.

Sounds like a lot of opportunities for buck chugs. 

My area is overpopulated with deer as is much of the U.S., but I don't get to see many bucks, not unless I go off trail.  The older the bucks, the deeper into the woods they tend to chill.  I was just trying to get a buck to chill my way, didn't expect to get a group of them.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

• 3 weeks later...