post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 1 month later...

I guess during the remodel of the new page my account got messed up. Been out of the 12oz loop for quite some time. I quite my more profitable job and went back to an old place that is very little money. BUT Im able to focus on the more important things. Been using my crock pot more. Freezing beans etc. Trying to not go too crazy but still trying to experiment when I can.

I have a Korean friend and she turned me on to Kimchi. She makes a very different kind from the usual. I like mine better. She uses vinegar.

7YsmA4.jpg

Stumbled across some the idea of Fruit Kimchi. I altered the recipe a bit and used the red pepper flake instead of Serrano peppers. Asian pear, apple, plum, pineapple (puree), garlic , onion, green onion, ginger, 1 jalapeno pepper, red pepper flake. Not entirely fermented but still an great spicy sweet thing to have in the fridge to top over rice and meats. I finished one gallon mason after about three months and it never lost its fresh taste, no mold, no alcohol flavor.

r4Skgr.jpg

Fruit Kimchi Round 2. Asian pear, mango, star fruit, apple, plum, sweet plantain (puree), garlic , onion, green onion, ginger, red pepper flake, one jalapeno pepper. All fruits held up nice but I think the absence of pineapple and the inclusion of plantain would make the top portion of the mixture brown over time. I added pineapple juice after I noticed it, it helped, but I think the blended fresh pineapple from the first batch kept everything bright.

4NrCxg.jpg

Been trying to make bread, but I only have a toaster oven... Still been good just dense and not a full rise.

vyoY7r.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed this dinner. Mushroom sage rice. Baked asparagus. Bacon wrapped tenderloin medallions. Red wine cherry apple chutney. Goat cheese sauce. And yes.....Balsamic reduction.

gP3Y3G.jpg

I think this was some sort of a stone fruit salsa over a pork chop. BUT I do know broccolini with mashed cauliflower

NIonPM.jpg

Savory Asian BBQ tenderloins. Brown rice. Kimchi Cucumber. Asian pear ginger yogurt sauce. Asian pears are so light and good but I didnt have a thickening agent at home so I had to use the pulp because the yogurt got too watery.

FbzBJ7.jpg

Bangers Beer and Mash!

T99FyI.jpg

• Like 1

A staple of mine just plated differently. Avo/basil puree. I should have flipped it.

TJjrEt.jpg

Navy bean and sausage. White rice and arugula. Roasted red pepper and corn. Cliantro. Chili Oil.

pEEiH6.jpg

Confit Tomatoes (not sundried but in olive oil). Lemon pepper pappardelle pasta. Black garlic and balsamic sauce.

t7MzDR.jpg

Sausage / Mushroom/ Rosemary Sweet Vermouth sauce over pasta with crumbled Gorgonzola.

fc0Cnk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Being it only takes a few days Ive been keeping pickles as a staple in my fridge. Lacto Fermenting just like the kimchi process gives you some darn tasty dill pickles. Figured Id try some carrots this go around. A big jar of garlic is next just so I can have some nice peeled cloves at my disposal in their own preservation juice.

IPAoC3.jpg.452432a9b11f2eb94605df7a242e434e.jpg

Ever since I watched that movie "Chef" recently Ive been craving cubans. On a side note I thought the movie was horrible and just a huge advertisement for social media.... Took advantage of some left over banquet pork and had me some makeshift cubans.

Wtf4Iv.jpg.da30d8a66cbb147843f0cf1dca77d97a.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah thats what Ive heard. I bought the carrots to use in one of the jars and figured theyd end up being wasted because Id never touch them in the fridge so why not pickle them. Yeah I want to try chili ginger carrots next. Maybe load them up with some garlic and onions then finish with a dash a sugar.

That looks like one of the few dishes i could get down with sweet potatoes for. I wish i liked them as much as others.

New years resolution: add more poached eggs to things.

I understand. I think that sweet potatoes get stuck with always having to be sweet or sweetened with cinnamon etc. They fall very well into the savory category but get neglected there. Theyre good with added orange zest. Eggs over top of everything! Cant wait till I get my ducks for some of their eggs..

Plug? My family has had this extra space for a while so we decided to put it to good use. Actually got all the wood for free and the coop is 24 gauge galv steel that I got free as well. They were hoods to old ac units atop a big factory near me. Its not all finished. We had some crappy wet/snow weather thats delayed the finish product. Mainly because Im putting cement down the trenches before I push the soil back and its been freezing here.

LgxDzd.jpg.787bdf72607160df47c1584e90bdab79.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing every day though.

Also, whats on friday, lunch out?

I used to make tortelloni the night before, then dump it in a tupperware, on top of a whiole bunch of baby spinach with some of my homemade tomato sauce and some fresh tomatos. Take it to work, put in the microwave, the spinach cooks while the pasta reheats, the tomatoes get hot, dump in a bowl, bit of chilli sauce lovely.

I should add, the good thing about doing it with tortelloni, is that because it is fresh, the whole prep the night before only takes about 5 mins. 2 Mins to boil the water, 2 mins to cook the pasta, 1 min to assemble.

This was the reason i stuck with the regime, because it was a piece of piss.

Word up glad to see some long time posters of this thread are coming back on board. Ive had a lot on my plate (pun intended) these days but Im still doing my fair share of looking for new avenues to cook. Yet, on the subject of preparing ahead Ive been doing just that. Crock pot cooking for the poor man! I grew up on beans from the crock so I have no problem with eating it day in and day out. Switching up the beans a bit. Black beans with pumpkin puree to add thickness, Navy and sausage, and Red with red curry paste and coconut milk. Just easy mixes that cook in about 8 hours on high. 2 lbs of dry beans each go so I got about 3 meals hot and even some for the family if they choose to partake. Then a new addiction I employ is mason jar freezing....

4lGkSE.jpg.c13658f583480611138cc8bbe45b769d.jpg

Those straight edged pint jars work great holding 2 cups a piece before freezing. End up getting 1 to 2 meals out of each depending on how hungry I am. Reusable, easy to clean, stack easy, and for some awesome reason I always end up with the exact amount left in the crock to fill an equal amount of jars. Looking to use the double tall ones to freeze and layer whole meals. Figured navy/sausage beans on the bottom, freeze, then red peppers/corn etc, freeze, and then top with rice. Moisture should go down during thaw and keep the beans nice while the rice keeps from getting soggy. I grocery shop here and there then not spend a dime for a week or two while I deplete my inventory so its not like these meals sit for months.

Crock pots got me making caramelized onions! I always want them but never leave time to make them. And you cant technically can onions sooo that sucks. 2 onions, 9 hours low temp in the crock, the occasional stir without having to sit in front of it, and tah dah... I feel like Betty Crocker. I still feel the crock pot is under utilized by the average house hold.

TF54Ar.jpg.ddeed80794c6c5c443fa6f6605b46139.jpg

The first pic you can see the silicon freeze molds. I froze them into cubes and popped them out into the larger jar for convenient use.

rQNDpi.jpg.8c8c8b6ae50e559d36c334a6a9ccd174.jpg

I was making some curry pork stew one night and wanted to do something different to the rice. I was thinking of Mulligatawny soup where sometimes they add apples with the curry. I love some rice with fruit or sweet additions so why wouldnt green apples and rice work? Then I stumbled across Pulihora that Indians make. "Sour Rice" as they call it but that sounds distasteful and my makeshift version was far from that. Main ingredients were Chili, green chilies (I used anaheim), mustard seed, whole cumin, ginger, curry leaves (I used basil), nuts of your choice, tumeric, and "sour" tangy fruit like apples, mango, tamarind. It was like a spicy, tangy, smokey, savory I dunno awesome rice.

Went a little off the wall with the plating of this one. The pulihora rice with pork curry stew, avocado, and yogurt...

UQmOZf.jpg.39a4acb9b032e3ab0a841bf9a27c2676.jpg

So with a long time desire to prep compound butters for flavor seasonings at the ready when cooking I picked up those silicon molds to make flavor cubes. I dont know the whole science behind some things but we all know that flavors infuse with some time cooking so why not when melded and frozen. I do know that there is a molecular degradation in fruits when frozen and they will tend to provide more juice and colors if frozen first before pressed or juiced (from my wine making days). Of course freezer burn is an issue but thats just a burn a surface drying on the top layer of the thing frozen. It has been proven in some instances to not alter taste and in effect Im re-liquifying the cube in the end so the drying would disappear. I can only see the ill effect only being a problem with meats and other obvious items. Oh well it seems Im in a talkative mood today...must be the coffee... So yeah I did a base prep of the pulihora and instead of using apples I used a stronger tang item that would lend its strength in smaller quantities.... Fresh tamarind... turned out not too bad but needs some tweaking... 1 cube lent comfortable flavor to 1 cup of cooked rice... Add the nuts separately... Alright Im done!

QmgiJc.jpg.77df1c8b07271b1d1b83ca111e52a43d.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've never tried cooking Green Chile Pork before, so I grabbed 6 lbs of pork shoulder and loosely based it on a recipe from that nigger-loving butter queen, Paula Dean.

I'm not browning and cubing it, I'm letting it fall off the bone for at least six hours in the crock pot.

It's amazing how just a tablespoon of jalapeño can set the pot ablaze (I get the sting-ring something fierce so it hope it doesn't turn out too spicy.)

image.thumb.jpg.1f583e7707e13e25996fe61268e1e3e3.jpg