-FIFA-World-Cup-2006-

RumPuncher

Alot of players dive' date=' and yet they are still viewed as saints (e.g. thierry henry)[/quote']

Henry so rarely dives, I don't think i can remember a single 'DIVE' from him and i have seen him every week in the premiership.

Apparently there was an incident with a barcelona player during the world cup, but if you had seen his treatment during the champions league final from said player, then I think in this incidence we can let him off.

But it doesn't sound like you watch much football really to be honest.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry so rarely dives, I don't think i can remember a single 'DIVE' from him and i have seen him every week in the premiership.

Apparently there was an incident with a barcelona player during the world cup, but if you had seen his treatment during the champions league final from said player, then I think in this incidence we can let him off.

I'm by no means an arsenal fan, but this is true, henry aint a diver, in general.

well, it looked that way at least. i still think the italian defense was doing their job, they just maybe had to do too much of it. i thought italy's problem was that their midfield stayed back too far, but maybe they were just trying to play defense to get to the pk's. still, i think buffon only had to stop a couple himself, france kept possession, but couldn't do much with it.

Exactly right, the exact same thing happened with the Italy v Australia match, the Aussies dominated play in the 2nd half but couldn't really penetrate the Italian defence, the whole time they had possesion they only got a couple of decent attempts on goal. Italy's defence basically killed us, then killed France, Zidane's header was the only real golden oppurtunity they created bar a few of Henry's magical runs but his shots really were covered by the goalie.

Italy didn't play the best but they did what they had to, in those circumstances, they pride themselves on a defensive game. Which is how they played to exceptional quality, they were 50/50 to win it and they got it. Good on them.

Your right, I don't watch that much football: because here it is soccer, and never on TV.

The truth!

Zinedine Zidane has elaborated on the chain of events which led to his attack on Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final.

The midfield genius brought the curtain down on one of the world's great careers when seeing red for a headbutt on Materazzi.

Numerous reports have commented on what led Zidane to launch his attack on the Italian defender and the France star has claimed Materazzi insulted both his mother and his sister.

"He (Materazzi) pulled on my shirt several times and I told him that we could swap shirts at the end of the game if he wanted to," Zidane said in a live interview on French television channel Canal Plus.

"He then pronounced very tough words, words that hurt me deeply, words about my mother and my sister. At first, I tried not to listen to him but he kept repeating them..

"I knew it was my last game and I knew there were only 10 minutes to play but things happened very swiftly.

"I am a man before anything else.

"I would rather have taken a punch in the jaw than have heard that."

Zidane had kept his own counsel on Sunday's events prior to his interview on French television and he has apologised for his actions - but still feels Materazzi was the guilty party.

"I apologise to all the children who watched the match on Sunday. This was not something to do. I want to make it clear because it was watched by two billion people and by millions of kids," Zidane said.

"I want to apologise to them but I can't regret what I did because it would mean that he (Materazzi) was right to say what he said."

Zidane felt referee Horacio Elizondo was correct to send him off.

"Afterwards I explained to the referee that I had been provoked, but my behaviour is not forgivable," Zidane said.

Zidane said that he would seek to defend himself at an upcoming Fifa hearing.

"I will go and I will tell everything I have just said," he added.

"The reaction is always punished but if there is no provocation there is no reaction. The guilty person is the one who provokes.

"If I reacted that way, it is because something bad happened. Do you really believe that 10 minutes before the end of my career I would be able to make such a bad gesture? The provocation was very serious."

Some had suggested Zidane may reconsider his decision to retire so as not to end his career on such a low note, but the midfield superstar says there will no comeback.

"This is a decision I have made and I will not go back on it," he said. "This is definite. I will not play again."

i dont really understand a grown man getting upset over comments about someones mom and sister. must be a european thing...

his mom went into the hospital THAT morning, ill. materrazi called his mother a terrorist whore.

he's from the streets of marseille, he's algerian-french (lillian thuram was quoted saying it's harder to be an algerian muslim in france than it is to be a black man in france... which is arguably the most racist country in europe - apart from spain and italy) and he's muslim.

you mean to tell me that if someone was calling your sister and mother a prostitute for 110 minutes, and basically taking the legs out from you every time you touch the ball, for 110 minutes, you wouldn't do shit?

I bet.

Materazzi has a history of being a problem.

I think dude deserved it, but ZZ should not have done that - for the sake of the French team. He could have made that one missed PK after overtime. And then Barthez would lose it in sudden death.

I still think Zidane deserves the Golden Ball award, regardless of such an incident. He was one of the better and more honest players in the W.C. leading up to the final. The dagger against Spain was the shit. And the corner to Henry against Brazil was even sweeter. The fact that he and France dismantled those two teams (both favorites) should warrant him receiving the award.

I'll be looking forward to what Ribery can do in 2008 and 2010.

maybe someone has already brought this up, i don't know.

I used to referee soccer, which obviously entailed being a lineman as well. having done both i think i have somewhat of an authority to say this. the way things went down was that Zizou headbutted the guy, play went on because the ref didn't see it, then when play stopped people were milling about for a while with the ref trying to get everyone to calm down. this went on for a few seconds, maybe even close to a minute, during which time the replay was shown inside the stadium. only after the replay was shown did the ref go over to the lineman. and i'm not saying that the lineman didn't see it, but it sertainly seems plausible that he saw the replay and not the headbutt itself. my main reason for saying so is that it took too long. in a situation like that, the linesman should have immediately had his flag up and just stood there, and when play stopped the ref would have seen this immediately, because they are trained to check their linemen when play stops. in that situation it would even have been appropriate for the lineman to step out on to the pitch one stride to alert the ref even more emphatically.

my personal conclusion is that the lineman saw the replay and thus, while the call was true, it was not correct.

his mom went into the hospital THAT morning, ill. materrazi called his mother a terrorist whore.

he's from the streets of marseille, he's algerian-french (lillian thuram was quoted saying it's harder to be an algerian muslim in france than it is to be a black man in france... which is arguably the most racist country in europe - apart from spain and italy) and he's muslim.

you mean to tell me that if someone was calling your sister and mother a prostitute for 110 minutes, and basically taking the legs out from you every time you touch the ball, for 110 minutes, you wouldn't do shit?

I bet.

thats a little more valid. im still pissed he lost his cool over it but given the background i can understand a bit more.

....not to mention if i could head butt someone in the chest and make them crumple to the ground i would probably be itching to show that off in front of millions of people.