What, No Helene Thread?!!!!!1one

Fist 666

Shits real bad. I'll start a photo thread eventually.

My road is washed out in multiple places and the bridge to my road is gone. I've got hundreds of trees down on my 13 acres, over 40 (not counting trees less than 6" diameters) down on my driveway. 

No power for the foreseeable future. 

No plan but to clear my driveway until I'm out of bar oil and fuel.

Anybody else get poked in the pooper by this shit?

• Like 5
  • Props 3
  • LOL! 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have not been paying attention to the weather at all but thinking to myself that this rain we have had for the last few days seems like hurricane/trop storm was near. 

that sounds miserable and I hope you get up and runnin soon. 
RIP to those trees too. 
seems like you have a lotta work to do

• Like 1

On 9/29/2024 at 4:56 PM, Fist 666 said:

Shits real bad. I'll start a photo thread eventually.

My road is washed out in multiple places and the bridge to my road is gone. I've got hundreds of trees down on my 13 acres, over 40 (not counting trees less than 6" diameters) down on my driveway. 

No power for the foreseeable future. 

No plan but to clear my driveway until I'm out of bar oil and fuel.

Anybody else get poked in the pooper by this shit?

If you are poking shit in your pooper you are doing it wrong as you are meant to get that shit outta there.

And you know the score here is pics or it didnt happen

• Like 1

shits wild. My parents havent had power since thursday. power company says they doubt it will be back on before this thursday.  

They have acouple of generators but the line to buy gas is 2+ hours long. 

They are in south east georgia.

Up in Asheville, NC it seems really bad there too.

at my house ive got some limbs down but nothing else worth noting.

• Like 1

@diggity I work in Asheville, my address is in Swannanoa, we've had news choppers over us almost hourly so you've probably seen my road, my house, or even me by now.

It's fucked in town. I've heard they've been pulling bodies out of trees... confirmed death toll seems manipulated based on the destruction that took place, I guess time will tell. 

Pics are coming, don't worry Mauler.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

@diggity I work in Asheville, my address is in Swannanoa, we've had news choppers over us almost hourly so you've probably seen my road, my house, or even me by now.

It's fucked in town. I've heard they've been pulling bodies out of trees... confirmed death toll seems manipulated based on the destruction that took place, I guess time will tell. 

Pics are coming, don't worry Mauler.

I always worry, My career was in Risk Identification and Mitigation as an Analyst so worrying and identifying things to be worried about is what I exist for it seems.

I was moreso looking forward to this thread showing the destruction and the rebuild of whatever was destroyed and as I am not familiar with where you were til this post I have no idea where to look to see what has happened. Asheville sounds like the last place I would personally live given the connotations I adhere to ashes (highschool and death bullshit as My highscools acronym was ASHS)

Will scope it out though.

Looked at CBS and they said it was "Biblical Damage".

Looks pretty fucked and I wish you well with the recovery process although I wonder how much damage would be mitigated if you built houses in the US using bricks and mortar with steel frames as opposed to using pieces of offcut to make wooden frames with plasterboard drywall walls. 

Everytime I see US weather destruction I think this.

• Like 2

In America, we build crappy things, pay ridiculous amounts of money for said cappy built things, then pay insurance companies to insure said built crappy things.  It makes us feel like we are winning. 

Make America Build Great Again!

Seriously though, it's the American way, build subpar, becuase it will eventually fall apart, break, or get wiped out.   So we can rebuilt all of this all over again.  I call it, sustaining capitalism.

In America, it costs the big builders around 34-50k to build the average 1-2 story home which sells for 350-400k  All while very strick on 45day completions.   Poorly build homes are more profitable than something built with some kinda of fortified thought in regards to structural integrity.

The issue is now, the insurance companies are trying to keep themselves from going bankrupt from year over year, back to back natural disasters.   From wild fires, to land slides and hurricanes.  I don't care how much money you make, you can't keep getting hit with multi billion dollar claims.  So the insurance companies have been slowly discontinuing to offer flood insurance in some parts of the US.  In my city, a major insurer stop accept new policies for flood insurance.   I would like to think by insurance companies slowly discontinuing hard hit areas, this would make people to build smarter and better.  But I really do not see that happening becuase that costs money, but most importantly, like the 2 ladies Mr. Yuck ran into, and the 2 candidates we have running out of all the qualified people in this world, apparently we love crap. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@ndv you right. These big builders build like shit. Personally I'm not too keen on anything built after the mid 70s. The builders costs are hella higher than that though. What's weird though is it's cheaper to build larger houses on a per square foot basis. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

@ndv you right. These big builders build like shit. Personally I'm not too keen on anything built after the mid 70s. The builders costs are hella higher than that though. What's weird though is it's cheaper to build larger houses on a per square foot basis. 

Guess it's cheaper becuase more materials are used and they get better pricing.

I was just thinking about what I posted a few minutes ago.   I realized the numbers I gave where for like 15 years ago plus speaking on the costs to build in Texas.  Rule of thumb is to have the home complete in 45 days.  That's pretty fast if you ask me.  Or at least I've always thought so. So you know corners and experience is cut to hit those speed and profits.  The area of HTX I am living in, entire neighborhoods are being built in a matter of months.  It's crazy,  I'll drive by somewhere in the suburbs and developers will be groundbreaking, a few months later a few hundred homes or so, by the end of the year, at least 700-100 homes.   But as I go along in life, over the past decade, I have taken notice on the construction phases of a house, and say to myself, "there's no way that has structural integrity at that sell price and as quickly as they go up it gotta pass inspection at bare minimum.  Not too mention home builders paying inspection and other officials to turn their head the other way. 

I am currently watching two homes go up,  both are in an affluent part of town, one looks to sale for 2-3 mil and still looks like it's about a 500k build seeing it go through the phases, materials didnt look amy different than that of the suburbs.  Not knocking someone making profit.  My point is there are certain levels of quality but the 2-3 mil home was built pretty quickly too.  Finished in a month or two.  The one currently being built of course is 5 times the size and probably is close to 20-25 million but the build quality looks pretty stout,  the quality of materials, i do not see used anywhere else but in luxury homes.  But the build time on this one is going by rather quickly imo.  Perhaps they have timing figured out knowing wjat works best for the materials they use.  Opposed to the other guys like Plute, definitely Perry Homes, Saratoga, and the likes, no matter what materials you give them, they are going to higher the cheapest labor and slap it up as fast as they can ignoring the fact they don't mind shaming their family name. 

• Truth 1

On 10/7/2024 at 7:39 PM, toyeattoywaroner said:

I showed up for this post.

Everyone remember to check on your flooded people.

I know contact is probably difficult but nothing wrong with leaving a message.

Did you have any aliases on here?

Nice sentiment all the same and if you are new welcome

• Like 1

@ndvour shitty builder around here is Ryan Homes. When some one goes and points to the picture of the house they want and which plot they want it on, it's 60 days for them to clear the lot, build the house, and the moving truck is pulling up in the driveway. I tried doing both drywall and paint for these assholes but it was a no go for me. I'm not interested in working 13 hour days for peanuts. But I know who does. Exploited labor to the rescue. 

Bigger houses being cheaper to build per square foot works a little something like this. There are some hard costs when building a neighborhood. For example tying a house into the sewer line is like $20,000 per house around here. If you are building a 1000 sqft house that's a cost of $20 per sqft. Now if you are building a 2000 sqft house, that drops the cost per sqft down to $10. Things like that is why building a 1000 sqft house will run you $200 per foot and building a 2500+ sqft house will cost you closer to $150.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Also if like to give a special shout out to my aunt and uncle that decided to ride Milton out in Tampa after seeing how Helene went down. 

that’s a bold decision 

• Truth 1