The general discussion thread within our general discussion.

In my experience people get fed up with Unions for 'protecting' lazy workers.  I have worked both Union and non in my line of work and prefer to be non Union, but I also work for a company that treats us well.  I think Unions are important to keep employers honest (lol, well you know what I mean) and on their toes. 

• Like 4

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The only experience I have ever had with a union was about... 20, 21 years ago. Something like that. I was a young buck working a drywall 7-3. The job was so fucking big we(the company) had to bring in union help. I think it was only 3 guys. Our company employees were under strict orders to not talk to or even acknowledge these "lazy bums." 

They were isolated in another section of the building away from us non unions. At the time I didn't understand or care why they were being isolated from us. All I knew is those lazy bums were just gonna get in my way anyway.

I was making $12.50 at the time, and I think the highest paid guy at the company that had been there for 20 years was making like $17. I bet the prospect of losing all of their employees to the union and having to pay everyone in the 20s was terrifying to them.

• Like 2
  • Truth 3

9 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

There’s some lazy union guys but there’s lazy people everywhere. And I’m fine with people getting paid. Fuck the man on all counts.

Haha. I know that's right. I had a project manager a few days ago try and get me to take on a project for some real shit money. I took a look around and decided that I wasn't gonna do the job for anything less than triple what he was trying to pay. He started crying about his margins and how he wasn't going to make his commission at that price. I told him to stop trying to extract excess value from my labor comrade.😂 He's paying me that dough.

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Like 1
  • Props 3

Yeah, I've worked a job with a union option and I felt that the union was pretty lame and I was better off putting those dues in my pocket instead because I needed $.  I felt like they did too much grandstanding for one thing, kind of challenging shit just to be confrontational.  Not that the employer didn't need to be checked.  Some of the protections they got for workers were overreaching and also harmful to workers and employer alike.  For example, letting seniority allow someone to be assigned to an area instead of using measures like competence.  One time I did have the right as a general employee to request a union rep for something so I did.  First thing dude did was to start trying to find wack ass excuses for me to use, like shit I wouldn't be buying if you tried to sell it to me.  

• Like 1

My union steady negotiating cost of living increases - pension game is pretty ill too.

Sure not for everyone but it has definitely improved my ability to live. 

I think at our next contract negotiations we are asking for a 27% cost of living increase. Sure - that will be negotiated down. Shoot for the moon and land amongst the stars my guys. 

• Like 2
  • Props 1

On 4/20/2023 at 9:24 PM, mr.yuck said:

That's a business I no longer really have love for anymore. I've been doing a lot of reevaluating here recently. I'm interested in how you were able to walk away from the whole system. What's the look like?

Stared at this so long I got logged off.  IDK, I stopped giving a fuck, like Office Space.

• Like 1
  • Props 3

18 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

"i did absolutely nothing and it was everything that i thought it could be"

Kind of, maybe, but I'm no couch slouch.  

There is a kind of nice feeling to leaving out in the morning for trains or dogs or whatever.  Someone will be acting like a foolish driver racing to get past me or cut me off and I remind myself, this dude is racing like a madman and losing his shit to get to work.  I'm going to a train or whatever, let dude carry on his way, I have 0 fucks to give about his rat racing.

Edited by One Man Banned
  • Like 1
  • Props 2

On 3/23/2023 at 8:41 PM, mr.yuck said:

LETS PLAY A GAME!

I'm gonna name a new weird sex thing and you guys are gonna define it.

We were laying in bed talking about how Tucker Carlson is a slippery noodle. 

Define The Slippery Tucker

****Breaking News****

Ol’ Slippery Tucker C is out of the job!

More time to smoke dope and listen to jam bands!

53A61C4B-11A6-4D3B-8633-1F70279856FB.webp

• Props 1

4 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

further along on the frame resto. deep cleaned it yesterday, power washer. sprayed today w/ a rust inhibitor. next to find someone who is willing to install it.

You got the rust inhibitor as your base, spray primer then a ceramic paint then you should be all set. 

Edited by ndv
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

arrested development, krs one, the ohio players, pittsburgh symphony orchestra and lots more for free in june in pittsburgh

missed KRS one by one day when I went to LA🤬 in 2007

Missed him by a week in NYC 2009 at the central Park summer stage 😡🤬

KRS one is a great concert apparently.

I got so psyched and then so drunk that i remember nothing whatsoever of the show.

not a fucking minute of it.

😡😡🤬

remember hitting the pub afterwards and seeing a bunch of writers I knew and  all of babbling about the blast master and somebody showing me an autographed tennis ball he threw out.

He'll never come back to australia since he doesn't fly.

That concert sounds awesome

• Like 2

I was just this week talking to my kid about getting too wasted to remember concerts, lol, I went to but sure as hell do not remember some pretty great acts.

Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh know how to get excited for the summer.

The Blast Master should put his concert info on his website so I don't need to go to some punk ass ticketmaster just to get some idea.

How is it that ticketmaster is still a going concern, I went to the fucking opera a couple weekends back and somehow they get a cut of that. It seems to me that a non profit org should be able to develop a ticketing system for a fraction of the cost, it is not like there is threat of counterfeit tickets or some need of aggressive surge pricing algorithm. An email with a pdf of ticket and qr code is all that is needed. I would much prefer my money go to support the orginazation.

At the same show they made a big deal of enforcing bag size and metal detectors which was a big performative waste of money and slowed up the entrance so much they had to delay the start of the show by like 20 minutes. Then at intermission there was no screening on re-entry just another waste of money to make some other motherfucker money for nothing beyond being a pain in my ass.

The PSO puts on a good show, in season the cheap seats are like 20 bucks and the sound is fine. Another nice thing about their shows is that they have little mini concerts before and after so you can learn something and really make a day out if it if you want. 

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

This post may be insensitive to some but that's life 🤷‍♂️

Pet insurance?  I am sure there are many factors involved when covering a pet, like breed, type of insurance, and life style just to name a few which will determine rates.  I am the type who is curious for analytical reasons of intrest comparing cost of breed vs. insured rate and what's cheaper.  

I find this pet insurance bonkers and more so a cuck type of thing due to attachment.  But anyhow...

So if my breed (Sparky) costs 10k, life span is about 12yrs.  Insurance costs me 250 a month amd around year 7 - 10, the pet needs medical attention, say there may be a deductible, but at this point after factoring in tye 250/month over seven years, that's 21k, so forget the deductible at that point.  Thanks but no thanks pet insurance, it's gonna be smarter and more financially responsible to pay the 300 euthanization fee, buy a new Sparky than pay 250 a month.  

And if I really wanted to get cheap, pet adoption is a lot cheaper than AKC breeds, plus I am helping a cause so there's that.  Smh.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll rinse and repeat.   I mean euthanize and repeat.

🤓

13 hours ago, morton said:

How is it that ticketmaster is still a going concern, I went to the fucking opera a couple weekends back and somehow they get a cut of that. It seems to me that a non profit org should be able to develop a ticketing system for a fraction of the cost, it is not like there is threat of counterfeit tickets or some need of aggressive surge pricing algorithm.

6 hours ago, ndv said:

This post may be insensitive to some but that's life 🤷‍♂️

Pet insurance?  I am sure there are many factors involved when covering a pet, like breed, type of insurance, and life style just to name a few which will determine rates.  I am the type who is curious for analytical reasons of intrest comparing cost of breed vs. insured rate and what's cheaper.  

I find this pet insurance bonkers and more so a cuck type of thing due to attachment.  But anyhow...

So if my breed (Sparky) costs 10k, life span is about 12yrs.  Insurance costs me 250 a month amd around year 7 - 10, the pet needs medical attention, say there may be a deductible, but at this point after factoring in tye 250/month over seven years, that's 21k, so forget the deductible at that point.  Thanks but no thanks pet insurance, it's gonna be smarter and more financially responsible to pay the 300 euthanization fee, buy a new Sparky than pay 250 a month.  

And if I really wanted to get cheap, pet adoption is a lot cheaper than AKC breeds, plus I am helping a cause so there's that.  Smh.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll rinse and repeat.   I mean euthanize and repeat.

🤓

Probably insensitive.  As someone who volunteers in pet adoption, we may not want you.  But more to your point, any insurance is a scam, period.  The whole business is pretty dirty, they're charging you money and placing bets on your wellness with the goal of you having to pay in more than you're ever going to get out.  

• Truth 1

Jesus Christ, son. I think you missed your calling in life doing cost analysis for toxic waste companies that want to dump their waste directly into the food supply some how but aren't sure if the lawsuits from all the cancer they create will outweigh the sweet sweet savings of money.

Update your resume.

I'm not sure I got your point straight. You think caring about or for other living creatures is cuck behaviour? 

• Truth 1

3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

Probably insensitive.  As someone who volunteers in pet adoption, we may not want you.  But more to your point, any insurance is a scam, period.  The whole business is pretty dirty, they're charging you money and placing bets on your wellness with the goal of you having to pay in more than you're ever going to get out.  

But that's just it, what pet adoption is going to know I chose to put down my pet oppse to paying 21k for a 5k animal. 

1 hour ago, mr.yuck said:

Jesus Christ, son. I think you missed your calling in life doing cost analysis for toxic waste companies that want to dump their waste directly into the food supply some how but aren't sure if the lawsuits from all the cancer they create will outweigh the sweet sweet savings of money.

Update your resume.

I'm not sure I got your point straight. You think caring about or for other living creatures is cuck behaviour? 

I am not saying caring for living creatures is cuck behavior, what I am saying is those who would throw money at senseless things with animals, is question them.   For example, I know someone who has/had this cat that appearantly has some psychological disorder or behavioral issues they prescribed kitty Prozac.  If the cat didn't take the meds, it would be very mean to everyone.  

I didn't get it, why?  I mean I understand she loved the cat but at a certain point there's gotta be some kinda nonsense there. 

• Truth 1

I get it. You value money over the health, well being and quality of life of the animals you choose stewardship over. Some people are just the opposite. 

Don't get me wrong, I never had insurance for my dog. I also go hit with some whopper medical bills for things as innocuous as a broken foot, that time she ate a pork chop bone, that time she wouldn't stop limping every god damn time we were about to go out of town and there was never anything wrong with her. It would have been cheaper to just put her down than pay out all of those bills and replace her with a similar version. That sounds fucking insane, though.

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

I skip all that bullshit by not having a dog in the first place. 

I spend so much time and money making little improvements to the form and function of my apartment. Will it ever end? It is like every little step up either makes some new problem appear or makes some other aspect look shabby in comparison. 

• Truth 1

12 hours ago, ndv said:

But that's just it, what pet adoption is going to know I chose to put down my pet oppse to paying 21k for a 5k animal. 

I believe part of the issue is you're trying to attach a monetary value to a pet/life whereas a good owner with a good connection to their pet does not view them as an expense.

• Like 1
  • Truth 3

3 hours ago, One Man Banned said:

I believe part of the issue is you're trying to attach a monetary value to a pet/life whereas a good owner with a good connection to their pet does not view them as an expense.

They also don’t view them as a replaceable object.

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

I often say that most animals are better people than most people.

There might be some regional thinking in the above discussion.  There are a lot of dogs being rescued from the Southern states from TX on East.  As one Southern rescuer explained, in the North people tend to treat their dogs as family members.  In the South, dogs are considered more like work animals more akin to livestock. 

• Truth 1