This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This completely validates my thought on builder grade homes in the 400-700k range.  The only difference from a 150-200k home to a 700k home is the Sq. footage changing the price. 

I have walked in to some million dollar homes, and even then I'll notice fixtures, or finishes you see in 300k homes.

Home Builders are the wild west. 

The aforemtioned builder grade practices need to be regulated.  We need to lobby for good, lobby to stick to builder for once.  But I am not saying everything should have to change, like for example, outlets have to be hospital grade, but it wouldn't hurt if manufactures like Lexicon had to follow new guidelines to require hospital grade outlets.  I mean, some could argue that the price goes up, but personally I think this mentality to an extent is bull crap once you factor in increase in qty production. 

• Truth 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Whole thing needs immediate gutting like two years ago when I moved in but there are seriously so many other projects I haven’t even thought about it. 

Holy shit man. You weren't lying. Lol. There were a whole lot of choices made in there.

• 2 months later...

Hey. I have a question for our resident sparkies @Fist 666and @Mercer

I have been working at this house for the past month. The outlet in their hall bath shit out the other day. I stuck my suicide stick in there and it was still hot so I decided I would just replace the outlet. Easy enough. 

So I go out to the garage and start flipping breakers to cut power to that circuit. I flipped every breaker and never lost power. I finally ended up having to hit the main breaker to the house before I was able to work on that circuit safely.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Is it possible that the breaker for that circuit is broken and is allowing power to flow whether the breaker is flipped on or off?

1. Yes it's possible that the breaker isn't working anymore. How old is the home and/or panel?

But 

2. Don't trust your stick for diagnosis. Use a meter to verify its getting 120 (or 110 or 115 or whatever is standard in your locale) at the receptacle. Hot sticks are referred to as "suicide sticks" because people trust them too much, but they also (harmlessly?) give false positives that waste a shit load of time. There's a chance your ticker is telling you it's hot when it isn't more than a couple volts (which could indicate a host of other problems,  or could be nothing).

Buy a circuit finder if you're going to do electrical work. Or my more professional advice is, hire an electrician to do electrical work. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Props 2

@Fist 666it was built in 1986 and it looks like everything is all original to it. 

Another thing that struck me as odd was while I was rewiring the new outlet up, the neutral wire kept breaking on me. It was super brittle. Blue jacket 12/2. 

I dunno man. Im all about hiring electricians and plumbers. 

I told the people out of an abundance of caution to call an electrician in to figure out what the fuck is wrong with their shit if anything. 

@mr.yuckunfortunately being so close to downtown its hard to do shit on the low.

My cousin got hammered

recently for doing his bathrooms without permit. Some fuck that hates on his street parking called it in.

My neighbors are all cool but the city runs fines daily for unpermitted shit. Opening up my kitchen was easy but the basement is completely rough and will need a bunch of work. 

Basically bend over now and they use lube - get caught up later and get fucked.

By my estimates this basement thing will cost like 30k+

• Props 1

Because all my doors have different hardware, and some different paint colors, I'm in the process of removing all interior doors, sanding down to the wood, applying a coat of primer, then new paint, then new hinges and door handles. I'm about halfway through but two of the doors are sticking when I go to open them. They're not sticking too bad, and it's not marring the paint on the door or door jamb, it's just kind of annoying. 

I tried to rubbing wax paper on the door and jamb where where the sticking is happening but that didn't do anything. 

So I'm coming here to see if anyone has any ideas I could try. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Because all my doors have different hardware, and some different paint colors, I'm in the process of removing all interior doors, sanding down to the wood, applying a coat of primer, then new paint, then new hinges and door handles. I'm about halfway through but two of the doors are sticking when I go to open them. They're not sticking too bad, and it's not marring the paint on the door or door jamb, it's just kind of annoying. 

I tried to rubbing wax paper on the door and jamb where where the sticking is happening but that didn't do anything. 

So I'm coming here to see if anyone has any ideas I could try. Thanks in advance. 

Dab of this should do the trick.

D50FB02A-19E6-4AF8-AF8E-27DDCC4CD046.jpeg

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

that sucks. it happened at an apartment complex in the area know for being kinda low-budget a few years ago.

If I recall correctly, he got extremely fucked up from it….But, think he came out paid up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

this is what happened 

ghows-PA-a1da55bf-da84-46cd-9f4c-f7aefdc13aea-cbabd03a.thumb.jpeg.616db22a7092ad8b38ef171fe11359d1.jpeg

ghows-PA-677f4754-2e61-4e53-a9a3-053f7c8da7e2-9dc79e16.thumb.jpeg.f06bf4cf74e1f69581cb9b6c29cae473.jpeg

Rescue crews from across Millcreek Township responded to a terrace collapse Tuesday night that reportedly left at least four people injured at Granada Apartments, officials said.

Two of the people were believed to have suffered serious injuries, Erie County 911 dispatchers said.

Fire crews and police from Millcreek, Belle Valley, West Ridge and Kearsarge were on the scene. Millcreek Paramedic Services transported at least two people to Hamot Medical Center. Two others were described as "walking wounded," a 911 dispatcher said.

The incident occurred at about 7:40 p.m. at 5957 Jodie Lane, authorities said.

A third-floor outdoor terrace collapsed onto a second-floor terrace, officials said.

oh wow. You are in the know on that incident, I just vaguely remember it being mentioned.

• LOL! 1

Soo I know y'all be talking about electrical and work and stuff on here Soo anyways I'm new to this running my own business thing and looking to get more active on social media this year for advertising, Soo far I've made a facebook and yelp... Just looking for advice for those in the know. Yallah!

Edited by cancelculttourist