This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
13 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

U-G-L-Y YOU UGLY!

Come on, son!There are several things that are problematic with this image. 

Haha. I haven't done anything with the grounds yet and one of those Romex jackets hasn't been trimmed down. Other than that what's up? I was laughing reading this cuz I know what the rest of the wire looks like and all I kept thinking was Kennedy saying "next time you need help, call a crack head!" 😂

First things are there should be plastic bushings/grommets/or a compression fitting where the knockouts are on the top of the panel, that's the holes the wires come in through the top. Any strong tug on a wire and the metal from the panel could cut into the wire and cause a short without the proper smooth rounded pathway. .

Second thing is any wire leaving a box/panel/or penetration should be supported withing 12 inches of the panel, meaning those wires should be stapled to the studs less that 12 inches up. I only see one place it's supported on the right about two feet up.

Third thing is placement, you're directly under a pvc drain pipe. If the pipe springs a leak, even if it's up the line and it runs down the outside of the pipe and drips onto the panel, you're fucked. Assuming the drains install was as out of code as the panel, that's a pretty major disaster waiting to happen, and another code violation.

Those were just the super blatant code violations, and fire safety hazards that would make any inspector fail within 2 seconds of looking at this.

Then there's the somewhat sloppy manner the circuits are landed in the breakers. There's a little too much extra wire, and they should be folded/trimmed or made into service loops. Make sure not to fold too tight beyond the bend radius of the wire. The problem with the way they're too long is there's a chance down the road someone will pinch one when they put the cover on. They shouldn't touch the bottom of the panel. Also, too late, but that concept is the opposite on the main service, there should be "service loops" up there on the feed.

Judging by the handyman electrician appearance, it also wouldn't hurt to double check, and tighten down the wires into their breaker terminals, then grab the wire and wiggle it around in the terminal trying to pull it out, then tighten down even more after confirming it won't. Especially the 220 connection bottom right, and the main line in. Loose connections there are the number one causes of house fires caused by electrical panels.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

1. None of those cables are secured above the subpanel, they should be strapped/stapled withing 12". (The one coming from the side technically counts as secured by the perpendicular hole).

2. I can't see any wire retention where the cables enter the box; pop-ins, romex connectors, something to hold the wire in place.

3. Jesus holy rats nest. Code minimum for sheathing inside a box is a 1/4", you've got feet. 

4. General code point of "neat and workmanlike manner."

I don't often take pics of my work, but here is a service I did about 3 years ago. (600a service with subpanel and lighting control panels)--that's what it *could* look like above yours.

1114477095_20200813_1512082.thumb.jpg.31414b630404bc084064dc6b23aea839.jpg

I'll get some inside a panel images on Monday, but here is an 800a service in the middle of install, ill get finished pucs of that next week. Supply chain is fucked for big gear so this required more puzzle pieces to make it work.

IMG_1643.thumb.jpg.60175fc3220161e0365cdd397e9f75a1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

BM has the best color line imo for industry standard giants. Curtains paint ms for certain things obv but yeah. Can’t go wrong checking the palettes. 

Truth!

Can’t beat a quality BM in your bathroom.

Quiet moments….

• Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

1 hour ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

BM has the best color line imo for industry standard giants. Curtains paint ms for certain things obv but yeah. Can’t go wrong checking the palettes. 

I second this. Ben Moore's color selection feels intentional as opposed to Sherwin and the others that just fill in the gaps with the next shade.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

15 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

Lol, it's important to clarify,  sparky in a very non-union state. I'd double my wages if I went back to a union state.

That's a pretty significant difference, I moved from Local #3 IBEW in NYC to a non union state (CO) and made significantly more day 1. NICET fire alarm guy of course but still. I've noticed there's a lot of variation in pay for electricians depending on the market they're in. NYC's Jman wages were getting close to $60 an hour plus an additional 20 or so per hour for health/well being and pension.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

That's a pretty significant difference, I moved from Local #3 IBEW in NYC to a non union state (CO) and made significantly more day 1. NICET fire alarm guy of course but still. I've noticed there's a lot of variation in pay for electricians depending on the market they're in. NYC's Jman wages were getting close to $60 an hour plus an additional 20 or so per hour for health/well being and pension.

We get treated rough south of the Mason Dixon line with exception to the northern VA / DC adjacent area. I for real walked into several jobs that wouldn't pay me more than $12-15 with 20 years trade experience and told me I should be happy to get that. I think there was one guy that had been with one of these companies for 20 years that was making $18. This was a key driving force in me striking it out on my own. All these sucker ass companies that didn't want to see me go but also didn't want to pony up more cash can suck it. I think my first day on my own, I made my weekly pay, also came to find out I was undercharging for my work by about half.

• Like 1
  • Truth 3
  • Props 1

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I know journeymen in Seattle and Boston both push $60+, I'm at half that and it's very good for my region. There is a trade off, my land and house cost half of what they would in the high paying areas so even if my wages doubled--my dollar wouldn't necessarily go any further there. 

It's hard to stick with a company and not go on my own, I believe I'd do well, but there is comfort in letting other people deal with all the overhead shit. Time will tell how long I can put up with their bullshit, though. 

• Like 3
  • Truth 2

11 minutes ago, Fist 666 said:

I know journeymen in Seattle and Boston both push $60+, I'm at half that and it's very good for my region. There is a trade off, my land and house cost half of what they would in the high paying areas so even if my wages doubled--my dollar wouldn't necessarily go any further there. 

It's hard to stick with a company and not go on my own, I believe I'd do well, but there is comfort in letting other people deal with all the overhead shit. Time will tell how long I can put up with their bullshit, though. 

I hear that, moved into a project management position and holy fuck is it stressful. Hoping it's just a two year temporary stopgap to me opening my own fire alarm company in the future.

I'd much rather have some productive land/property down south to grow food on than be stuck paying a mortgage on a 1M house up in Seattle myself. Hoping to make something happen here property upgrade wise in Colorado but damn is it getting expensive here.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

It's hard to stick with a company and not go on my own, I believe I'd do well, but there is comfort in letting other people deal with all the overhead shit.

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

moved into a project management position and holy fuck is it stressful.

Bros. I'm pretty sure stress is a major factor in what landed me in the hospital. 

It's never the physical work that's the hard part. It's the dealing with the god damn customers that sucks. I have a problem with internalizing criticism. It's absolutely retarded that we put out custom, interior designer, magazine quality finish work and you have some hood booger mother fucker trying to blame you for their previous bullshit work that you are covering up. Paint all over the ceiling, paint on stained trims or cabinets, trash in the previous coats of paint. One of your guys broke my TV. There's a tear in my couch that wasn't there before you showed up. Fuck these people man. 

It would be different If my company had layers, but it's just me. I find the job, I deal with the customer, I do the actual work, I then have to listen to their bullshit lies and talk about the poor quality of workmanship. I'm surprised that I haven't smoked one of these faggots yet.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

11 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Bros. I'm pretty sure stress is a major factor in what landed me in the hospital. 

It's never the physical work that's the hard part. It's the dealing with the god damn customers that sucks. I have a problem with internalizing criticism. It's absolutely retarded that we put out custom, interior designer, magazine quality finish work and you have some hood booger mother fucker trying to blame you for their previous bullshit work that you are covering up. Paint all over the ceiling, paint on stained trims or cabinets, trash in the previous coats of paint. One of your guys broke my TV. There's a tear in my couch that wasn't there before you showed up. Fuck these people man. 

It would be different If my company had layers, but it's just me. I find the job, I deal with the customer, I do the actual work, I then have to listen to their bullshit lies and talk about the poor quality of workmanship. I'm surprised that I haven't smoked one of these faggots yet.

chill out dude, take some deep breaths…I can tell your blood pressure is elevating just reading your post.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 1

5 minutes ago, LUGR said:

chill out dude, take some deep breaths…I can tell your blood pressure is elevating just reading your post.

Nah. I'm good. I decided these fools can get fucked. Fix your own god damn house. I'm gonna kick it with the interior designer and do work for people that actually want me there. I just went by her website and some of my work made the cut for her portfolio. 

• Props 1