This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

Im going to be documenting the remodel of my house here. Day in and day out i fix other peoples broken homes and never really get to do anything fun or interesting. Im looking forward to doing some of the most rediculously over the top shit I can think of. If you have any suggestionsof what I should do somewhere, Im all ears.

This is the beginning:

20200309_174527.jpg

20200309_174543.jpg

20200309_174607.jpg

20200309_174628.jpg

20200309_174706.jpg

20200309_174751.jpg

• Like 3
  • Props 7

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@mr.yuck- make a secret room or a passage that can be used to exit the house in an emergency if possible..... also make an in wall aquarium.  I have an e-book that can help with the aquarium stuff if you decide to do that.  Put a urinal in the bathroom because that shit would be boss mode..... maybe make the entire bathroom a shower instead of one small section of the bathroom a shower.

Also, build out the attic to be more than some dusty ass storage space and make a cool way of getting up there or down from up there..... like a fireman's pole.  Bonus if the fireman's pole goes into the room w/ the secret exit.... and bonus if the attic is like a bad ass man cave or something.... or woman cave.  Make a zip line out of a platform on the attic that goes down to a tree or a pole on the ground for an alternate exit to outside.

That's all of my crazy ideas for now.

• Like 3
  • Props 1

Also, it looks like now is the time to put in bad ass insulation and double pane gas filled windows.  Yes, they're a bit pricey but I think it would cut down on the bill.  Also, you could do like they do to the houses in Colorado where they take advantage of the direction the breeze usually blows by putting windows in the house that allow you to "air condition" the house with fresh outdoor air.... so that essentially makes your heating/cooling bill "zero" for certain parts of the day/year.

• Like 2
  • Truth 2
  • Props 1

Just now, Fist 666 said:

No tv, just a bunch of books. 

One of my old roommates had a small tv in the living room but all walls of the living room were book storage and he had it full of books.  I've never seen or known anyone since that had so many books.  Made my collection look tiny.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Put a urinal in the bathroom because that shit would be boss mode..... maybe make the entire bathroom a shower instead of one small section of the bathroom a shower.

I tried the urinal idea on my place but wife wasn't having it.

that would be awesome!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Also, it looks like now is the time to put in bad ass insulation and double pane gas filled windows.  Yes, they're a bit pricey but I think it would cut down on the bill.  Also, you could do like they do to the houses in Colorado where they take advantage of the direction the breeze usually blows by putting windows in the house that allow you to "air condition" the house with fresh outdoor air.... so that essentially makes your heating/cooling bill "zero" for certain parts of the day/year.

So all of the windows are already replacement windows, within the last 10 years or so. This house does predate AC so the windows are already configured for the old timey air exchange. Now for the really interesting stuff. This house doesnt have any exterior framing. Its solid brick a few courses deep and the floor joists actually tie into the brick. On the exterior walls there are just furring strips nailed to the brick to hold the plasterboard. This house has no insulation. Im going to build some dummy walls running around the exterior for insulation and ease of running new electric.

• Like 2

@mr.yuck can you not use foam insulation on your exterior walls? Or is the furring too thin? I know some of that foam can get to r20 , but its pricey af. Or maybe look into icynene? Also fucking pricey,  but it's amazing what it does for heating and cooling costs.  

@Dirty_habiT basically his outside walls are brick with thin wood, not 2x4,, so there isn't the necessary depth for him to put standard insulation in. 

• Like 2

@Fist 666thats correct. The furring is maybe only 3/8" at the most. So thats the depth of the dead space between the plasterboard and the brick. Plus that doesnt really leave space to run electrical and new standard depth outlet boxes. I suppose thats why they were all set into these 8 inch tall baseboards.

• Like 1

Damn.. that makes for a project. Assuming you need to do green/pressure treated against that old brick, too?  At least you can do cool stuff with deeper window sills accordingly. 

Re: the electrical, you could put stuff in 4x4 metal boxes and get your furring depth down to 1.5", you should run emt between though, which adds a different pricing/time element to consider as opposed to 2x4s and romex. Also don't know your local codes, some places have weird requirements. 

• Like 1

@Dirty_habiT

New construction style framing is where houses are a shell built from 2x4s and exterior walls are sometimes built with 2x6s in colder climates. Walls are built and when you go up to the next level, the floor joists sit on top of the previous levels walls like so:i-joists-hero.thumb.jpg.fd500de330671c78912e5a083b9fde45.jpg

My house is built where the exterior walls are solid brick. They stopped building houses like this around 1945. There are little pockets built into the brick for the floor joists to slide into like so:attic-13.jpg.fd91e8b76eb70f92cf171e430f1c51bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Also, I like all of these suggestions. 

Here is what I am willing to entertain in no particular order of greatness:

1) hidden stash spots

2) skeletons

3) sex dungeon

4) herb garden

5) urinal

6) im trying to figure out how to make my house poop a dildo into the neighbors house.

7) shower bathroom (no glass)

Edited by mr.yuck
8) library
  • Like 1
  • Props 2
  • LOL! 2