This Old Trap House: Wonk Saggin Edition

mr.yuck

@mr.yuck19 panels total for 7.8kW.

This should be enough + some extra to generate for my needs.  It’s not battery backed it’s connected to our grid so the months of March/April->Oct I’ll be generally exporting and only importing in the evenings for things like appliances etc

super stoked on this, need to get some data history going now to see how the money flow looks!  I *should* be in the black for electricity year over year going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@metronomethat's what I'm talking about. I e been reading up on solar for years now and it feels like none of the reading answers any of my questions. So your electric company runs you up a credit account for the power going to them. Then you borrow against that credit for what ever electric you use? 

Is there a reality where the electric company cuts you a check at the end of the month if the electric you provide to them is in excess of what you consume?

I think I have the worst electric company ever. I'm on auto pay. Every month they thank me for my payment. Then a few days later they inform me that they have returned my payment. Then there is some new total due that doesn't make any sense. I check my bank account and no money has been returned. I look back a little further and they never took any money in the first place. My current bill is like $1200 and I can't figure out how to make theses cock suckers just take my money. I'd love to just be done with the whole thing.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

@mr.yuckso the way it works where I live is we pay a flat rate for electricity per kWh, and then you have to also pay for transmission and distribution.

how this should work for me is in my long sun months, I will be exporting onto our grid (which they pay me for at the rate I pay per kWh) and because I’m not importing electricity my trans+dist costs should be heavily reduced.

there is also an incentive for “micro generators” (aka me) where twice a year I can change my electricity rate, so in the long sun months I can swap to an inflated price so that my exported generation is compensated at a higher rate (though I will also have to pay that inflated rate for electricity I import in the evenings) & then when the winter months come back I switch back to my lower rate.  The fed govt also kicked in $5k for me and is hooking up a no interest 10yr loan to pay off the rest of my balance on the cost of install… which should pay for itself with my generation savings.  Hope this made sense. 

another thing to keep in mind is in Canada we are hosed on the cost of a battery, you guys get way better prices there so you could very well explore if a battery system makes more sense for your situation. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

My buddy was using a mental sheer for the past 20 years and it finally got the better of him. 

Doc said he can skin graff back to somewhat normal.

GRAPHIC!!

IMG_20230913_144711.jpg

• Pause 1
  • Truth 1

23 minutes ago, nicklesndimes said:

^^uh...are you ok?  @ndv lol that shit is straight disturbing.

I am good.  Moral of the story is, as a one-man-band business and you have a ton of work to get done, this is when you really have to double check everything and do not let the deadlines get the better of you.   This is when mistakes can happen. 

• Truth 1

Yikes. That's a good chunk he wacked off.

I've met several carpenters over the years that have missing thumbs from being too comfortable with chop saws. Just knocking out repetitive cuts, shooting the shit with some one and then the next thing you know, WHACK. That joint is gone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicklesndimes said:

on a less unsettling note, today i took a nice long walk down to the local hardware store to grab a small length of pull chain.

i always remembered there being a light in our garage, but haven't been able to find a switch(and i've been searching..). then boom, yesterday i was up on a ladder doing something and spotted this small pull chain, and sure enough remembered finally where the light switch was from all those years ago!

16946352577297826520423612723617.jpg.6917300705b2e633e38a302bfd63cbfb.thumb.jpg.14047cc15c6e92791a6044d266bc595c.jpg

it's a small victory, but a game changer for working in the garage when it's dark. b/c the only light source i had at night was the 5 or so minute window the light clicks on when you operate the garage door. so i had to activate the garage door opener when i was working in the garage every 5-10 min no matter where i was in a project. even had the lights turn off numerous times while in the middle of doing important work out there.

game. changer

Good thing lights didn’t go out when you operating the metal sheets….

• Truth 1