5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of...

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as was kill em all. yesterdays was good. i liked illusion 1 better than 2. i think my favorite from it was called sing you along, thats what i have it as on my computer anyway. favorite gnr songs gotta be rocket queen and mr brownstone over all, i guess night train and anything goes and used to love her are up there too.

For me, Metallica has always sucked dick. I guess they were amazing to a lot of people, but whatever made them so fantastic completely flew over my head, and still does. Everyone else on that list is cool.

I think the main reason is the whole faster, louder sound that back in 1980, didn;t even exist back then.

For those of us that weren't around then, it was just cool heavy music. I always liked them for that reason, but I never thought they were as great as everyone else did. Most likely because when I got in to them, it wasn't "new". Plus I always thought Slayer were better...

I can say the same thing for Nirvana. I dug them a lot, but again I never thought they were the greatest band ever like a lot of people did. To me it was just good music, I didn't make the kind of connection that other people did.

yesterday is one of the best songs guns n roses ever wrote, but it's nothing like mr. brownstone or rocket queen. the difference between use your illusions and appetite, is that UYI was polished and produced. they were awesome records, but they werent the same. their wasnt the same raw uglyness to them that appetite had. they were almost an entirely different band in a lot of ways.

metallica...i dont know what to tell you. the first 4 records are amazing. it was music made for a die hard sect of fans with no reguard for money, fame, musical politics or bullshit. no videos, no promotion, just the best metal band the world had ever seen. after they started making videos and getting lazy, it went to shit.

this isnt about bands that were good, this is about bands that defined life for an entire generation of kids.

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

fuck, i gott5a say some ska is tight too. i still like select songs from skankin pickle, specials, mighty bosstones, dance hall crashers and hepcat. a lot of ska is irritating garbage for sure though. op ivy was way more of a punk band with a ska upbeat i'd say.

that shit is barely ska

i also think i'd pick dead prez or kool g rap over pe, i wasn't a big pe fan back in the day. and big trouble in little china burned bill and ted. so did princess bride and dazed and confused.

your just naming things you like, thats not the point. And dead prez isnt even a blink yet, compared to PE.

26SidedCube:

i wasnt suggesting the validity of any random listerners connection to music. I was pointing out the difference between the connections. I would argue the difference lies in the former being a part of a larger experience; being one of many seeing/feeling/representing the same thing/show/music idea/cultural shaping/and other nouns/adverbs, to that of a singular experience thats more personal.

did you ever notice how so many hip hop musicians only really have a few albums in them before they start sucking? look at mobb deep, the infamous will always be classic, last i saw they were with g-unit looking dumb. busta rhymes? L.O.N.S. was the shit, now look at him.

i actually kinda like the new busta...

I never got a chance to see them live, but they (well, Fat Axl and his GNR Karaoke) are coming here in December, and even though it doesn't even come close seeing that classic line up, it's the closest thing I'll ever get to being able to belt out You Could Be Mine and Nightrain, so I feel obliged to go.

I did get the chance to see them ... it was the first concert I went to with out an adult in tow.

I was in 8th grade ... GnR opened for Aerosmith .... I wanted to leave in the middle of Aerosmith ... and I just couldnt understand why more people came late and wanted to see Aerosmoth more than GnR.

That was a good night for me.

Good list Seeking.

I remember wating for the Headbangers Ball to premire the first Metallica video ever, those were some good days.

co-signed in blood. it takes a nation of millions was one of the most incredible albums ever created (regardless of genre), from the prison photo on the cover down to the sirens wailing in every track. if you didn't hear it for the first time in 1988 then you'll never ever understand how powerfull this piece of art was then, and still is now.

how old were when you understood the 'art' of public enemy in 1988, like 10 right? Your alright man, but you do think your top shit if you think you had some amazing personal renaissance from listneing to Public Enemy before you even had pubes

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

I think the main reason is the whole faster, louder sound that back in 1980

I see what you mean. I was a huge fan of rock when I was a kid, but all we got in PR was commercial stuff like Poison and Whitesnake, when I first heard about Metallica ('86, '87?) I had no idea they'd been around for a while. But I was too busy rocking out to "Kickstart my Heart" by Motley Crue (which I believe is the most ass-kickingest song in history, and I share this belief with world famous director Robert Rodriguez, who is awesome) to bother with this "true" style of rock. Interestingly enough, I fucking loved Guns n' Roses.

In PR in the 80's, you were either Rockero (listened to rock) or Cocolo (listened to Salsa and Merengue). I was one of the former. But then came this dude right here, which is probably the most influential artist of my era:

Vico-C.jpg&type=actual

Vico-C, spanish hip hop pioneer and by far the best spanish MC of any era. I began listening to hip hop through this guy, and dancing became a huge part of my life (bboying is some serious shit, however corny it may get). Hip hop flourished in PR because of this guy, went quiet for a minute, and resurfaced into what's now become the reggeaton movement, our own "hip hop" so to speak.

I dunno, just wanted to give out some info on what it was like for me over here. This is an awesome thread, seeks.

experiencing the music does not require belonging to a scene. i've been into "tech genres" (metalcore, grind, metal, etc) for ages. thats the music that drives me. moves me. makes my heart soar and my body quiver, a damn near sexual experience. and i look like a pop-punk kid. the only way i've really ever been a part of "the scene" is by being in bands.

point: seeing a band (esp. seeing a band's first show, first release show, eps lps, etc. final show...) does give you a more complete experience of what its about. some of my favorite bands are bands of my friends. its not that there music is timeless, though for me it probably will be, but about the good times had, the growth witnessed, all of that. someone who picks up that disc later hearing they were a big local band 5, 10 years ago, isn't going to understand how amazing it was that during the last 3 minutes of their final show they were singing creed lyrics instead of their own. knowing that no matter how dark, anti-religion, punk, whatever image the band was ultimately about good times.

at the same time i grew up with slayer, i've yet to see them live. really don't care to at this point, been on them since like 3rd grade watching bmx and mx videos being so into that music on it. hearing it blaring from my brothers' rooms... it introduced me to metal, and i will always love [old] slayer, but if i'd been there for those haunting the chapel shows... damn that energy... i'd have to be a fair amount older for this to be feasible, but it would have changed me.

on a different note, i grew up on weezer, i know every aspect of the first 2 discs. got the singles. was a "fan." and ultimately experienced the utter let down of the green album. kids now finding weezer don't understand that experience. they can't they just DL the entire anthology, and don't like that album as much, they don't understand waiting for 6 years to get that album, and being immediately over it.

i'm pretty sure this didn't make any sense. i love music. it has defined and given me direction for years. and will keep doing so. truth.

Okay... obviously this is an opinion made by Seeking. However, I still have to add my two cents.

Operation Ivy is/was Ska? Get the fuck outta here with that absolute bullshit. Operation Ivy was a bunch of ridiculous crap. Fucking herbs trying to merge Ska and Punk together and failing miserably. Every song just another pile of shit. That band sucked... sorry to say. I would never in my life link them and Ska... never. My opinion. What is th name of that singer guy?... yeah, I remember people comparing him to Sid Vicious back in the 90's. Are ya kidding me? The only thing he deserves to be compared to is the duke I just dropped in the bathroom. And even that doesn't cover it. They sucked, they're name sucked, all their songs sucked and their album cover artwork was inexcusable.

You want to give credit to a Ska band then do it right. Don't fake the funk and give credit to such crap. Desmond Decker would rise up from his grave and eat you.

That said...

Slayer is law.

Bauhaus!!!

Millions of Goth kids cant be wrong.

bauhaus - 1979 to 1983 is so damn good. wouldn't put that up there with the 5 that seeks mentioned though. bad brains can replace operation ivy any day. New Order and Joy Division is much better than bauhaus imo.

i'm not big on op ivy, i really like a lot of RANCID (see first tattoos...) though, so i'll try to defend them in this. i was introduced to op ivy as skacore or skapunk. not 3rd wave. structurally, they definitely have a ska influence. but i agree, TRUE ska and op ivy are on totally different planes. its not about faking the funk, its taking elements and a piece of attitude, and making something else while still respecting where you took it from.

as far as comparing tim armstrong to sid vicious... yeah. there will never be another sid, so its a bad comparison to matter who its made to. tim's work in op ivy and early rancid definitely helped give definition to 90s punk. i'd say significantly. maybe all of that era of punk is/was a joke. epitaph and fat (and a plethora of others...) did put out some awesome records though... whatever

how old were when you understood the 'art' of public enemy in 1988, like 10 right? Your alright man, but you do think your top shit if you think you had some amazing personal renaissance from listneing to Public Enemy before you even had pubes

what's your point? a 10 year old kid can't be blown away by one of the greatest albums of all time? were you even alive then? when you were 10 the fuckin spice girls probably ruled the pop world, so i can't expect you to understand what it was like being introduced to the world of music by one of the most important groups of the last 20 years.

or is it just that you're butthurt that i keep closing all the melbourne threads?

a 10 year old kid in 2006 gets introduced to music by american idol and my chemical romance. i feel sorry for kids these days. i do hold out hope that the state of popular culture these days is so dire that epicness is due to explode in our faces any day now and make us forget the last 5-10 years.

MOZART - DUDE TOTALLY BROUGHT THE NOISE!! EVER WONDER WHERE CRAZY HAIR-METAL GOT THE HAIR PART FROM??? THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!!

PICASSO - MAN IF YOU WEREN'T AROUND WHEN THIS DUDE WAS RIFFING ON THE BLUE PERIOD, THEN YOU WOULDN'T KNOW ART IF IT BIT YOU IN THE TITS!

GEORGE WASHINGTON - THIS DUDE STARTED OUR COUNTRY, NOW ALL THESE POLITICAL SCIENCE MAJOR FAGGOTS ARE JUST TRYING TO RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS BUT THEY'RE JUST FAGS!

THE SIXTIES - I HEART THE 60'S MAN!!! FREE LOVE!!! THESE KIDS TODAY WITH THEIR AIDS AND COUGH SYRUP SPEED...SAD LITTLE PUNKS!!!

JELLYROLL MORTON

If you really want to keep hating on Metallica then go and watch 'Some Kind of Monster' and you might have a different perspective on them.

Doesn't it suck when people view you differently because of success? I mean, granted, their work in the 80s is like their defining work, but hell at least they are going on, not letting a members death stop them in their tracks, as happened to the Gunner's once Axl and Slash went their separate ways.

But anyway, some bands I think people missed out on include:

Sprung Monkey - listen to the album Situation Life. It is killer.

Bad Religion - Had/have more influence on punk than any other band from my generation as Mr Brett OWNS Rancid, NOFX etc, so that in itself should tell you something.

Dream Theater - done more for progressive music than any other band in the past 20 years, adn still go on strong today.

Pantera - I seriously used to think these guys sucked when I was young, but now I listen to them differently as opposed to how I viewed them before.

Van Halen, the original lineup disbanded when I was young, but when I got into listening to them they were in their 3rd incarnation and it was pretty sad that I missed the glory days.

And yeah, fucken Bill and Ted rocked, I knew every line of that movie when I was young. I remember watching the video of it with the opening song 'Breakaway' just fully cranked so the neighbours complained. Fucken awesome.

it seems like everyone is going back to their rock roots,

but at the same time that was going on (more or less)

I was playing this tape untill it wore out:

peoplestravels_buy_mini.jpg

A friend of my Dad's used to write reviews for BMG music and I'd get

all the leftover music sent my way once the review was written.

Somehow I got this album before it came out (which was 1990)

and it just clicked. I didn't know at the time how big the Native Tounges

would get, but this was a serious 'musical defining moment' for me.

I would have been 11 years old.

bonus: Page4