5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of...

seeking

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

We have a local skinhead chap around here, but last time I saw one they went from Trad Skinhead dress to wearing Basketball jerseys and dunks like its 90's hardcore.

:nope:

Kids today, forgetting its about the idea and not fashion :nope:

those are posers... your in miami..heads just wanna be down..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Re: 5 groups that you probably missed, and your life will never be the same becase of

those are posers... your in miami..heads just wanna be down..

You tell that to the Black Mouth Piece Mafia and there leader DIABLO :D

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Sometimes I wish I was older so I could of been around to see some of the OBHC guys do all the funny stuff my cousin always talked about them doing. He was like one of the original members and stuff. But lots of drunken beatdowns and real Oakland Hard Core and what not. Sounds interesting.

But then he died from drugs :(.

EastBay is right EBHC was a major force in teh punk rock..

until they went gay....

AFI :nope:

Greenday :nope:

Rancid :nope:

All the Fat Records Dudes :nope:

RIP Eastbay Hardcore

so by 'experiencing' groups do you mean playing in them (which I think is the only way anyone ever has a right to feel entitled 'ownership' over any music) or do you mean by going to shows and shit? because it's sorta short-sighted to say that the only way music can really mean something to someone is if they were a part of a 'scene'.

Just for the sake of example: I'll bet B.B. King's records mean just as much to the poor kid in Antiqua who sat around listening to them day in and day out as they do the working-class kid in Manhattan who was able to catch his every performance - and I'll bet B.B. King doesn't feel that Alex Showgoer is any more entitled to his music than Juanny Fortyfive - so why are people other than the creators of the music always trying to take ownership over shit that wasn't theirs to begin with?

I'm not saying that's what you were saying, I'm just saying.

to me the diffference is subtle but significant. Catching something on its first wave when its new and having, it effect your life, as it touches all the lives around you is a bit different that experiecning it completely divorced from its original context and intent.

When i was in africa, i hung with htese dudes completely into us hip-hop albeit the shit they thought was hop was only what had managed to filter into their sphere of reference, and hence whwt they liked about it was what they saw it stand for which was AMERICA. they liked it casue they heard it was popular in the states. Now thats not to discount their appreciation og the music but it does speak to the idea that their experience is different and removed, not less valid but certainly different.

JUANY 45 only knows hes down for the sound, but has not the clue the of the social impact of the music on its producing culture.

my example might be BOB or Jimi, i know their music i love their music, but i experienced it after its first impact, thus i had previous experience with it by way of its seapage into the mainstream conscience; via advertising or otherwise sampled means. In addition it was their music was surrounded by the ensuing mythology produced by its original wave of exposure.

anyway those are my poorly spelled thoughts on it.

When i was in africa, i hung with htese dudes completely into us hip-hop albeit the shit they thought was hop was only what had managed to filter into their sphere of reference, and hence whwt they liked about it was what they saw it stand for which was AMERICA. they liked it casue they heard it was popular in the states. Now thats not to discount their appreciation og the music but it does speak to the idea that their experience is different and removed, not less valid but certainly different.

JUANY 45 only knows hes down for the sound, but has not the clue the of the social impact of the music on its producing culture.

Well, as far as the Africa thing goes: I guess I was speaking in a different context (which is why I used B.B. King instead of some hip-hop group - it seems a little less flaky and I meant to remove the contemporary-pop-culture aspect of it).

What you're talking about would be like an American appropriating some aspect of European culture because 'That's how they do it in Europe and I think it's a neat little change from my day-to-day!', meanwhile they don't understand how or why said 'aspect' came to be. I'm not talking about looking at it like that; I'm also not saying those people are any less entitled to the music than, say, Juanny.

The situation that I was trying to throw out there was basically some kid finding his uncle's old records in his grandfather's basement and, out of lack of access to other music or genuine interest, listen to those records day in and day out until they eventually become the music that shapes his or her life.

No, Juan doesn't understand the 'social impact' those records had on the culture they were released into, or shaped by, but he does understand (and live) the impact those records had on his interaction with his environment, be it social or isolated, and the times he spent with those around him - for that reason alone I'd say his 'experience' with the music is just as valid as anyone else's.

After all, not everyone is offered the luxury of being there for the 'first wake' of everything.. that doesn't mean those who were there should go around shitting on people because they weren't lucky enough to be born at the right time - that just tells me that you care more asserting some type of gay-ass 'scene-dominance' than you do about the actual music, which, in short, just means your heart pumps grape juice.

At least that's how I see it.

my intent was not to shit on anyone or claim scene dominance, but just to point out the fact that those groups were great and it's unfortunate that there are not really any contemporary groups that are filling their shoes. no matter how much you like public enemy now, if you were at the shows back in the day, and felt the social presence of an entire arena of people all bent on smashing whitey, then you can't comprehend the feeling.

a very obvious parallel would be subway graffiti of the 70's and 80's. i dont care how hard you bomb now, how many clean trains you do, it will never compare to seeing an entire system smashed, and know that you're living history in the making.

oh, so you were around in the early 70's and going to stevie wonder shows when he became popular?

i think you people are missing the point of this thread. you can add the beatles and sabbath and whoever you want to the list, but there's not a person on here who experienced them the first time around.

fuck, i gott5a say some ska is tight too. i still like select songs from skankin pickle, specials, mighty bosstones, dance hall crashers and hepcat. a lot of ska is irritating garbage for sure though. op ivy was way more of a punk band with a ska upbeat i'd say.

gotta say i only agree with Op Ivy and slayer, there's others you should have included:

Dead Milkmen

Fugazi

Masta Ace

The Vindictives

Leonard Cohen

Naked Raygun

Dead Kennidies

Pigfase

wait a second - you'll take PE out of the list, and replace them with masta ace? are you smoking crack?

it doesn't have to be a music scene to be an interesting 'first experience'.

Take for example snowboarding. When I first started riding the only real 'pro'

was Craig Kelly (rip) and most hills wouldn't allow boarders to ride with skiiers.

Funny how that's all changed. Now to wrap it back up....

Just because someone was doing something (snowboarding, painting in the 70's etc...) first,

it doesn't mean that the experience wont be as exciting for someone who picked it up later.

now somehow that must tie back to GNR.

like i said, i'm very selective about the ska i keep on my computewr. ska is shitty music. there just happens to be about 15 or so ska songs that i think are good. yeah, and i interpreted it like rum, those shits changed my life. so did rick james, de la soul, curtis mayfield, bob dylan, gfe, marvin gaye, primus, janes addiction, the who, the doors, johnny caSH..................shit, the list goes on and on for days

here's something that I've been thinking about:

I think that unless you've waited for the new album to come out,

you didn't really get to know the band. Sure the Beatles can be

a big musical influence for you, but if their entire collection was

finished before you even started listening to them, then you dont

have the same appreciation that a fan from the start would have.

I remeber beign a big Sonic Youth fan and being really dissapointed

with the album that came out after 'Dirty'. Sometimes you have to

stick by the band when their latest work was crappy to be a real fan.

When I was a wee lad, after Use Your Illusion came out, I literally listened to nothing but Guns N Roses for a period of, oh, probably more than 2 years. And when I say nothing else, I mean NOTHING else. Think about that. I wore out all of my tapes, I had to buy Use Your Illusion II three times (well technically twice since I stole it from my friend the first time). I knew every word, every riff, every drum beat, everything about every song. Even the shitty ones like Yesterdays and Bad Apples. Even when I grew up, and realized there was a whole universe of other music out there, I can still put on the albums after years of not listening to them and still recite every song. Before GNR, the most bad-ass thing I listened to was Aerosmith, and after GNR, I realized how badly Aerosmith suck. They opened my eyes to how cool and kick-ass music can be. Coma was the first 10 minute plus song I had ever heard, and I thought it was epic. They helped shape me as a person, had I been a huge Midnight Oil or Billy Joel fan, I probably would have turned out a lot different.

I never got a chance to see them live, but they (well, Fat Axl and his GNR Karaoke) are coming here in December, and even though it doesn't even come close seeing that classic line up, it's the closest thing I'll ever get to being able to belt out You Could Be Mine and Nightrain, so I feel obliged to go.

Even the shitty ones like Yesterdays and Bad Apples.

Yesterday wasn't a bad song. I think it was one of the best of their newer, shitty songs.

still doesn't coem close to nighttrain.

hey rueben... you get my 'ON THE SKIDZ' mix? check the mixtrader thread. all hair metal!

Yesterday wasn't a bad song. I think it was one of the best of their newer, shitty songs.

still doesn't coem close to nighttrain.

hey rueben... you get my 'ON THE SKIDZ' mix? check the mixtrader thread. all hair metal!

Haha I'm on it...