I wanna see your...........PETS!

Zack Morris

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

you need to get that dog spayed

it doesn't change them

considering all the goddamn rescue work i do, all work others are desperately trying to do, the needy dogs i see, it is incredibly selfish and lame of people not to neuter and spay their dogs imo..

and see, my neighbor wouldn't neuter his dog, said he wasn't planning on breeding him. yet whose fucking dog gets another pregnant one day? it only took about 1 second.

/end rant

this is my newest dog, a shelter pet of course.

IMG_8384.jpg

my mabel changed a bunch when she got spayed.

she went to loving everyone no matter who to being scared of everyone except me and wife, and people she sees almost every day, esp scared of children. she is scared to the point that when my friends come over she runs up stair and hides under the bed til they leave. even if they offer treats.

i wish i could undo it...

yeah i should probably do more research as my life is about to change a whole lot and she's coming with me.

its less of a problem in public, at home is when its the worst. last night 4 friends came over and she ran outside and hid under the patio furniture and would not come back in, i had to pick her up and carry her inside...

ugh. that sucks for her and you

i guess talk to her vet, and think desensitization, repeated exposure with calm reinforcement

i dunno if that will help

how is she with a crate? that might help.

i hate to say it but maybe something traumatic happened during the spay? that is pretty severe.

and the last resort, you can drug her.

if you know people are coming over, give her some melatonin.

it's herbal, and it might really help a lot

when we go on vacation my dog sitter gives my pup melatonin and it really helps her with the separation

the stronger drug you can try to calm her is benadryl.

then there are anti-anxieties she could be prescribed if you cannot train her out of it with assistance from melatonin.

• Like 1

yeah sounds like you need to call in a dog trainer and get repeated positive exposure from strangers

friends offering treats i think is a good first step like you mentioned.

try something of higher value than normal treats. like boiled chicken livers or various other gross organ meat. make it irresistible to the dog. and it may take ALOT of repetition.

a dog class once a week would probably help as well

• Like 2

^word. good advice

i was watching a dog trainer the other day, they were using deli meats to break a dog of it's habit of going insane when it's owners got near a door. very true that regular dog treats aren't going to overpower the fear/anxiety

naturally this also required two people.

thanks.

yeah i think the spay was particularly traumatic. she isn't very receptive to pills--the stuff they gave us to keep her calm after the spay so she wouldn't tear anything loose did almost nothing. so my theory is that she wasn't 'under' all the way and was at least part awake for the operation. the change in behavior was immediate though. on sunday she loved my niece and in laws, on tuesday post op she was growling at my niece and hiding from the in laws.

i give her melatonin sometimes for long car rides, i never thought about it for the people thing, will try. i think i'll try that pet calm stuff too.

i talked to her vet about it, and he says that sometimes thats just what happens after a spay, he also said that vizslas tend to be more antsy like that, which i don't really buy because they're gun dogs... as i start putting my life back together i'll have a better opportunity to focus on her.

edit: to the gun dog element--before spay she was a little nervous about noise but i could shoot with her there and she was okay as long as i was, but post spay she jumps into my pickup and hides and quivers until i'm done. (so i don't take her shooting... maybe i will once i get petcalm in her life)

Re: I wanna see your...........PETS!

Haven't posted my furry headache in a while.

JwxUul.jpg

Bed Framed, is he a rat terrier? I just lost my beloved Hachi last year who was the best dog ever. Was part rat terrier part... i think Chihuahua. He looked exactly like your dog, but a mini version. I never confirmed his breed (got him for christmas) and his vet said he looked only part rat terrier. I've been searching for months trying to find a similar breed but with no real luck.

my experience with vets hasnt always been so great. one vet cleaned my dogs ears really really aggressively (first and last time I went there) and now he wont let a vet near him i have to muzzle him and put the leash in a gauntlet with a chokehold for his yearly shots now because of it. my older dog had to get a tumor removed. he quoted me $600 for tumor removal and neutering. I got an itemized bill that said 300 for the neuter 200 for tumor removal and 100 for pills. when i opted for just the tumor removal and pills fucker still charged me 600. said growth was bigger than he thought. they can be scumbags sometimes. then when i came to pick him up he was in the kennel still muzzled. i was pissed. he isnt human aggressive. he just doesnt want vets fucking with him. basically find a good vet and stick with them. i havent found one in my area that i love yet,

I haven't posted here in a long time but I thought I'd share this. Both my dogs got sprayed by a skunk today and fuuuucking stuuuunk!

I mixed 1 quart hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda and a squirt of dish soap, scrubed it in good then gave them a bath with there regular shampoo and it got rid of the smell completely.

best of luck fist. sounds like you care a lot so i'd bet you can fix this.

channel the dog whisperer

serum you are right on with that

i love my vet and we are so lucky to have him. i've brought him a lot of business.

we send him and his staff holiday cards. he saved my sweetie's life and it was only 800 (emergency surgery, x-rays, IV, meds and hospital stay, plus free follow up)

thanks ruso, hopefully i'll never need that

hydrogen peroxide is amazing, gets blood out (as long as you don't treat it first with somethin else)

baby hachi:

180324_1768112413038_2187446_n.jpg

dee i don't know how i missed this but he looks like a jack russel

pup4b.JPG.w300h260.jpg

2008050830060_5.jpg_w450.jpg

spunky, fun, saucy dogs with lots of personality and a good dose of energy

love love love to chase small animals

• 2 weeks later...

Bed Framed, is he a rat terrier? I just lost my beloved Hachi last year who was the best dog ever. Was part rat terrier part... i think Chihuahua. He looked exactly like your dog, but a mini version. I never confirmed his breed (got him for christmas) and his vet said he looked only part rat terrier. I've been searching for months trying to find a similar breed but with no real luck.

I have no idea what a rat terrier is but I think she's a jack russell. She was abandoned in VA with her whole family left on the side of the road. One of my brothers friends found her with a pitbull and Jack russell which we are assuming are her mother and father. The jack russell was the father. There was a whole litter of abandoned puppies so we decided to adopt her and the rest of the litter went to good homes. Not sure what happened to the mother and father.

• 2 weeks later...