Kanye West

sect one

Originally posted by Biggus Dickus@Sep 5 2005, 05:48 PM

Shai, I'm not going to rip on you too much since you seem to actually have a point, but please capitalize your sentences.  Shit gets really hard to read if you don't.

Yeah, you're right. I'm a terrible typist, though. I'll do my best from here on out. Plus, I mumble in real life a lot, too.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Tough Love@Sep 5 2005, 05:50 PM

dont you guys get it? being hip, rebelious and edgy is all the rage these days. I honestly think hes doing this shit for publicity and to be "real" to his fans. WTF does he know about being poor and having his home destroyed by anything. Gimme a fucking break. Hes about as real as britney spears

He didn't seem to be faking it. I'm sure everyone would agree with you that exploiting a tragedy is wrong, but I think he was being sincere. That's just me, though.

Originally posted by fatalist@Sep 5 2005, 02:54 PM

I have always been told that this country is the land of the free, yet when someone says something that isn't potically correct or goes against the grain he's either "UnAmerican" or "a raging athiest"

I guess you would just rather him conform to America's idea of what is right and wrong. I may not completely agree with what he said but I applaud his courage to be heard. That is the problem with America right now everyone is too comfortable and afraid to speak out. He is our President but probably not by Kanye's choice (or mine for that matter). Just because he is our president doesn't mean he shouldn't be ridiculed. That's like saying Nixon did nothing wrong. Or the Enron employees shouldn't ridicule Kenneth Lay because he was the president/CEO of Enron. Everyone is subject to ridicule in this country.

Kanye did nothing wrong. He expressed his freedom granted to him by the AMERICAN constitution.

Where did someone call him "UnAmerican" or "a raging athiest"?

First of all, yes, America grants people the freedom of speech. Which is why big Kanye didn't get hauled off to prison directly afterwards. And the reason some people might be a bit upset about his remarks because what he did was very selfish and childish. He used his position for self gain, and in the process alienated the "I'm so glad I voted for Bush" chevy pickup driving white America demographic, that might have otherwise been more inclined to donate money to that specific charity at that time.

There is a time and place for everything. In the middle of what was going on a few days ago, I think saving people's lives is(was) a tad more important than some overpaid, talentless shitbag's political agenda. For example, if someone got hit by a train and was on the brink of death, would you rather the EMT's argue how to go about saving him or just do it?

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001+Sep 5 2005, 08:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stereotype V.001 - Sep 5 2005, 08:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fatalist@Sep 5 2005, 02:54 PM

I have always been told that this country is the land of the free, yet when someone says something that isn't potically correct or goes against the grain he's either "UnAmerican" or "a raging athiest"

I guess you would just rather him conform to America's idea of what is right and wrong. I may not completely agree with what he said but I applaud his courage to be heard. That is the problem with America right now everyone is too comfortable and afraid to speak out. He is our President but probably not by Kanye's choice (or mine for that matter). Just because he is our president doesn't mean he shouldn't be ridiculed. That's like saying Nixon did nothing wrong. Or the Enron employees shouldn't ridicule Kenneth Lay because he was the president/CEO of Enron. Everyone is subject to ridicule in this country.

Kanye did nothing wrong. He expressed his freedom granted to him by the AMERICAN constitution.

Where did someone call him "UnAmerican" or "a raging athiest"?

First of all, yes, America grants people the freedom of speech. Which is why big Kanye didn't get hauled off to prison directly afterwards. And the reason some people might be a bit upset about his remarks because what he did was very selfish and childish. He used his position for self gain, and in the process alienated the "I'm so glad I voted for Bush" chevy pickup driving white America demographic, that might have otherwise been more inclined to donate money to that specific charity at that time.

There is a time and place for everything. In the middle of what was going on a few days ago, I think saving people's lives is(was) a tad more important than some overpaid, talentless shitbag's political agenda. For example, if someone got hit by a train and was on the brink of death, would you rather the EMT's argue how to go about saving him or just do it?

[/b]

If he's as dumb and childish as you say, then how is saying what everyone is thing going to further his political agenda? And, he said he was going to donate money to help people...his being overpaid in this case is fine with me. He'll send more than I did. That shows me he's not selfish. His talent is a moot point. And, the last time I checked, Fox News wasn't busting his balls. They were too busy telling the story, and for a change, doing it without sounding like cheerleadrs for Bush- they're pissed at him, too. Sure, some conservatives are going to hang him out to dry, but like you said, it's a free country, more or less. Let them say dumb things about him, and then they'll just be as dumb as they say he is.

The reason aid took too long to get to NOLA is exactly due to what you said though- too many chiefs, and not enough indians. And, people are dying because of it, and it breaks my heart.

Are you down there saving people's lives? If so, then I applaud you. Otherwise, he did what he could at the time with the resources he had. I'm doing what I can, and so is everyone else who wants to get involved. You should do the same, and not worry about red herrings since it gets us further away from the truth. I've read a lot of what you've posted, and it's clear to me that you're intelligent and can read between the lines. I thought I should point that out, as well.

I don't know how many people realize how much that the blinders are off, now. This administration has clearly shown us their hand. They don't care about much beyond the bottom line. And, for them to take action five days after a hurricane is simply criminal negligence.

Originally posted by Tough Love@Sep 5 2005, 09:44 PM

sorry, but im always hard sold on millionaire celebrities who think that because they sing they can just jump on any old popular band wagon they want and be accepted as "real" and sincere

maybe im wrong

Generally, I'd agree with you just not in his case. Let's see what he does from here on out, though, and that will tell us more than what he said in the heat of the moment.

On another note, Miss Jones on 97.1 this morning say that the hurricane was a calculated GENOCIDE by the US Government?

Are you fucking kidding me? So apparently the fucking 3 days of warning wasnt enough for the black community to evacuate their homes?

The media dosent have to portray the situation as black people looting, thats how it is. I bet white people are doing it, but not for hundreds of dollars worth of shoes and tons of bottles of beer. I doubt the media is out there to do that, thats bullshit, because people in the media are black.

Anyone in poverty, its their own fault

And yes, homeless poeple, it is their fault, maybe not the fact that they got homeless, but the way they stay homeless, thats poverty to me.

why steal a tv for a house that has no power and has water to the roof?

you guys are saying they are leaving everyone there to die when in actuality half of them dont even want to leave.

you should have a plan that involves your survival. this could include a boat. this could include taking a vacation when the weather channel there's a possibility of flooding there.

do you really understand how easy that would be?

"surviving" anywhere in American isn't hard.

But if you live down there, and you dont have a car, one of your friends does, or a friend of a friend, or a co worker, these people didnt want to leave

Dont you people know that the white male is the only person who does not have a law to help them out in society? I, as a white male, have less of a chance at a job than any colored person goddamn,

Man, people spend mad hours on here creating an e-character that portrays them as down, streetsmart, etc., and in the course of one thread, nullify it all and make themselves look like they've never even taken a day trip to the real world. These comments illustrate exactly how fucking institutionalized racism/ classism (which are permanently bound together) are in this country. The upper middle class is full of people who think they identify with (and for irony's sake, embrace or emulate) the poor, when in actuality they have NO IDEA of what it means to be down and out. Motherfuckers who need to steal mad sugar packets from Dunkin Donuts so they can make it seem like they're drinking kool aid instead of tap water for once, or who actually have to go fishing for dinner every day because they can't afford to buy spam, are not thinking about how they should buy a fucking boat just in case the government is not keeping up with the maintenance on the dams that keep their city from being washed away. Nor are they stealing a sixty inch plasma so they can watch the WB in hi definition. And I seriously doubt there is a single person left in New Orleans that doesn't want to leave right now.

Also, you think when it comes down to a survival situation you're cramming every "friend of a friend" in your car? I'm sorry, but that's not realistic. Going on vacation every time there might be a fucking hurricane? Nope, I'm not even that poor, and that's not an option for me. If it is for you, and you assume that it is for everyone, I apologise, you're clearly not equipped for this debate.

And finally, there's no laws to help out white people in society because they don't fucking need them. What the fuck job do you think that you have less of a chance at getting than a "colored" person?

I'm not trying to beef with anyone personally, and I'm not making any assumptions that everyone saying these things are priveleged suburban white kids, but it's obvious that people have inherited some serious prejudices and a blind eye. I'm just surprised to hear this kind of shit from people who I have previously respected the opinions of.

I dont really care if some people take this the wrong way, but some of you have the dumbest fuckin comments i've ever heard... ever. It's always gotta turn into "the white man tryin to get the black people down".. always. Someone always has to make it a race issue. Reading some of the responses in this thread ALONE makes me never want to come back to 12oz again and try to hold any type of discussion. It's like trying to talk to a brick wall..

Like i said before. I dont care if you agree with me.. If i get banned for voiceing an opinion and sounding like a racisit biggot, i apologize to the people who run this site, no disrespect towards any of you. I'm done for good reading this garbage ass thread. Someone should do us all a favor and close it.

Originally posted by ^ . ^@Sep 5 2005, 10:17 PM

I dont really care if some people take this the wrong way, but some of you have the dumbest fuckin comments i've ever heard... ever. It's always gotta turn into "the white man tryin to get the black people down".. always. Someone always has to make it a race issue. Reading some of the responses in this thread ALONE makes me never want to come back to 12oz again and try to hold any type of discussion. It's like trying to talk to a brick wall..

Like i said before. I dont care if you agree with me.. If i get banned for voiceing an opinion and sounding like a racisit biggot, i apologize to the people who run this site, no disrespect towards any of you. I'm done for good reading this garbage ass thread. Someone should do us all a favor and close it.

This is the last post I'll put here.

Normally, I would agree that anyone who says that The Man keeps them down haven't hit rock bottom yet, or don't have the initiative to get themselves out of whatever plight they're in. And, the people who act as apologists for them don't help much, either.

But, this isn't a race issue, it's a class issue. Remember when Emperor Nero fiddled whle Rome burned? Well, Bush was playing the guitar while NOLA drowned. If you want to find out more about this, read "The Redneck Manifesto" by Jim Goad. He summed it up rather well, I think.

There's a lot of intelligent points along with some remarkably stupid ones here, just like anywhere else on 12 oz. You can take them or leave them as you wish.

I think the point has been made, but if people want to talk about this here, then there's nothing to be gained by censoring them.

Thank you.

Originally posted by shai hulud@Sep 6 2005, 06:04 AM

But, this isn't a race issue, it's a class issue. Remember when Emperor Nero fiddled whle Rome burned? Well, Bush was playing the guitar while NOLA drowned.

Fucking A. This country ignores the class problem. It's the white elephant in the middle of the room that no one sees.

one thing i hate about making points on this website is people argue moot points with you. i know no one can take a vacation every time theres a report of a hurricaine, i was just throwing ideas that popped into my head as soon as they came so i could continue with parts of my argument that actually matter.

*edit - dont type when you are tired.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Sep 5 2005, 11:39 PM

It would have been cooler if he said "Bush doesn't like poor people".

Okay, I lied...I can't stop...yeah, then he'd be speaking for me, too. But, I get where he's coming from. If Condoleeza Rice was stuck in NOLA, Bush would have sent for her. Instead, she was.... SHOPPING FOR SHOES. The shop owner told her what was going on in NOLA, then kicked her out of the store. Hooray for him.

Originally posted by shai hulud+Sep 6 2005, 08:29 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shai hulud - Sep 6 2005, 08:29 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Sep 5 2005, 11:39 PM

It would have been cooler if he said "Bush doesn't like poor people".

Instead, she was.... SHOPPING FOR SHOES. The shop owner told her what was going on in NOLA, then kicked her out of the store. Hooray for him.

[/b]

i read she was shoe shopping, but nothing about her getting booted (pun intended). where did you find that info? mad funny.

Shai- I'm saying he's selfish because he alienated the pro-Bush people with his comments. They are people that have money and there are alot of them, and after seeing someone say comments like that they are more likely to turn off the TV than phone in with some money. Kanye was jumping on a bandwagon, it wasn't the right time for him to do it and people may have died because of his actions. Also, going shopping when he originally heard about it isn't exactly the epitome of a selfless act.

Originally posted by harvey wallbanger@Sep 6 2005, 01:08 AM

Man, people spend mad hours on here creating an e-character that portrays them as down, streetsmart, etc., and in the course of one thread, nullify it all and make themselves look like they've never even taken a day trip to the real world. These comments illustrate exactly how fucking institutionalized racism/ classism (which are permanently bound together) are in this country. The upper middle class is full of people who think they identify with (and for irony's sake, embrace or emulate) the poor, when in actuality they have NO IDEA of what it means to be down and out. Motherfuckers who need to steal mad sugar packets from Dunkin Donuts so they can make it seem like they're drinking kool aid instead of tap water for once, or who actually have to go fishing for dinner every day because they can't afford to buy spam, are not thinking about how they should buy a fucking boat just in case the government is not keeping up with the maintenance on the dams that keep their city from being washed away. Nor are they stealing a sixty inch plasma so they can watch the WB in hi definition. And I seriously doubt there is a single person left in New Orleans that doesn't want to leave right now.

Also, you think when it comes down to a survival situation you're cramming every "friend of a friend" in your car? I'm sorry, but that's not realistic. Going on vacation every time there might be a fucking hurricane? Nope, I'm not even that poor, and that's not an option for me. If it is for you, and you assume that it is for everyone, I apologise, you're clearly not equipped for this debate.

And finally, there's no laws to help out white people in society because they don't fucking need them. What the fuck job do you think that you have less of a chance at getting than a "colored" person?

I'm not trying to beef with anyone personally, and I'm not making any assumptions that everyone saying these things are priveleged suburban white kids, but it's obvious that people have inherited some serious prejudices and a blind eye. I'm just surprised to hear this kind of shit from people who I have previously respected the opinions of.

Yea, you know all about livin in the streets mang. Stealin sugar packets from dunkin donuts, goin fishing for food, life is hard when the honkeys is holdin you back. But for someone so down on their luck, it strikes me as odd that you have a computer...unless of course your just talking out of your ass. Naaaah couldn't be.

10 to 1 this kid is a 27 year old grad student who wears a scarf and smokes "American spirit" cigarettes. Your really looking out for the opressed, keep on keepin on my yuppy soul brotha.

"What the fuck job do you think that you have less of a chance at getting than a "colored" person?"

Affirmative action, anybody? Sounds like a field trip to the real world is in order.

alot of hard shit talking in here, from people that cant even imagine having what little they have in this world washed away from them .

this guy kanye was wrong, bush doesnt care about poor americans as a whole!But i feel what he was trying to say, you can tell he was nervous as hell and emotional, under those circumstances we arent always as well spoken as we would like to be.

[/i]

<center>watch through the end. dont turn it off! see it through to the end!

<CENTER><embed allowScriptAccess="never"SRC="http://www.michaelmoore.com/_images/splash/aaron_broussard.mov" width=240 height=196 autoplay=true PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download">

</EMBED>

Originally posted by Stereotype V.001@Sep 6 2005, 01:26 PM

Shai- I'm saying he's selfish because he alienated the pro-Bush people with his comments. They are people that have money and there are alot of them, and after seeing someone say comments like that they are more likely to turn off the TV than phone in with some money. Kanye was jumping on a bandwagon, it wasn't the right time for him to do it and people may have died because of his actions. Also, going shopping when he originally heard about it isn't exactly the epitome of a selfless act.

You're right, but it's the people who have a conscience and DID send in whatever they could that matter. The reactionaries will always change the channel, since you can't shame the shameless.

And, he realized he was doing the wrong thing by shopping and got on the phone to his people, and admitted it on TV. Better late than never.

Hey, Tony, I want to see that video but I got a broken link...where's it from?