The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I think you might be thinking of wax-wood.

Not the same thing.

Yeah, i think the Powell slick thing was different. I remember skating those Powell blanks for years. It was usually a blue stained one.

3. Those things were so heavy and overpriced. I remember then being upwards of $60 at a time when the average deck was around $45. Some companies would replace the 7th ply with the slickbottom nylon, to save weight, which just made your board that much easier to break. I was probably under 90lbs at the time and had a World Industries Jovantae Turner board and cracked it. I was happy to see that fad go. Just my opinion.

It's designed to smooth out finished concrete. It takes about 30 min to smooth out a good sized chunk of ledge enough to where it's good to skate. Keep going, and you can get the concrete smooth enough to where it gets sketchy when you wax it.

Weird, they were usually only 5 bucks more than the normal decks at my local shop and I dont remember them being much heavier, although i rode some pretty wack setups back then. And yeah, I've used those concrete stone things before, but I definitely didnt know about them in 91.

This "occupy" thing seems to have had good intentions for the first week, but (at least here in Denver) has turned into an impromptu hippie commune. The only kids left are the ones that would otherwise be following a jam band if some other cause wasn't available.

Back in my old guy days, the slick board referred to a regular board with an additional laminate of some plastic material as the bottom ply. It didn't take long for companies like World to realize they could save money by eliminating the 7th ply in favor of the slick layer. I suppose it marginally decreased friction, but you still couldn't really skate curbs and ledges you normally wouldn't be able to. After 1995, I came to the conclusion that gimmicks were gimmicks, and if you couldn't do it with a standard wooden board, you should go faster or practice more.

ps... The other thing we'd do is go to the local scrap metal yard and recover a long enough piece of angle iron for about $10. You can affix that to basically anything with a couple tubes of Liquid Nails. If you want something more permanent, all you need is a cordless drill, a masonry bit of the proper size, and some cheap concrete anchors and bolts from Home Depot. Never skate a broken, cracked curb again.

ps... The other thing we'd do is go to the local scrap metal yard and recover a long enough piece of angle iron for about $10. You can affix that to basically anything with a couple tubes of Liquid Nails. If you want something more permanent, all you need is a cordless drill, a masonry bit of the proper size, and some cheap concrete anchors and bolts from Home Depot. Never skate a broken, cracked curb again.

In my experience, shoe goo or "goop" actually works a lot better than liquid nails.

For those who don't have the means of bolting the shit down.

fuck son. get well.

also

SPYD IS BLACK???!!!

the shitty part is, I was fine. Head didnt hurt more than a slight headache, eye didnt hurt. I could have gone home that same day, but they made me stay for "observation" for two days and now I have like $20k in hospital bills. Good luck to them trying to get that money

the shitty part is, I was fine. Head didnt hurt more than a slight headache, eye didnt hurt. I could have gone home that same day, but they made me stay for "observation" for two days and now I have like $20k in hospital bills. Good luck to them trying to get that money

fuck paying ALL hospital bills! real talk. even with health insurance they stilllll fuck you.

They bamboozled you.

I've looked worse than that and just went home and taped the shit with medical tape.

Chicks dig scars.