Why do so many black people give their kids such stupid names?

Rodney Trotter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pilau Hands

first day of class in african american literature, we tried to define "african american". i don't think we got it. the professor played devil's advocate and it was a pretty fun exercise.

and the only ethiopian women i've ever met have all been gorgeous. somethin in that food.

ive always found it hillarious that black folks can refer to any white person by their color, and its accepted by absolutely everyone, but some black folks get offended when you say shit like 'black folks'. that shit is dumb. you're black, i'm white, hispanics are mexican, i love emo girls.

end of story.

mizzafly whatever, wheres my god damn picture?

• 1 year later...

let me just say this. the individuals that actually have to TRY and intergrate into the modern day workforce by disspelling the wonderful sterotypes that have been set in place for us, do have to work harder. in a world where a 60yr old woman can say "are you sure your black, you dont act like it" (as if intellect and education are "reserved") all because some asshat can turn on chappelle, have a good laugh, go out and say what up my nigga, and safely return to his couch with a renewed sense of "brotha-hood". fuck that. ive been called out to my face, but never have i once pulled the race card. and i know damn well its an issue, so im not living in some candy land fantasy. the shit that pisses me off is that it still remains an issue, and its 2006 b! WHERE'S MY DAMN AUTO-LACE DUNKS AND MY BAPESTA HOVERBOARD? :chicken:

there is far too much to touch on

ill just give u this. i have a rather unusual name, and im white. the only thing i find hard is introducing myself to knew ppl because i gotta pronounce my name a million times to them. people have made fun of me for my name, but i usually tell them to fuck off or make fun of them back, which more often then not shuts them up. its very annoying and childish. it still happens now but very seldom, because i guess people are more mature with age. but i tell ya, having aunique name in a country that wasnt urs is hard when ur a kid. i woulda given anything to have a name that fit in more. now adays i dont mind it too much. its still kinda tough when i gotta talk to ppl about jobs tho, cuz i gotta introduce myself and tell em my wierd ass name, but they can go fuckthemselves if they wanna hate.

A name is definately a representation of who you are. For sure if you name your daughter "Laqueeta" She's probably going to be stereotyped as a ghetto bird her whole life, no doubt, It's not right , but neither are the circumstances most of us live in. My family and I all have strange names, Dawood, Aisha, Sulayman, Ibrahim, and Ayyub. Those are actually common names in our social circles, but in public people don't even know how to pronounce them.

A name should have meaning , or It should be the name of a respectable person who's characteristics you would like to teach your children. I don;t agree with keeping your name sounding white so they can get a good job when they grow up. I , mean, if youre white be white, If youre black , be black , no problem, just be respectable and upright and it will show. Naming your child Moet or Gucci is not the move though. A lot of people Don't realize that many common "black" names are actually arabic names like Malik, Latifah, Omar, Ali, Muhammad, Tariq, Aisha, etc.

Guest Sparoism

I have a common first name in the short form, but my full first name has the Dutch spelling...so when I to go apply for jobs, I'll get some ignoramuses who'd spell it the English way and I'll have to say, "No, I did NOT spell my name wrong, you did...all these forms have to be changed now," and one guy...my state ID, birth certificate and Social Security card all have my full name on them, and he said, "So should I call you that? I mean, how do you SAY that?"

I grabbed all the forms with my name on them, tore them up, and threw them in the trash, and said, "You know what? Fuck this, and fuck you too. If this is what I can expect from you as an employer, I'll pass." And, I got a different job a week later for more money...and my name never even came up.

He was stunned...oh yeah, he was Chinese, and I'm white.

So "asshole" REALLY is a rainbow word, I found out.

Guest Sparoism

Is it? I don't know...let's go do the AC Transit dance....where was that?

I'm waiting on my new ID right now. I look old enough so I don't need it to buy boozahol....thank Jehovah God for that. And the full beard.

Originally posted by Dawood@Jan 4 2006, 11:46 PM

. For sure if you name your daughter "Laqueeta" She's probably going to be stereotyped as a ghetto bird her whole life, no doubt

The problem is, Laqueeta will most likely reflect the stereotype because she's with the rest of the LaQuanda's and Tazarius's in the "Hood" where it's cool to not know anything but the lyrics to the newest TI song and whatever the fuck "Trap or die" means.

I don't think you should name your kids dumb shit. I don't think you should name your kids "Cody", "Trevor", "Seth", either. Let your individuality make you unique, not a 9 letter name that you can't pronounce.

ha..this thread is ignorant..

we all know a name is just a name...really the main things hindering the poor black kids in the ghetto besides being poor, black and in the ghetto is the racism around these names..having a name like "chiquita" or "jamal" doesn't make you less employable...RACISM makes you less employable..and yes having a name that isn't straight up anglo does make it easier for racists to discriminate against you..STEREOTYPES PEOPLE....geezus..get a fucking grip on whats real..

I refuse to read through this whole thread but...

There's white people with stupid names too. They get the same discrimination I'm sure. How many "Rainbow"s or "Dweezle"s are working in skyscrapers? :rolleyes2:

Originally posted by methadone program@Jan 6 2006, 04:27 AM

my best friends name is adisa....i think thats a rad name.

id like to meet a blackguy named waldo one day.

my friends dads name is waldo, he has never met him in his life and he lives in baltimore. we used to give my boy shit about it and ask him "wheres waldo" kinda fucked up but we thought it was funny.

Archived