Why do so many black people give their kids such stupid names?

Rodney Trotter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest !!! SUB DUDE

i read the birth announcements in the local newspaper every day just to laugh at this shit. it seems that the current trend is LOTS of unnecessary apostrophes and names that have "rae" somewhere in them.

oh and one time i met a girl named "ROTUNDA." seriously. :lol:

Originally posted by seeking

as long as america remains a firecly capitalist society, racism will always exist (and flourish). if someones name or skin color may cause someone else to lose money, it will be a problem for everyone involved. as our job market moves over from industrial to technological, intelligence is far, far more important than physical capability. 40 years ago, what mattered was that you could put a car together, or machine a part. it didnt matter if you could speak properly, hell it didnt matter if you could speak at all. as long as you could show up sober and work for 8 hours, you were qualified. of course there was still racism, but that was completely ignorant racism with no basis what-so-ever in reality. now a days though, you need to have multi-national teleconfrences and deal with branches of your company in 35 different states. you need to project a professional attitude and confidence to potential clients. bosses know that that 9.9 times out of ten, the name brent williams is going to be better received than lakisha jones. on top of that, because of societies biased educational system, 'lakisha' is also going to be much more likely to speak with an accent, miss-pronounce words, or use words that dont exist (conversate, anyone?!) than 'brent' is. thats just fact. its not an inherent problem, its a social and economic problem, but it is a problem. we might be created equal, but we are not reared equal.

i could go on for a million years.

I strongly disagree with some of the points you have made here. I am amazed that you can actually say that someone with a name like Lakisha is more likely to mispronounce words than someone named Brent. This is very wrong for many reasons.

If the two have similar resumes, it means that they both have similar backrounds and education, meaning that obviously this Lakisha, if at the same status as Brent, has gotten a grasp on the english language and is a proficient worker. Theres no reason to think that just because she has african american heritage that she is more likely to not be able to pronounce simple words and phrases. I find that highly offensive to any hard working african american who has done well in studies and followed through with hard work and college to get a good job.

Another thing is that The American SAT's are designed completely for white-america. The entire tests are deveoped in a way that is much easier and more understandable to kids who have grown up in the average white society, for instance, a suburb. Therefore, most blacks score lower on tests just because of their backround, reflecting nothing on intelligence. Dont believe me? Read the book "Institutional Racism in America" and you will understand. Or search the web for institutional racism and read on one of the vast amounts of sources supporting my point (not that i am originating this idea, and they are supporting ME personally obviously). So really what this means is that someone who is black and has a similar resume to a white person, and higher or equilivent education means they had to work HARDER. Everything that they had to do was harder for them due to every single thing that is designed for white america, including the sugar coated history all the way to the bad grades because of rascist teachers and distractions from living in a lower class neighborhood like drugs and gangs, all the way to the tests. I'm sick of talking about this but you get my point. Don't call such a completely stereotyping statement "fact". thats just bullshit. and im not trying to disrespect you or lecture you or something, im just arguing the argument.

http://www.nyec.org/racism.htm

i keep trying to clarify my point better, but i really dont care enough, so i'll go ahead and admit you're right (atleast with your first paragraph). if there were two people with identical resumes (which included bachelors, or grad school and previous employment), one named tashaniqua johnson, and one named jeff hallsworthy, tashaniqua would be just as qualified as jeff. to fully understand what i was saying though, you'd have to read the entire thread and understand the totality of my point: intelligent people do not give their children nonsensical names. which means that 'tashaniqwa johnson' even being in that position is so unlikely, that it's almost a moot point. i was kind of unintentionally combining two arguments into one, and you're right, the scenario i described, she would be just as qualified, and my 'fact' is not a 'fact'.

as for your second paragraph, you'll get no arguments here. i know the system is set up against poor people, i've maintained that from the begining. infact, thats been the center of my argument. if all schooling was equal, and everyone had a fair chance, then names indeed would not matter, but when you give your child a name that instantly identifies them with a specific group of people, they will be included with that group (right or wrong).

the point of all my posts in this thread, besides just trying to amuse people (as discussed) was that intelligent people who want their children to succeed do not name their kids toyota (or moon beam, or apple). by doing so, you are automatically putting your child at a disadvantage. the people who dont consider that, clearly are not very bright to begin with, thus the cycle repeats.

very good reply.

Allright seeking, I gotcha. I think the main thing that is going wrong right now is like i said, if Brent and Lakisha have the same educational backround, USUALLY it means Lakisha is a harder worker and is more qualified, when its always backwords. This just makes it so much harder to improve minorty achievement. Agreed?

what the?

I have an original name! And I like it! And it means something, too.

Yeah, I got made fun of a bit, and as a matter of fact, people still try. Yeah, people my age. But it's easy - the people who make fun are the people who never finished high school, have terrible social skills, and have other problems. JHS bullies that never grew up type shit. Now I see why, as this thread gives me an idea that you people are mad racist, but are afraid to admit it.

When I hit a party and meet three Johns and a Kevin, I have a hard time remembering any of their names. But when I meet a Gustav, I'll remember a hell of a lot easier.

Seriously, seeking, that's pretty bad, some of the things you say.

oh, and all of you sarahs and johns can laugh all you want about Ms. Paltrow's daughter's name (Apple), but the fact is, it's pretty nice. Names have to be created somewhere - last I checked, there was no 'Amber' in the Apostles.

My daughter's name is going to be very original, and it will have something to do with marijuana. I'm not going to say what it is, because it WILL be stolen, that's how fresh it is. And this is coming from a guy who had kids be bruuutal to him back in the elementary school days for my first and last name. which kids? the white kids. the low class white kids from the white trash area in my neighbourhood. *the white kids who are having a much more difficult time in life than me, that's for sure.

Originally posted by Weapon X

oh, and all of you sarahs and johns can laugh all you want about Ms. Paltrow's daughter's name (Apple), but the fact is, it's pretty nice. Names have to be created somewhere - last I checked, there was no 'Amber' in the Apostles.

My daughter's name is going to be very original, and it will have something to do with marijuana. I'm not going to say what it is, because it WILL be stolen, that's how fresh it is. And this is coming from a guy who had kids be bruuutal to him back in the elementary school days for my first and last names. which kids? the white kids. the low class white kids from the white trash area in my neighbourhood.

try kaya. i always thought i might name my first daught4r that.

Originally posted by seeking

cry me a river. give your kid a retarded name, be it drakari, or river, and you're setting your kid up to fail.

welcome to america.

like River Phoenix? If it wasn't for the drug overdose, he would've been a success right now, I think. He was a good looking actor with actual talent. And he was on his way to succeed in a big way, I think. Or checkit - his brother Joaquin...he's doing pretty well.

Originally posted by Weapon X

My daughter's name is going to be very original, and it will have something to do with marijuana.

kiya? been done. naming your daughter after marijuana is just slightly more fucking ignorant than naming your pet after drugs of some sort.

i honestly dont even give a shit about kids picking on eachother. kids will pick one one another for everything and anything. they'll pick on eachother for things that are perfectly normal by anyones standards. kids are retarded. im talking about job opportunities. a kid named 'apple' is going to have a much harder time getting a quality job than a kid named 'elizabeth'. i dont care how 'original' it is, originality doesnt pay the bills.

besides, who the fuck are you to talk about anyone being close minded or ignorant? your the one who claims lesbians all secretly crave dick.

weapon x, i don't think seeking is a racist at all....i think he's just trying to be more realistic than others here would be willing to do.

it takes nuts to say what he's saying. respect him for his opinion. even if it does look like he's playing the devils advocate.

i don't agree with him on alot of what he's saying, but i understand it. there's a difference.