Why do so many black people give their kids such stupid names?

Rodney Trotter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by casekonly

the thing is, by being as confident in yourself and in what you're saying, it sort of makes you right. it's the same way that you seem so assured in yourself and your philosophies probably wins you alot of arguements (you fucking energy thief). i'm dead serious. not about disrespecting you, but about the confidence thing.

dude, i hate arguing with people like me. ha. it's just too damn difficult. not even kidding.

one of the things that makes arguing with me so damn difficult, is that i stay away from arguments that deal with 'facts' unless i know the facts fall in my favor. since this is an argument of ideas and theory, the 'winner' is going to be the one that can make their perspective sound the most reasonable, and generally speaking, the most practical. not that i tailor my argument to fit this, i just tailor my life to fit the most 'practical' perspective, so it's easy for me to speak on. plus, i'm just a pretty good speaker, which works in my favor.

at the end of the day, ideally i agree with you, a name should not matter, but i also believe we should have national health care, a fair tax plan, better foreign policy, and free refills on all soda fountain beverages. buuuuut, since thats not reality, i'm not going to pretend like it is and hope i dont get sick, poor or thirsty, naw'mean? ;)

tesseract: there is a difference between being pc, idealistic, and knowing what is going on in the world and not paying it any attention.

i choose not to pay attention to the b/s. names...what is in a name? seeking...let's just call him darryl for arguements sake or because i want to call him darryl....anyway, darryl is making valid points. especially about jobs...white people (and i am kinda white, myself. not all, but still) would rather yell "mary" or "bob" across a room that "shawanda"...white people would more likely hire a bob or mary...fuck an iq...fuck common sense...

that is exactly how "it" is. darryl is correct. my point is that if we properly educate and correct our children, a name won't mean anything other than "that is what that particular person is called". it won't be grounds for hurtful comments, etc. that can screw up a childs psyche moreso than some name his folks gave him.

i'm not all beardo love widespread panic hippie here.

seeking...err, darryl, rather, i commend you on your brute honesty. it's rare that someone will go completely out of their way to be an ass pirate.

but, seriously....it is rare that someone won't be all pc and actually voice their true opinion. good job. now get rid of that officer whatever his name is and get me a list of all the asian massage parlors in the detroit area.

seeks: i just read your last post (posted while i was typing, no doubt)

i was correct, then? you are just confident in what you say....even if you're not correct, it seems like you are to the uneducated or meek. ha!

tesser is right, you do need to be famous...somehow...too bad carnies don't really exist any longer.

pffft,

i dont debate much 'in real life' because i dont like to talk to most people, and it's much easier for me to just go off on my own and draw or something. while im at work though, i have nothing else to divert my attention....well, other than my job, but i dont feel like doing that. ha. i will get into things if i'm prodded enough, but i try not to. it's aggravation i dont generally need.

i'm glad some people find it atleast amuzing. as long as folks laugh, it was worth my time.

I can never help but laugh when I see black people with the last name

Freeman. It happens all too often...

Before you say it, I know all the fuck about it. Don't explain to me that

it's because their real family names were lost during slavery, 'cause I

already fucking know that too. However, you didn't the Soltysiak

family float over here in the mid 1900's and rename themselves

"The Immigrants," "The Whitey's," or "The Havenots."

casek,

everyone thinks they're right, ya know. i may not be, but i genuinly believe the shit i say. if it turns out i'm wrong, i'll gladly admit i was. honestly, i would always rather be wrong, because it's a whole lot easier for me to move over to the side of the 'righteous' than it is to get others to come over to you, ya know.

fame is an illusion, i just want to make the people around me laugh. dave chappelle is awesome.

Originally posted by seeking

casek,

everyone thinks they're right, ya know. i may not be, but i genuinly believe the shit i say. if it turns out i'm wrong, i'll gladly admit i was. honestly, i would always rather be wrong, because it's a whole lot easier for me to move over to the side of the 'righteous' than it is to get others to come over to you, ya know.

fame is an illusion, i just want to make the people around me laugh. dave chappelle is awesome.

preach on brotha, preach on. ..

i honestly do like these debates. it livens up the place, gets the old mind thinking, etc.

I understand the point of view from which Seeking is coming from, because most people do think that way. Its just a shame that most people think that way, and see no other point of view. You should be reading the information on the resume not what the name says. Our fucking society can be so ignorant at times. Yes, i have laughed at people's names before. I mean come on Gwnyeth Palthrow just named her child Apple, . (haha..see i'm laughing) but that doesnt mean they didnt recieve the right education. They could have gone to harvard, while Ms.Smith didnt even graduate from Highschool. I dont know.. i'm one of those people who believe in fairness, and if i was a manager and both resumes were tied, i would interview both of them, not just go by who has a common name. You want the person that best fits the postition.

But like Seeking also said, no matter what people will always be judged by shit like that. So like i said earlier thats why i gave Machai a common first name-Connor, so when he does go to work, stupid shit like that can't be held against him.

as long as america remains a firecly capitalist society, racism will always exist (and flourish). if someones name or skin color may cause someone else to lose money, it will be a problem for everyone involved. as our job market moves over from industrial to technological, intelligence is far, far more important than physical capability. 40 years ago, what mattered was that you could put a car together, or machine a part. it didnt matter if you could speak properly, hell it didnt matter if you could speak at all. as long as you could show up sober and work for 8 hours, you were qualified. of course there was still racism, but that was completely ignorant racism with no basis what-so-ever in reality. now a days though, you need to have multi-national teleconfrences and deal with branches of your company in 35 different states. you need to project a professional attitude and confidence to potential clients. bosses know that that 9.9 times out of ten, the name brent williams is going to be better received than lakisha jones. on top of that, because of societies biased educational system, 'lakisha' is also going to be much more likely to speak with an accent, miss-pronounce words, or use words that dont exist (conversate, anyone?!) than 'brent' is. thats just fact. its not an inherent problem, its a social and economic problem, but it is a problem. we might be created equal, but we are not reared equal.

i could go on for a million years.

um, some of these stories are just flat out bullshit. no one would ever name their kid 'shithead'. unless i see a bith certificate, i wont believe. child protective services have stepped in to intervene in cases like this in the past. they wouldnt let that slide. also, no black grand parent is going to let their daughter, name their their grand child 'shithead'. some of the names might be ridiculous, but thats just retarded.

also, if a baby was abandoned, it would not be up to the random dr. that happened to check it out after it was found, to name it, and if he did, he would not name it 'female' and give it some retarded afrocentric pronunciation. not unless the 'dr.' had a partner named 'ed lover' and he worked at 'hot 106.7 mercy hospital' anyway.

this shit is all urban folk lore, much like the story of 'lemonjelo, and oranjelo (lemon-jelo, and orange-jelo).

Guest imported_Tesseract

fame is an illusion, i just want to make the people around me laugh.

thats awesome, by fame i mean a larger audience and you being able to make a living by doing what pleases you..oh wait..i sound like casek now...:D

Originally posted by alure

I understand the point of view from which Seeking is coming from, because most people do think that way. Its just a shame that most people think that way, and see no other point of view. You should be reading the information on the resume not what the name says. Our fucking society can be so ignorant at times. Yes, i have laughed at people's names before. I mean come on Gwnyeth Palthrow just named her child Apple, and i have a son with a kid named Leif. (haha..see i'm laughing) but that doesnt mean they didnt recieve the right education. They could have gone to harvard, while Ms.Smith didnt even graduate from Highschool. I dont know.. i'm one of those people who believe in fairness, and if i was a manager and both resumes were tied, i would interview both of them, not just go by who has a common name. You want the person that best fits the postition.

But like Seeking also said, no matter what people will always be judged by shit like that. So like i said earlier thats why i gave Machai a common first name-Connor, so when he does go to work, stupid shit like that can't be held against him.

^You hit the nail right on the head alure, i agree with you 110%

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by MIZZaBcfly

^pervert

That would be me, i'm the kind of dude that would sit on your opossite building's roof all dressed in black for hours until i could capture you on film doing your dirty-dirty...seeking just wants to see your tits, nothing wrong with that, if we make a poll 98% of the board would like to see them

Names are important

What name a parent chooses for their child is going to have a great deal of influence on how that child sees himself or herself. The desire to name a child something unique and ethnic is no different for a black parent than it is for a white parent. How many red-headed, blue-eyed Seans or Patricks have you met? How many Roman Catholic girls named Mary Elizabeth, Mary Alice, Mary Josepha have you met? And don't forget, being named Jamal in north Africa is probably about like being named "Ted" here in the U.S.

Most parents want to name their children something that has some meaning, some tradition, and some dignity. I think the thing that bothers me about "black-sounding" names like Laquisha and Rashonda is that they don't seem to have any basis in reality. But, as the trend continues, eventually these sort of names will become commonly known and accepted, and Rashonda will be no different than Rebecca or Rachel, which are both English adaptations of Hebrew names of Bibical characters.

Some people deliberately pick ghetto sounding names for their children, and I find that a little disturbing. BTW, you guys do realize that "Mercedes" was a Spanish name for girls about three or four hundred years before the invention of the automobile, don't you?

Cut people some slack on the names thing. If it strikes you as bad, it's probably you, not them.

Originally posted by Tesseract

That would be me, i'm the kind of dude that would sit on your opossite building's roof all dressed in black for hours until i could capture you on film doing your dirty-dirty...seeking just wants to see your tits, nothing wrong with that, if we make a poll 98% of the board would like to see them

:lol:

stereotypes don't just fly out of peoples asses. every single one has some basis in reality.

<span style='color:black'>When i lived with my boy and his mom (Black family) we ate fried chicken almost every night.

I feel you 100% on the name thing. My buddy has gotten rejection letters due back to his name for jobs like working at a car wash, bagging groeries, and other menial bullshit. It ranges not just from corporate jobs but everything inbetween. It got to the point where the best thing for him to do would be to go to a job and talk to the people for a little bit to show them that he wasnt just some ignorant ass fool.

Due to my last name, I dont even try to fly anywhere any more. The security at the airport has looked at my ID done a double take and literally said to me "Whoa...guess what! You are the random guy to be searched" and just fucked with me non stop almost causing me to miss my flight everytime. The thing is its not any where near any kind of aribic name but its also not a more noticible name like smith jones or an italian sounding name or what have you.

Shit sucks but that is life.</span>