bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

I ran over glass going downhill around 30 mph..

So my tube is slashed - It went flat in like 5 seconds..

Losing control at high speed really sucks.

Thanks for the info - I woulda asked my dad, former competitor of 4 Ironmans..but he's an ass who'd rather laugh at me..

Kinda like arcel.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by old*824

just cause im still toy at this.....

i wanna fixie. i found a nice person to build the wheels for me but the frames on me. what exactly is fixie frame material?

I've pretty much always dumpster dived for mine. horizontal drops and steel is all I look for...well ok...it has to fit also.

google.com or try ebay

ATA Cycle, 1773 Mass Ave, Cambridge, (617) 354-0907; www.atabike.com.

• Broadway Bicycle School, 351 Broadway, Cambridge, (617) 868-3392; www.broadwaybicycleschool.com.

• Cambridge Bicycle, 259 Mass Ave, Cambridge, (617) 876-6555; oldroads.com/cb/html.

• Community Bicycle Supply, 496 Tremont Street, Boston, (617) 542-8623; www.communitybicycle.com.

• International Bicycle Center, 89 Brighton Avenue, Brighton, (617) 783-5804; www.internationalbike.com.

Guest TEARZ

just got back from a 60mi training ride with these two dudes that i used to son last year. a couple times i was lagging- no sleep, no breakfast, ran out of water & food halfway through the ride- but i have far too much pride to get dropped although it did hurt several times. i just don't have the miles this year- i could drop them on climbs (until the end when i was bonking), but i had to grab a wheel on flats. sheeyit. these guys have been riding a lot more, but last year they couldn't even stay with me. so discouraging. plus it was fucking wet and cold; demoralizing weather. arm warmers, cape, booties, the whole nine.

ok, i'm just gonna put this out there because i've been thinking about it on this thread for over a year...

JOKER, will you design a bicicletas jersey? i just think that would be the absolute best thing ever. i'd organize getting the $ together from people and all that if it's something you have time/are interested in doing.

TEARZ... Definitely. I worked on one about a year ago but I think I tossed it out when I did a major cleaning on the computer. But I can start on a new one pretty soon. Anything that I should definitely have on there or consider having on there? Anyone?

Steve... That event sounds like a good time! You still going to share some photos?

Boxcar... I wish I was there in San Fran... I miss me some good Mexican food.

I haven't rode distance in almost a month. I took some time off in June, about three and half weeks to get some artwork done for two shows I had in July. I worked up to the last minute, then went to Chicago for a week in July for one of the shows. When I got back, I started to train again for this upcoming crit that I did last year. I did pretty well last year and wanted to go even better this year. I started racking up the miles for about a week and half and then projects started coming in. Now I've just been riding too and from work. 15 miles a day... whoopie! At least I've been riding my fixed and keeping my legs familiar with pain. That way when I start my winter training in October my legs won't be like jello.

i think i may be starting to burn out alittle.. im just really worried about the cross season... since march i have done 23 ( i think) races and since mid may when i got my new bike computer ive put around 2,500 mile in... ive been riding alot and i feel strong as hell but my mind is just loosing the flame a little... im only doind 4 more races for the road season and then i get no break and i head right into the cross season.. i hope i make it alright

count me in for the jersey or t-shirt whatever

picked up my new bike thie weekend....oh yeah!

got a cannondale ironman 800. its a sweet ride.

but now after my first 30 miles on it I cant walk lol.

not used to these wheels either, way different than

my mt bike. every crack in the road felt like I hit a pot hole.

nice bike though and real fast

Originally posted by TRYB0L

every crack in the road felt like I hit a pot hole.

aluminum. ;)

congrats on the new bike man. now its time to get used to the pain. a nice carbon fork will take that edge off.

I'd probably be down with a jersey. All I have is race shit...and I'm kinda tired of looking like a walking billboard everywhere I go. Did you have a manufacturer picked out for the jersey yet? If not...I have a couple of suggestions.

I picked up the photos this weekend...so they're on their way.

yeah it has a carbon fork...I just have to watch the road better. rode as if I was on my mt bike, not worrying about stuff on the road...until I hit the first crack. that woke me up

real quick lol. it has touring bars...do any of you use these?

I switched over to riding with a fixed rear wheel this past may after moving away from a place that was composed entirely of hills. The rear wheel was weak. Actually, the whole bike was pretty shabby. For the most part i just had it built as a test to make sure that i wanted to make the switch to riding fixed. The bike is more or less beat and the cost of replacing the damaged parts is more than i am willing to put into it. With this in mind I have set out in search of the perfect(relatively affordable) bike. I am deciding between three bikes, the bianchi pista, a surly steam roller, and a soma rush. If anyone has any reccomendations on the merits of any of these, please let me know. Also, Bianchi is sold out of the pista for the year so if anyone knows where i may be able to find one online or in New york let me know.

Any information that could help me to find a good price on a new or used(good condition) track bike would be very helpful.

thanks, ....

Originally posted by ROOKIE

Any information that could help me to find a good price on a new or used(good condition) track bike would be very helpful.

thanks, ....

I have a Fugi Track bike set up with some really good wheels (Surly track hubs and Sun ME14A rims) that I'm willing to part with for the right price. I love this bike, but I'm getting ready to move and I'm not sure I have the space for it. PM me if you're interested.

I switched over to riding with a fixed rear wheel this past may after moving away from a place that was composed entirely of hills. The rear wheel was weak. Actually, the whole bike was pretty shabby. For the most part i just had it built as a test to make sure that i wanted to make the switch to riding fixed. The bike is more or less beat and the cost of replacing the damaged parts is more than i am willing to put into it. With this in mind I have set out in search of the perfect(relatively affordable) bike. I am deciding between three bikes, the bianchi pista, a surly steam roller, and a soma rush. If anyone has any reccomendations on the merits of any of these, please let me know. Also, Bianchi is sold out of the pista for the year so if anyone knows where i may be able to find one online or in New york let me know.

thanks, ....

all of those frames are decent for the price...the rear hubs that come on the pistas are kinda garbage. i've had the bearings repacked twice on mine since january, but for the price it can't really be beat.

you can also look into the KHS and Fugi track frames for the same price range.

what are you planning on doing on this bike?

racing?

messengering?

dicking around town?

any of them would be more than fine for the third option, but you might want to think about it a little more if considering the first two.

Im not sure if this has been covered yet, but i keep seeing people asking about fixies and figure its worth repeating.

i volunteer at a place that lets you come in and fix your bike for free, sells used bikes and parts, etc. in the last 3 months ive seen about 6 of these "fixed gear" bicycles that people keep buying off the internet, all from one or 2 people based in california (i think).....

DO NOT BUY THEM!!!!!!!!!

i actually bought a similar one myself about a year and a half ago at a swap not realizing what it was. these bikes are road frames built on road cranks and road freewheel hubs. theres a couple things that are shady about them.

-most of the bikes i saw were respaced not by re-dishing the wheel, but by flipping over the BB spindle so as to achieve a more straight chainline. the chainline still remained pretty horrible.

-in my case, the frame was bent right behind the head tube on the down and top tubes. although it was steel, this is sketchy and probably shouldnt have been sold to me.

-i also realized a while later that the drive side arm had a small crack right where the arm meets the spider. this could have proved pretty dangerous.

-the worst and most dangerous aspect of these bikes is that the hub is fixed by slapping on a track cog and then tightening down a lock ring from a bottom bracket adjustable cup. in some cases the guy had used lock tite, in others it was just tightened against the cog. in either case, the ring will eventually slip because it is not as strong as an actual lockring, and is not reverse threaded like a true track hub so rather than tightening with reverse force (from stopping or skidding), it will either just unthread and fall off, or more likely strip apart and ruin the threads on the hub.

-all the bikes were pretty shoddily assembled as well. some of them had totally loose bottom brackets, untensioned or unbalanced wheels, small deformities in the frame (which could be fatal or just aesthetic), and lacked grease in key areas.

basically i would warn against buying a bike you cannot look at in person, but ESPECIALLY not one of these things. unless youre just buying it cause its an ok frame and its dirt cheap and you arent going to pedal around on that deathtrap "fixed" hub.

Originally posted by 48:16

all of those frames are decent for the price...the rear hubs that come on the pistas are kinda garbage. i've had the bearings repacked twice on mine since january, but for the price it can't really be beat.

you can also look into the KHS and Fugi track frames for the same price range.

what are you planning on doing on this bike?

racing?

messengering?

dicking around town?

any of them would be more than fine for the third option, but you might want to think about it a little more if considering the first two.

I am not into racing, my schedule doesn't work in a way that would fit in a messengering job, but I won't just be dicking around. I put in an average of 15 or so miles a day on a mix of residential streets in bk, and queens, and the hustle and bustle of manhattan and busier streets in bk. I think I may need some serious hub reccomendations. My rides range from 10 to 55 miles, so I am not getting extremely hardcore with it, but I need to make sure that I get a bike that can hold up to stopping and nyc traffic.

thanks for all the help everyone

I am not into racing, my schedule doesn't work in a way that would fit in a messengering job, but I won't just be dicking around. I put in an average of 15 or so miles a day on a mix of residential streets in bk, and queens, and the hustle and bustle of manhattan and busier streets in bk. I think I may need some serious hub reccomendations. My rides range from 10 to 55 miles, so I am not getting extremely hardcore with it, but I need to make sure that I get a bike that can hold up to stopping and nyc traffic.

thanks for all the help everyone

well...in my opinion, if you're just using it for riding around and not putting it through 10 hours of messengering a day is to buy a COMPLETE bike and just upgrade parts as you wear them out...that way you'll have something to ride right from the get go and you'll save a lot of money. for the wear and tear you put on your bike most of the stock stuff on those bikes should last you a while. i've been through a stock bottom bracket in 4 months and had to have my bearings repacked in my rear hub twice since january....but that probably won't be the case for you.

my personal preferences are the pista, the surly and the KHS. in that order. you should be able to get all those built up for under 600 and hopefully around 500. also if you want a NEW bike (not used) sometimes you can come across last years models at shops for a good discount.

• 2 weeks later...