bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

two UCI races last weekend... finished up 19th on sat. and 14th on sunday... my fitness is starting to get there i say by the time nationals come around i will be flying.... race in NJ this sunday

so i booked the hotel room for nationals...YAY!! so im def. going... jocker im going to send you an email sometime soon...

ride till you die

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i was riding around thecuts of the east bay on a mountian bike for a while till i came flying down a hill and tried to jump a median over the bushes and cleared it but wrecked on the landing. anyway, i lost that bike and now i got this schwin art fag bike. you know, with the leather seat with springs under it and curved bars with 18 speeds. its black though. i think the frame will make a good fixie. the cat making it a fixie dropped knowledge so i mob that shit in the toughest gear and it takes a minute to get up to speed...and its funny getting passed by school kids and shit.

im only riding 40 or 50 miles a week. i thought i was on top of shit till i watched that bike race in s f a while back and was like DAMN!!!

Originally posted by old*824

im only riding 40 or 50 miles a week. i thought i was on top of shit till i watched that bike race in s f a while back and was like DAMN!!!

Lol!... yea, most of those guys do 50 miles or more a day. Some are in the saddle for seven hours a day. I guess when you get paid to race...

Steve... Cinnimon... great results! Sounds like Cross season is treating you well. Cinny, I'll be in town for sure. I'm pretty sure I'm going to the race for entertainment purposes. The last few here in town have been a riot! This town loves it's Cross season. Last weekends race for the Cross Crusade series saw one of the single speed riders in a furry speedo. No one is saying how it happened but there was a rider from a local team running out of the woods and a few seconds later that same furry speedo guy was behind him... minus the speedo. That's right, shoes and helmet were the finishing attire. Muddy and smiling and the crowd on fire. It was scary and funny at the same time. No flicks though... sorry.

I'll be sure to catch flicks of Cinnimon in December though... by the way, where are you staying?

ay i could really use some advice. i got a seventy somthing schwin 12 speed that i want to convert to a fixie but im rather limited in knowledge as to what i should pay for a guy to do it. im figuring new cranks and at least one new wheel(sorry to state the obvious) new chain and what not. so how much should i pay you know? the guy making it for me is got three and is from nyc and runs his own bike joint but im not really trying to get hustled with alamony payments and fines that are the real deal.

thanks.

I don't know all the specifics, but if you really wanted to save the loot I know there's a way to use all the kit you already have and just fix the gear to be single speed. Not fixed. That's an option.

To go fixed, yea, you need new cranks and probably a new bottom bracket, new back wheel and cog and possibly a new chain. You may be able to salvage the one you have on the bike. If you went with all new parts, you're looking at easily $200 and up... not including labor. If you can find used parts... that's the way to go. You've got a beater so spending mad loot on it seems silly. Keep it a beater by adding used pieces.

My .02

So, I've been working with a coach for about six weeks now and doing this base layer program. Lots of spinning, a little of pushing a big gear and a few standing intervals on hills. And plenty of time in the gym. It's been interesting.

The days I ride I have to use a Heart Rate monitor and stay within a HR zone as much as possible during the length of the exercise. The first few weeks were really difficult but I eventually found a rythm and have been able to stay in zone for all rides... for about 70% of the ride. Spinning days are really easy. Spin at 90-100rpm's for the whole ride. Though, here in hilly Portland it gets difficult at times with a 23-11 cassette. My coach constanty tells me to buy a bigger cassette but I keep forgetting. The Push days are harder but still fairly easy. Push at 70-75rpm's for the whole ride. Keeping my HR in zone on these days can be a challange sometimes. Standing interval days are actually a good test. I have to get at least 15 minutes of hills in my ride, broken down into 5 minute intervals. Using a bigger gear and staying in zone up the hill, I have to stand up the entire five minutes. Sounds easy enough but it's actually kind of difficult.

The gym days are hard, for me. I'm not a weight lifter. So to do upper body work is a killer. Though in six weeks I have noticed a huge change in my legs and arms... and even my belly has shrunk a little bit.

Having a coach to talk with a learn things has been great. He's very motivational and very understanding. I thought it was going to be one of those things where results were all that was important. No excuses. It's been nothing like that. And that alone has been motivational... if that makes sense.

So, if you have the time and money, and the desire... Wenzel Coaching is highly recommended from this guy.

Guest kidlugz

it's been a long time since i've posted on here.

i had a real scare last monday. i had a heart flutter that lasted 4 hours(basically a heart palpitation). i went to the hospital and the doctors had to stop my heart and then restart it again with 200 joules of electricity. i still have the burn marks from the paddles on my chest. weird thing is that tests revealed no structural problems with my ticker. doctors chalked it up to excessive drug and alcohol abuse, lack of sleep, and poor eating habits. no more cigs or cheebs. beer yes. i can't live without beer.

at least now my body will be clean come next spring--so i can finally start racing.

here's a flick of my fixie.

[image]http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/eggnog.jpg[/image]

bloodclot. i can't remember how to post pictures on this thing!!! ah well. just go to the site if you wanna peep some beautiful machines.

Originally posted by kidlugz

i went to the hospital and the doctors had to stop my heart and then restart it again with 200 joules of electricity. i still have the burn marks from the paddles on my chest. [image]http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/eggnog.jpg[/image]

that sounds like some tv shit man. like on tv last night how i seen that a baby was clinically dead and cold for 45 minutes and came back to life.

congratulations on cheating death with the heart stop and start steez.

thanks for the advice joker. i was planning on using all beater parts anyway and can get pretty much everything used so conversion with used parts and labor i can hopefully swing and then learn how to ride one.

sorry ive been busy with school work and being extreamly sick... ihad a temp. of 103 for 2 days... it was the most horrible thing ever

so i raced on sat. the worse race ihave ever had... i don't think i was fully recovered from being sick and i finished close to last

then i raced again today and found some legs some where and pulled together a solid race.. finished 12th and im still leading the espoir cat. for the MAC cup series

nationals... right now we have reservations for the host hotel... my dad and i are planning on going i think we're flying out the 10th or 11th

Cinn... sounds good. You're real close to the race course. Not even a half mile. I believe there's a path that will take you right there, from the hotel. You're staying right on the river that seperates Washington and Oregon. You've got a grocery store within walking distance, a few fast food joints, REI (Outdoor store), several electronics stores, Book store, Target... lots of crud to keep you occupied outside of race times. Downtown Portland is about a five minute drive. I don't know if you'll have a car. Though I can easily take you and your Dad around in the evenings if you'd like. Remember... there's no sales tax in Oregon. If something is priced $5... it's $5.

I don't know much about the course. The actual race track is where I do my weekly crit races. The area around it is a mystery to me though. I think there's a BMX race track there too... somewhere. If I hear any gossip about the race I'll be sure to forward it on to you.

Shoot me an email when you're close to heading out and I'll give you my phone number so you can get in contact when you're here.

checking in...

right now, i am riding alkaline's (yes, old school alkaline) 2000 bianchi pista.

it's funny how getting into bikes has diverted my attention from girls. i used to walk around campus checking out racks... and, now i walk around campus checking out (bike)... RACKS!

i'm looking to build up a geared bike soon.

Trybol... I use an indoor trainer when the weather is just too much to handle or time is not on my side to get out. If you have the ability to train by a tv with a VCR or DVD player... get yourself some races and watch them as you ride. It's a good motivator and makes the time go by.

Hesh... I payed for three montha at a time to start, but I believe it's about $80 a month. What they do is set you up with a coaching representative in your area. It's usually some guy who's a cat1 or 2 roadie or someone who's a coach for a junior squad. Either way it's a good situation. They all go through intense training themselves so they know how to gauge your workouts to suit you. As far as time goes... they say on the web site that you're allowed about an hour worth of time a month. But I lucked out with a coach who feels that is crap. He's been very clear about me calling him if I need to. And every time I've called we've chatted for at least half an hour. And I call once a week... which he thinks is too little. When I have a quick question I'll email him and he usually gets back to me in a day. Real cool. I've been on the program for about seven weeks now... well, I just started my seventh week. I haven't noticed any strength in the hills yet, but I have noticed my abilities on the bike have improved. Meaning position, planted firmly in the seat while spinning, when to drink and eat... mindless shit that I never considered before. Supoosedly next month is when I start some hard riding and more intervals. The first month was cake walk. Lots of spinning and a few days where you push a big gear but you don't have to haul ass. The second month is a little more difficult but still pretty easy. The killers are time, you need to have access to a gym and following your heart rate... which means you need a HR monitor. I picked up the cheapest one Polar makes and it's been just fine.

The cool thing is they'll help you train for whatever reason. Whether you just want to lose weight, ride a century, race in a beginner class or race with the pro's. They'll help you reach your goals. At first I thought I was being suckered but lately I see what's going on and that I'm building up a base for the coming season of racing. It's a lot of technical crap and a little too involved for me at times, but I only plan to race a year or two more and I really wanted to see just how far I can get before bowing out. And I figured Wenzel was worth a shot. So we'll see come spring time just how hard and smart I trained.

Hope that long winded answer helps

thanks joker...I will have to get some road races on video. I only have mtn bike videos

at the moment, that will probably not go over to well with my room mate. I can see myself now....trying to jump my bike while on the trainer falling over still locked into the pedals.lol.

one more question. does anyone use touring bars? they came on my bike and I guess

sometimes there fun to use but they do get in the way. I have a cannondale ironman 800 which is a touring bike...but my area has allot of hills and I find myself not using the bars all that often.

• 2 weeks later...

okay okay okay the season is coming to an end...

finished up the MAC, mid alantic cyclocross series this past sunday with a good result.

had a great start and road smart and pulled out a 3rd place finish

finished up the series top on the U 23 list and currently ranked 9th in UCI points in the country. also finished up 8th overal in the mens

http://image.pbase.com/u37/dens/upload/23824479.savesIMG_5465.JPG'>

http://image.pbase.com/u37/dens/upload/23824487.savesIMG_5499.JPG'>

http://image.pbase.com/u37/dens/upload/23824491.savesIMG_5509.JPG'>

http://image.pbase.com/u37/dens/upload/23824509.savesIMG_5596.JPG'>

out sprinting for third

im the one with the red helmet

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the Cross National Championships just ended out here in the Northwest and it was a hellish weekend for all the riders. I have massive respect for anyone who rode that course even one lap. If you weren't there... you have no idea. We're talking a good 80% of the course was 4 - 6 inches of wet, sloppy, soupy mud. No solid edges to ride on and no where to pick up speed. The rain just kept coming and didn't let up till the Elite Mens race today... the final race of the series. But don't let that fool you. It didn't make the course any easier.

Cinnamon was out there giving it all he had. The first day I saw him on the field I was pretty sure I recognized him by the photos he's posted in here. But when the guy's face and gear is covered in mud... I wasn't completely sure. Finally met up with him and his Pops after his race. Cool guy and his Pops is damn cool too... whom I believe scored sixth place in his race. Only to be beaten my one of my team mates ;) Thanks for coming out guys!

Hopefully he'll have some photos to share so you can see just how shitty it was. In the Mens Elite race... the top ten guys really put it all into perspective for me. After two days of watching people struggle through the slop... to see these guys hammer through it like it wasn't there was amazing. That's serious training and massive bike handling skills all rolled into one day. Amazing... seriously...

Originally posted by TEARZ

anybody got any bike christmas ideas? like warm gear? something that will make me want to put in 60 miles even though there's two feet on snow?

I usually switch to the mountain side when winter rolls in. Its a hell of a lot easier to stay warm in the woods where the trees break up the wind. Here are some things I use or have heard about.

Keeping your feet warm:

• smart wool socks
  • vaseline inbetween your toes
  • plastic bread baggies over your socks
  • specialty socks like GoreTex. Sugoi makes a two-ply water and windproof sock. I have these and they work well as long as they are not tight
  • buy a pair of no vent shoes in one size larger than normal
  • bubble wrap in the soles of your vented shoes and duct tape to cover the vents
  • specialty winter shoes like Northwave or Gaerne (I have the Polars)

Keeping your hands warm:

• lobster gloves (I have these and they work great)
  • silk liner or latex gloves under a normal pair of full finger riding gloves

Lower half:

• I have some kick ass winter tights that have fleece on the inside. I can't remember who makes them (some European company).
  • Any tights with a wind-proof front are gonna kick ass
  • vaseline on your legs

Upper half:

• base jersey, normal jersey and some kind of jacket
  • fleece
  • Voler thermal jacket with a base jersey and one normal jersey usually gets me through the worst weather

I thought I'd keep it pretty general. I'm sure most of you guys already know most of these tricks. As far as pimp gear items that I have...I'll never do without that Voler thermal jacket. Its the bomb diggity.

Icebike has lots of good info.

thanks stevie... i need some tights with the windproof panel up front. i have super nice castelli windblock booties, and they work, but aren't real warm. lobster gloves may be the move.

Yea, windproof tights work wonders on the cold ass days. Fortunately up here it doesn't get too far below 40 degrees. I have those Assos tights and they're great but little too heavy for here. If you're looking for warmth... they're a good bet. And not much more expensive than any other brand. And their quality can't be beat.

I rock the Assos airblock booties with some craft wool socks. They keep the toes and all warm for about two or three hours. After that... the cold starts to creep in. When it's wet out I layer these neoprene socks under my booties. I cut holes in them for the cleats and heel. They work great for keeping the wet out. Steve's idea of bubblewrap and duct tape under the insoles of your shoes is a good one. I've never done it but some guys around here swear by it.

On the hands I use those Assos air block gloves with a thermal liner. When the rain starts to fall I have these super lightweight Pearl Izumi gloves that keep the hands dry like a champ. For $25... those gloves have made my rain rides pleasant.

Upper body I do exactly what Steve does. When that gear just isn't warm enough I use the Assos air block jacket. Not the "Gator" but the one that's one level down from it. I've had if for three years and it's been through hell. It still looks and performs like new. It cost me $225 but I would have no problem dropping the cash again if something happened to the one I got. Well worth the money on the cold days. And it's even waterproof on sprinkle days. Seriously, can't be beat. If you want to go cheaper, a Craft liner with a windblocker chest is a good option. I use that sometimes too and it's damn good. They should make them with windblocker arms as far as I'm concerned.

Been sick for the last ten days and haven't been on the bike or in the gym. Today is my first day back out there. Happier 'n shit!!

im sick of mud!

i still think i have some stuck in my eyes.

thanks to joker for coming out and cheering me on.

the weekend didn't go as well as i had hoped but you can only learn from going and racing at this level. There is always next year

http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/pics/2003/2003_nationals/elite_men/410F9248_marc_gullickson.jpg'>

go to www.cyclocrossworld.com they have a few pictures if you want to see just how bad the mud was.