bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yeah man the gram freaks rule road racing as well. a good quality steel frame will weigh the same as aluminum...a bit more in some cases...but its worth the grams for the ride quality.

You can race cross on a mt bike...just be sure to take off your bar ends if you have that worthless invention. I guarantee you'll love cross. I'm looking at new cross rigs right now. I was going to get a Bianchi...but it looks like my sponsorship is going to be better on another team.

Cool thanks for the info, I'm going to head down to the shop today and check some bikes out. One more question....I currently do not ride clipless peddles. Are they a must for road. I just dont like the feel of them, but everyone tells me I'm better off with them.

Guest TEARZ

trybol,

i'm going to respectfully diverge from my man steve austin's views a little bit. i think cannondales are fucking great and i would encourage you to look into the deal you can get. my two other bikes are steel, one an early 80s de rosa that is magic.

as far as new bikes, cannondales simply cannot be beaten in bang/buck value. my race bike is a campy equipped caad5/saeco that tips the scales at about 17.5 lbs. when i started looking for bikes, i was looking at looks, pinarellos, de rosas, all the pricey hot shit and basically had to face the no-brainer that i was going to pay 1,000+ to get more bike than i would with a cannondale. now, a part of me still wants a hot merckx/de rosa/merlin, and if you have the loot, i'm sure that you won't experience much buyer remorse. but i must say that the new cannondales are smooth. are they titanium? no, but they are a far cry from the standard harsh/stiff ride that you would expect from aluminum. and while i agree with steve's analysis, you can't find a steel frame in the same weight category without paying at least 600+ more. i've done many centuries and all day rides on mine and have nothing to complain about. and it is stiff as hell when you want it to be, a great sprint bike.

test ride them all.

good luck.

excellent points tearz....like I said...I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to material.

the really ironic thing here is...there is a huge possibility that I'll be riding a Cannondale next year. of course as soon as the season is over...it'll be on the auction block. there is also a possibility I'll be on a Moots.

oh yeah...all the broken frames were on the mountain side. I have yet to hear of anyone breaking a road frame.

definitely test ride them all...

I ride a Cannondale for winter training on the road. Like Steve said... you feel the bumps mor ethan you would Carbon or Titanium. After a long three hour ride in the wet, cold air and feeling every little bump... I'm ready for a 'doughnut hole' cushion. But the fit is way better than my Trek Carbon. The Trek rides way smoother and handles like a dream going uphill and straight. In sprints and descents... I'm quite freightened. Descents because I feel like I'm going to snap it in half if I hit a bump at 50mph. In sprints because when I put my head down (Like you're not suppose to) I can see my frame tweaking from left to right, what seems about three inches each way. Though I'm sure it's way less. It just seems like I would get more from my sprint using a bike of different material. Steve, any advice on that?

Definitely ride as many bikes you can before you decide what you want. And really decide if you want to gowith cross or road. Two different beasts, both equally as fun.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

OE...

you really need to try and find someone with a team bus. its the only way to go. the bus meets you at the halfway point with coolers of beer and you just get lit. we rode the majority of it in little 10 to 20 mile splurts. whenever we came across a town with beer...we'd stop and drink. I didn't do any "training" for it, but I'm already in shape...so I guess I didn't need to. any quality road bike would work...hell there were about 7 of us on 20+ year old fixed gears. there were people out there on huffies and 40+ lb Walmart full suspension mountain bikes. One guy was even pulling a fully stocked bar.

word is life, that sounds off the hook. my aunt has been riding it since it began and even my little sister rode it so fuck it, im going.

hmmmm...theres a big city near me and i want to be a bike messenger. is there a specific listing catagorie for messenger companies in the phone book, or do courrier services contract them privatley.

edit...no love in the local phone resources....

Originally posted by B_As_In_Bot

that would be great if someone taught me how to put a tube on my backwheel..

Just lovely.

(PLEASEHELP)

how to change the tube on your wheel (front or back)

take the wheel off your frame. let most of the air out of your tube. take the tire halfway off the rim. remove tube. replace tube. add a bit of air so you dont get a pinch flat. put the other half of the tire back on, and fill tube with air. put the wheel back on your bike.......ride like a champion into the night.

Originally posted by veloLusto

how to change the tube on your wheel (front or back)

take the wheel off your frame. let most of the air out of your tube. take the tire halfway off the rim. remove tube. replace tube. add a bit of air so you dont get a pinch flat. put the other half of the tire back on, and fill tube with air. put the wheel back on your bike.......ride like a champion into the night.

one addition:

be sure to check your tire for the cause of the flat. if you ride trail...there could be a thorn in there...and you guessed it...you'll have a brand new flat on your brand new tube if you don't remove it first.

aluminum, in my opinion, its great, i love it. nothing puts the pedal to the metal like a stiff aluminum frame. i also like carbon and steal, but i have always owned aluminum, with the exception of the lemond zurich i was loaned by an employer for about 6 monyhs, wich leads me to my lemond opinion. i really like them, very long top tube, very comfortable ride.

got a lawyer yeah!, lawyer said dont touch that bike from the accident(my cross bike) dont fix it , dont change it, strip it and especially dont ride it, untill a setlement is reached.BOOO! so i gotta think about a new bike, that i cant pay for right now. the dilema, if i heal soon enough for cross season i will need a new cross bike. but i may not heal that fast, i need a road bike because i dont own one. so in everyones opinion what would you do? buy a cross bike and potentially get stuck having 2, or buy a road bike and skip cross this season to heal better? im stuck. they both sound nice, i am kinda leanning toward a road bike. but i dont wanna miss cross if i can help it, i may not have any choice in that though. what to do, what to do.

Dibs....do you have a mountain bike? If so your cross dilemna is fixed. I couldn't imaging missing cross season...so my answer would be get a new cross bike. Besides, when a settlement is reached...they will most likely just give you a check...so you can buy a road bike then. glad to hear you got a lawyer.

lemonds...I haven't heard anything bad about them.

I'm all over the Lance farks...nice.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

Dibs....do you have a mountain bike? If so your cross dilemna is fixed. I couldn't imaging missing cross season...so my answer would be get a new cross bike. Besides, when a settlement is reached...they will most likely just give you a check...so you can buy a road bike then. glad to hear you got a lawyer.

steve, no i dont currently own a xc mtn bike(i should), i do have a dh/fr bike i am selling. i did some thinking today though, and with the advice of a fellow coworker who broke the same bone, i think it may be best to skip cross this season, as reluctant as i am about it.its my left hand that is broken, and i tend to fall to my left. and we all know there tends to be some falling in cross. i just dont want to rebrake it before its had time to heal and strengthen itself. a road bike seems practical for recovery. i still havent mad my desision yet, but i am leaning towards a road bike recovery. i mean i have a cross bike, dura ace and ksyriums, a Qalpha carbom fork. to spend a gang more on a new cross bike almost seems rediculous. i could always sell one when/if i get a check(i am tryin to stay realistic about this, i may not get anything). i am so undecided. UGH! i wanna race cross!!!!