The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

“I found a dead hooker under my bed....”

Date of review: Jul 26, 2006

12people found this review helpful

Not really, but if I did, this would be the place to find one.

Horrendous. I'm not a diva and can "rough it", if you will, but the first room we got was just not, well, clean. At all. Dirty, unmade bed, stinky Goodwill smell (if you've ever been in one, you KNOW the smell), etc. I requested a clean room and was graciously updgraded to a suite. Well, it was a suite. One room had crunchy, brown carpet, beige, dirty and torn curtains held together by safety pins and not one piece of furniture (I think this was the living room), wallpaper peeling off in sheets, a kitchenette with mouse droppings, flies and other bugs in the cabinets and a strong odor of 'OFF" and then the bedroom... there was what appeared to be dried blood on the walls, bare bulbs hanging by sketchy wires, no shower curtain, no soap- anywhere, smears on the bathroom mirror, crap furniture (bedside table, etc) literally falling apart... needless to say, I slept in my clothes and couldn't sleep because the lock was broken and I was terrified of what or who could burst in the door. I had visions of the Thai Mafia storming the room with machine guns or something equally as dramatic.

best part is at 3:30am when I leaving to thankfully get out of that deathhole to catch my flight, the door knob jammed and I was trapped in the room until I calmed down enough to jimmy it open.

scary, scary, scary.

Reviewer ratings for this hotel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d308900-r5511276-Airport_Suite_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

"I'm out here to bomb, period. That's what I started for. I didn't start writing to go to Paris, I didn't start writing to do canvases. I started writing to bomb... destroy all lines."

So says Skeme, one of the main characters of Style Wars, the landmark 1983 documentary chronicling the throes of New York's subway graffiti era. "Bombing," for those not in the know, is painting a train. "Writer" is a term serious graffiti devotees apply to themselves. And when they talk about their work, they use the term "piece," as in objet d'art.

That, of course, is the central dilemma of the movie, though it resolves rather efficiently. Is graffiti art or anti-social behavior? We're not talking about nasty vandals or quickie tags here, but what happens when a crew gets together with 30 cans of paint and a plan to do a whole car in vibrant multicolor. The answer is abundantly obvious based on the evidence alone, but producers Tony Silver and Henry Chalfant pound it home most emphatically. Art is art for art's sake. And that's exactly what motivated the kids in NYC during the period around 1980. Flash a quick ironic script hastily written on a train door: "FROM HERE TO FAME."

Says the young man Skeme:

It's a matter of... knowing I can do it. It's for me... I don't care about nobody else seeing it. It's for me and other graffiti writers that we can read it.

The thing that makes Style Wars so special is the brilliant way it illuminates graffiti culture, normally hidden in the depths of night while it imagines and creates images for the day. Co-producer Henry Chalfant took pictures of trains in NYC for three years before he met the artists; and when he finally went to the infamous "writers' bench" (central gathering place and idea exchange), it took months for the kids to accept that he wasn't a cop. But what a reward: vivid pictures of these artists' raw material, their ideas, and their motivation. All captured on film. The B&W color in this setting lends an entirely appropriate underground air to the operation.

Scenes between the teenage writer known as Skeme and his mother periodically appear throughout the movie. He's devoted beyond comprehension; she's completely (and realistically) mortified. But what can you do? He's an artist. The message: these writers had mothers, too.

Extended footage documents the transformation of a blank brick wall into a sparkly, bright mural with the headline "United Artists" and the frontline "Seen." The writer known as Seen directs this production, coordinating his crew and making sure the ideas in his head come out right on stone. There's an appropriate degree of flexibility and tolerance involved, too, since this is clearly a group event.

First comes the outline. Then the fill-in, which covers it up. The colors, chosen carefully. The background, and whatever details fill in the space around the main figure, and then it's basically done. It's very serious stuff. A certain amount of banter from the artists at work helps viewers understand what's going on in their heads and in their hands.

At the end, the transformation is complete. Just like a subway train, which would be illegal to paint and thus incriminating to film, but done in sunlight with ladders and plenty of time to get it right. For the most part, passersby marvel and delight in the piece that results.

The enormity of the event does not go unnoticed. As Dondi remarks later in the movie, bombing can be a daunting task:

You're like a little dude, you're like in the midst of all this metal, and like you're here to produce something.

Bonus points for getting it right, and major status points for having your own style. The title of the movie gets at the heart of this culture. It's not about following other people's ideas—though every participant in the film expresses respect for the long lineage of graffiti writers beginning with Taki 183 (from 183rd Street in Washington Heights) around 1970. It's about creating your own thing, making something fresher than what else is out there. And getting it out for other people to see.

From the moment the film's title drifts across the screen like it was painted on a train, you know you will be seeing a lot of locomotion in this film. A whole lot of cars. Some images are organized around themes (for example, Seen's myriad creations, with a rainbow of colors, endlessly varying letters, and idiosyncratic cartoons). Others just pop in and out. The great white Merry Christmas train, for example, with straightforward calligraphy script right down the center of the car carrying a perky holiday message. And they say commuters didn't like this stuff?

http://pkaudio.blogspot.com/2008/11/style-wars.html

Yo Moogle, I think Style Wars in general is the best graffiti documentary. I think partly because of it's creators. If you notice in the intro, it reaches so many levels of sophistication. Notice the way it starts in the dark, and then it booms into the light. That scene alone references so many stories that start out with how life was created from the "void". When you say Henry Chaflant "Illuminated" graffiti, he litterally brought it from the void of NYC.

Ps. That code thing is crazy too.

Any how - heres the link to that GKAE thing

6:15

its in a thread in third rail.

homagawd i totally mayde dat gkae meme 3 years ago hurr durr watermark STOLEN PICTURE

werd. i like when the black dude asks "how does hip hop have anything to do with graffiti?"

"aw maan you're a fool"

LOLZ

KEARNY STREET—Originally known as “La Calle de la Fundacion,” or the foundation street, was named after General Stephen W. Kearny, a native of New Jersey, and a veteran of the war of 1812. He had been colonel of the First United States Dragoons, and during the Mexican war was ordered to march with his troops and Doniphan’s Missouri regiment across the plains from Missouri, and conquer and take possession of New Mexico, and then proceed to California and conquer or take possession of it. Having taken possession of New Mexico he reached California December 2, 1846, acting under direct orders from Secretary of War William L. Marcy. He afterward fought the battles of San Pasquale, San Bernardino, San Gabriel and the Mesa, near Los Angeles. He was the son-in-law of Clark of Lewis and Clark, who first crossed the continent to the Pacific in the famous Oregon exploration. When he reached California, Commodore Stockton, who had arrived in Monterey August 15, 1846, and had then succeeded Commodore Sloat in command, was at San Diego, and claimed to be in supreme command of all the military and naval forces of the Untied States in California. He had been acting in conjunction with Colonel John C. Fremont and designed to make him military governor. Kearny, however, repudiated Stockton’s claim and was sustained by the authorities at Washington. Stockton then turned his command over to Commodore Shubrick and went east across the plains. Kearny then became the first military governor of California under United States authority. Not a great while afterward he returned east through New Mexico, taking with him Colonel John C. Fremont, whom he had placed under arrest for insubordination.

Some persons suppose this street was named after Phil Kearney, who was a major during the Mexican war and was for a while stationed at Sonoma. He was a general in the civil war. This fact often leads to the misspelling of the name. Governor and General Kearny spelled his name with one e, while Phil Kearney spelled his with two. The proper spelling is Kearny. This street was once widened twenty feet from Market street to Broadway.

MONTGOMERY STREET was named after Commander John B. Montgomery of the United States sloop of war Portsmouth, and whose marines and sailors took possession of Yerba Buena, July 9, 1846, and raised the flag on the plaza, which was afterward known as Portsmouth Square.

WASHINGTON, JACKSON, TAYLOR, FILLMORE, PIERCE and BUCHANAN STREETS and GRANT AVENUE were named after Presidents of the United States.

HARRISON STREET—Some persons suppose this street was named after General William Henry Harrison, President of the United States, but it is altogether more probable that it was named after Henry A. Harrison, who was a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, in 1849-50, and a member of the pioneer mercantile firm of DeWitt & Harrison.

JEFFERSON STREET—This street, running from Black Point to the Presidio and near the bay, is the only one named after the author of the Declaration of Independence and the third President of the United States.

MISSION STREET—was originally the only road out to the Mission Dolores and to Santa Clara and San Jose. It went partly through a swamp, considered to be unpassable for vehicles. Charles L. Wilson and his associates obtained the right to build a tollroad to the Mission. They leveled or graded Kearny street to Market, made a road along Third street to Market, made a road along Third street to Mission, then out Mission street to Sixteenth. Where necessary they filled up the swamp or marsh and planked the street. The tollgate was place at Kearny and Post streets, but was shortly afterward removed to Mission street. The street was finally macadamized. To prevent opposition they also improved Folsom street and placed a tollgate on it. These tollgates remained for many years, until cross streets, opened from time to time, enabled people to avoid the tollgates, notwithstanding they were from time to time moved to prevent such being done.

MARKET STREET—Supposed to be so-called after Market street in either Philadelphia or Baltimore, or both, though about the time this one was named the latter was changed to Baltimore street. This street took its present direction because it was laid out parallel to Mission street. Sand hills fifty or more feet high stood on it from Kearny street west up until about 1859 or 1860.

VAN NESS AVENUE—After James Van Ness, a native of New York. He was Mayor and Recorder (Police Judge) at the time the consolidation act went into operation in 1856. He, as Mayor, approved the Van Ness ordinance, so-called, by which the city surrendered to the actual settlers the lands within the pueblo west of Larkin street.

GEARY STREET—After John W. Geary, a native of Pennsylvania, a graduate of Jefferson College. By profession he was a civil engineer. He commanded a regiment at Chapultepec, where he was wounded, and was in command of the citadel of Mexico after its capture. He came to San Francisco after the Mexican war. In 1849 he was Postmaster, then Alcalde, and in 1850 was selected the first Mayor of the city. He was afterward Governor of the Territory of Kansas, a brigadier general in the Civil War and twice elected Governor of the State of Pennsylvania between 1867 and 1873. He commanded a division at Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Lookout Mountain and in Sherman’s campaign through Georgia in 1864. He and H. H. Haight, afterward Governor of this State, were together with the latter’s father, Fletcher M. Haight, afterward United States District Judge for the southern district of California, in partnership in the practice of law for a short time in the early fifties under the name of Haight & Geary. While Haight was Governor of California Geary was Governor of Pennsylvania.

HAIGHT STREET—After Henry H. Haight, a native of New York, lawyer by profession and Governor of California from 1868 to 1872.

VALLEJO—After Mariano G. Vallejo, a distinguished native Californian, born in Sonoma July, 1808. He was one of the founders of Benicia. He was once State Senator. The town of Vallejo was named after him. He was one of the delegates to the convention that framed the first constitution of this State.

CLAY STREET—Was named after Henry Clay, the distinguished Whig statesman and United States Senator from Kentucky.

WEBSTER STREET—Was named after Daniel Webster, the great Whig statesman and Senator from Massachusetts.

LEIDESDORFF STREET—After William A. Leidesdorff, a well-known business man of very early days; a pioneer of 1840. He was town treasurer and member of the Town Council in 1847. He died in 1848, leaving a large estate.

HYDE STREET—After George Hyde, one of the Alcaldes under the United States Government. Many early grants of lots to settlers were made by him. He returned in after years to Philadelphia, his native city, occasionally, however, paying a visit to this city. He was Alcalde in 1847-48.

LEAVENWORTH—After Dr. T. M. Leavenworth, elected Alcalde August 29, 1849. Peace with Mexico was declared about eighteen days previously, August 11, 1848 [sic]. At this time there were three bodies each claiming to be the only legal Ayuntamiento, or Town Council. In the contest Leavenworth made friends and many enemies. Many lots were granted by him to the early settlers. He removed to and lived many years in Sonoma County.

HOWARD—After W.D.M. Howard, a very prominent, wealthy, and influential business man of early times. He was a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, elected December 27, 1848. He died many years ago. George Howard, a prominent real estate man and one time member of the Legislature from San Mateo County, was a brother. The Howard Presbyterian Church was named after W.D.M. Howard, he having advanced most if not all the funds for building the first church edifice for that congregation. His firm, Mellus & Howard, September 1848, erected the first brick building in San Francisco. It was located at the corner of Montgomery and Clay streets.

FOLSOM STREET—After Joseph L. Folsom, in the quartermaster’s department of the United States army in 1848-49. He built a fine residence on the northwest corner of Second and Folsom streets. He died in the early fifties, leaving a large estate, of which General H.W. Halleck, A.C. Peachy and P.W. Van Winkle were executors. The town of Folsom was named after him.

FREMONT STREET—After Colonel John C. Fremont, an officer of the United States Topographical Engineers and pathfinder across the plains to California in 1844-45-46. He co-operated with the Bear Flag party at Sonoma June 14, 1846. He was the first United States Senator from California; a son-in-law of Thomas H. Benton, the statesman and Senator from Missouri. He was the first candidate of the Republican party for President of the United States. He claimed California at that time as his residence. He is the only candidate California has ever had for the Presidency nominated by either of the leading political parties. He was a general in the army during the Civil War.

BARTLETT STREET—After Washington Bartlett, president of the San Francisco Homestead Union, and who was several times elected County Clerk, was also Mayor of the city and afterward Governor of the State. He died while holding the later office. He was a native of Georgia.

BRODERICK STREET—After David C. Broderick, a native of Washington, D.C. Once State Senator, and afterward United States Senator. While holding the latter office a duel between him and David S. Terry, at that time Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the State, took place, and resulted in the death of Broderick. At some time for a short period he controlled the politics of the State, securing his own election to the United States Senate, and dictating the election of his colleague.

BRANNAN STREET—Was named after Samuel Brannan, a native of Maine, who came to San Francisco in 1846. By trade he was a printer, and on January 9, 1847, he issued the first number of the California Star, the first newspaper ever published in San Francisco. He was a very active, enterprising and influential citizen, a large, real estate owner, and at one time considered to be a very wealthy man. One of several of the first fine buildings erected in the city was one erected by him and recently torn down to make place for Alvinza Hayward’s new building at the corner of California and Montgomery streets.

BRENHAM PLACE—After Charles J. Brenham of the pioneer firm of Sanders & Brenham. He was elected Mayor of the city November 2, 1852.

DUPONT STREET—After Commodore Samuel F. DuPont of the United States navy.

STOCKTON STREET—After Commodore Richard F. Stockton of the United States navy. The United States flag was raised at Monterey July 7, 1846. Stockton arrived at Monterey August 15, 1846, and assumed command, as successor of Commodore Sloat, of all the United States forces on shore as well as at sea. On the 22d of August, 1846, he issued a proclamation as military commander and Governor, declaring California to be a part of the United States, and ordering an election for Alcaldes and municipal officers where such existed, to take place September 15, 1846. As naval officer he was succeeded by Commodore Shubrick and on land by General Stephen W. Kearny. He was a native of New Jersey.

POWELL STREET—Said to be named after Doctor Powell of the United States sloop of war Warren, Captain Hull.

JONES STREET—Doctor Elbert P. Jones was editor of the California Star, the pioneer newspaper of San Francisco, issued January 7, 1847 [sic]. He was a member of the Town Council in 1847. It is believed this street was named after him.

LARKIN STREET—This street was named after Thomas O. Larkin, who came to California in 1836 and was the United States Consul at Monterey when the United States took possession. He was a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, of this city, being elected thereto December 27, 1848. He was also a member of the convention that framed the first constitution of the State in September, 1849. He was one of the founders of the town of Benicia. He lived many years with his family on Stockton street, near Pacific, in one of a row of three houses built there.

O’FARRELL STREET—After Jasper O’Farrell, a civil engineer, who made the first survey of the city under United States authority, and mapped the streets and laid out the plan of the fifty and most of the hundred vara lots.

MERCHANT STREET—After an early time business man of that name.

SUTTER STREET—After General John A. Sutter, a pioneer settler of 1839 in the Sacramento Valley, where he built a fort. He gave relief and welcomed the immigrants across the plains with open handed hospitality. He rescued the Donner party in 1847. It was while engaged in digging a millrace for him that James W. Marshall discovered the first gold in 1848. Sutter County was also named after him. He was a member of the State convention that framed the first State constitution in 1849. He died in the town of Liditz, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, having lost his wealth.

VER MEHR PLACE—After the Rev. Dr. Ver Mehr, a pioneer Episcopal minister.

POST STREET—After Gabriel B. Post, a very prominent and influential merchant in the fifties and later. He was elected a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, August 1, 1849. In his time he was one of the leaders in public movements.

BRYANT STREET—After Edwin Bryant, a pioneer of 1846. He came across the plains from Independence, Missouri, and joined Fremont’s volunteers. He was the successor of Washington A. Bartlett as Alcalde, by appointment, February 22, 1847.

TOWNSEND STREET—After Dr. John Townsend, who was elected a member and president of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, December 27, 1848.

CAPP STREET—After C.S. Capp, the real estate agent, one time Deputy County Clerk. He was secretary of the San Francisco Homestead Union, the first homestead association formed in this city. The street runs through the lands of the association. He is a native of Philadelphia and a pioneer of 1849.

SHOTWELL STREET—After J.M. Shotwell, once cashier of Alsop & Co.’s Bank and secretary of the Merchant’s Exchange. He was treasurer of the San Francisco Homestead Union.

SHRADER STREET—After A.J. Shrader, a Supervisor from 1865 to 1873.

STANYAN—After Charles H. Stanyan, a Supervisor from 1866 to 1869.

MASON STREET—After General Richard B. Mason, one time colonel of the First United States Dragoons. He commanded the United States troops in California during a portion of the Mexican War. May 3, 1847, he became the fourth Military Governor of California, while General H.W. Halleck, then a captain, became Secretary of State under him.

EDDY STREET—After William M. Eddy who was elected City Surveyor by the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, in 1850. He completed the survey of the city between Larkin and Ninth streets and the bay.

ELLIS STREET—After A.J. Ellis, a prominent business man for many years. He was a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, of 1849-50, and a member of the convention that framed the State constitution in September, 1849, and once a member of the State Legislature.

BLUXOME STREET—After Isaac G. Bluxome, a well known and popular business man of early times.

BAKER STREET—After E.D. Baker, who was a colonel in the Mexican War. He was from Illinois, from which State he had been Congressman. He practiced law in this city for many years and was afterward elected United States Senator from Oregon. An eloquent man, he delivered the Broderick funeral oration. He was killed at Balls Bluff during the Civil War, while holding a commission as major general in the army, although at the time he was a United States Senator, the Senate having adjourned for the session. He is buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery.

McALLISTER STREET—After the McAllister family, of which Hall McAllister, the distinguished lawyer, was a member. His father, M. Hall McAllister, was the first United States Circuit Judge of this city, and his brother, Cutler McAllister, the first clerk of the Untied States Circuit Court and afterward a partner of Hall in practicing law. Another brother was F. Marion McAllister, an Episcopal minister, who had a church about forty years ago south of Market street, near Third. Another brother, Julian McAllister, was a major in the United States army, ordnance department, and during the Civil War was stationed at Benicia Barracks. Ward McAllister, another brother, left San Francisco and became well known to the “four hundred” of New York City.

HAYES STREET—After Thomas Hayes, who was County Clerk from 1853 to 1856, when the fees went to the Clerk and the office was supposed to be worth $25,000 or more per annum. Under the Van Ness ordinance he became the owner of a large tract of land known as Hayes Valley, through which this street ran.

NOE STREET—After Jose de Jesus Noe, an Alcalde at the Mission in 1842.

WEBB STREET—After S.P. Webb, Mayor of the city in 1854.

GUERRERO STREET—After Francisco Guerrero, who was born at the Mission Dolores and was Alcalde there in 1840-42.

DE HARO STREET—After Francisco de Haro, once an Alcalde.

CASTRO STREET—After Jose Castro, once a prefect of this district.

VALENCIA STREET—After a native family living in that neighborhood.

WALLER STREET—After R.H. Waller, a lawyer of early times, elected City Recorder (Police Judge) in 1851, and also in 1854. His nephew, George Waller, who was connected with him in business, was for a time a notary.

TURK STREET—After Frank Turk, a native of New York, lawyer, second Alcalde, Secretary of Ayuntamiento, Clerk of Councils and later a notary public. A well-known citizen of early times.

TREAT AVENUE—After George Treat, an early settler on the Treat tract in that neighborhood.

STEVENSON STREET—After Colonel D. Stevenson. His was the first regiment that landed in San Francisco during the Mexican War. It was recruited in New York City. Many of its members became well-known citizens, some still living here. Stevenson practiced law here for many years, was one time Shipping Commissioner and later notary public. He was over 80 years of age when he died. He landed in San Francisco March 6, 1847.

BUSH STREET—Possibly after Dr. Bush, a well-known physician of early times.

STEUART STREET—After Colonel William Spruce Steuart, a member of the Ayuntamiento for a short time in 1849.

STEINER STREET—Supposed to be after a business man of that name.

SANCHEZ STREET—After Francisco Sanchez, an Alcalde in 1843.

SCOTT—After General Winfield Scott, commander in chief of the United States army during the Mexican War and the last candidate of the Whig party for President of the United States.

SANSOME STREET—After a merchant who seems to have been more of a business man of Boston or New York than San Francisco.

BATTERY STREET—The Federal Government once made a reservation at North Point and established a battery there, which fact gave the name to this street. The reservation was subsequently abandoned.

SPEAR STREET—After Nathan Spear, who moved from Monterey to San Francisco as a merchant about 1841.

BEALE STREET—After Edward F. Beale, a lieutenant in the navy. He lived many years in the southern part of the State. Was one time United States Surveyor General for California. Was afterward United States Minister to Austria, or some other European court.

DRUMM STREET—After Lieutenant Drumm of the army. Supposed to be the same person who was adjutant of this department during the Civil War, and subsequently adjutant general of the United States army, residing at Washington.

DAVIS STREET—W.H. Davis, a pioneer of 1831 and a member of the Ayuntamiento in 1849-50, and who still lives in this city, says this street was named after him.

PAGE STREET—After Robert C. Page, a clerk to the Board of Assistant Alderman of Common Councils from 1851 to 1854. He was afterward in the real estate business.

PERALTA AVENUE—After a native family.

FRANKLIN STREET—Supposed by some to be named after Benjamin Franklin, but probably after Selim Franklin, a pioneer merchant, or Dr. E.C. Franklin, a pioneer.

GOUGH STREET—After Charles H. Gough, a pioneer and member of the Board of Aldermen of Common Councils in 1855. Horace Hawes, C.H. Gough and Michael Hayes were authorized to lay out the streets in the Western Addition. There were two brothers of the Goughs, Charley and Harry, who were twins. It was not easy to tell one from the other. They were contractors. Another brother, Thomas Gough, was a lawyer and once District Attorney of San Mateo County. At one time he was a partner of Tully R. Wise, under the firm name of Wise & Gough, in the practice of the law. Another brother, Dorsey, was also a lawyer and was a Deputy County Clerk under Thomas Reynolds. They were natives of Maryland. Thomas and Dorsey were graduates of Dickinson College.

GREEN STREET—After Talbot H. Green, who was elected a member of the Ayuntamiento, or Town Council, August 1849.

LAGUNA STREET—After a lake which once existed near its northern end, about half a mile south of Black Point, and which was known as Washerwomen’s Lagoon, where in early times most of the washing of the people of the city was done by women of various nationalities and Chinamen.

LYON STREET—Was named after General Lyon, who, early in the Civil War, fell in Missouri while bravely leading his troops.

CORBETT AVENUE—Formerly Corbett road, was named after a pioneer family in that neighborhood. John C. Corbett, a son was Deputy County Clerk under Thomas Hayes in 1855-56, and still lives in that locality.