The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Final episode

The final episode of St. Elsewhere, known as "The Last One", ended in a context different from every other episode of the series. As the camera pulls away from snow beginning to fall at St. Eligius, the scene changes to Donald Westphall's autistic son Tommy, and Daniel Auschlander in an apartment building. Tommy is playing with a snow globe. Westphall arrives home from a day of work, and it is clear that he works in construction from the uniform he wears and from a conversation in this scene. "Auschlander" is revealed to be Donald's father, and thus Tommy's grandfather. Donald laments to his father, "I don't understand this autism thing, Pop. Here's my son. I talk to him. I don't even know if he can hear me, because he sits there, all day long, in his own world, staring at that toy. What's he thinking about?" Tommy shakes the snow globe, and is told by his father to come and wash his hands. Donald places the snow globe on the family's television set and walks into the kitchen with Tommy and Auschlander. As they leave the room, the camera closes in on the snow globe. Inside it is a replica of St. Eligius.[3]

The most common interpretation of this scene is that the entire series of events in the series St. Elsewhere had been a product of Tommy Westphall's imagination, with elements of the above scene used as its own evidence.[4][5] One of the results of this has been an attempt by individuals to determine how many television shows are also products of Tommy Westphall's mind because of shared fictional characters: the "Tommy Westphall Universe".

While the series made a habit of incorporating television and film references, the final episode was particularly replete with them. Among them were The Fugitive (Dr. Kimball is said to be chasing a one-armed patient on the loose); The Mary Tyler Moore Show (the famous group hug from that series' finale is reenacted, including the shuffle to the tissue box); M*A*S*H (a patient #4077—Henry Blake—is said to have been injured in an aircraft crash); The Andy Griffith Show (a barber is referred to as Floyd); and the cliché, "It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings" (Dr. Fiscus makes the comment immediately before an injured and obese opera singer dressed as a Valkyrie sings an extended note, ending the hospital story and leading into the Tommy Westphall scene).

The episode's closing credits differed from those of the rest of the series. In all other episodes, the credits appeared over a still image of an ongoing surgical operation, followed by the traditional MTM Productions black-backgrounded logo, featuring Mimsie the cat in a cartoon surgical cap and mask. The final episode's credits appeared on a black background, flanked by an electrocardiogram and other medical equipment, with Mimsie lying on her side at the top of the screen; at the end of the credits, the electrocardiogram "flatlined", indicating Mimsie's death.

The series finale brought in 22.5 million viewers ranking as the seventh most-watched program that week and attracting a 17.0/29 rating/share

long time no post.

however not as long as this person has been an ex. 6+ yrs.

got a lil creeped out when he got 2 tattoos to match after we split.

he will hit me up every yr or so no matter how big of a bitch i am or how straight forward i am about how we dont need to keep in touch

i might even go so far as posting his tattoos he has in the bad tattoo thread.

12oz- bugaboo ex- team commence

steve.

702-426-6571

1337040123.gif

fat

PHAT

Some wurgas just don't know how to live.......

fag

*fixed