The Rebirth of 12ozProphet

misteraven

I've been building with the mods for the last couple weeks. First providing a heads up on that server migration and upgrade and after, on some stuff I'm working on to evolve the 12ozProphet brand, forum and community. I figured I'd take this discussion public, with the hopes that I might be able to get some feedback, insight and assistance from all you guys...

TLDR Version:

There is the biggest forum update in our history coming up next month, that will be the first major step to the rebirth / relaunch of 12ozProphet that will be taking place over the course of this year. I have a lot in motion already and a lot more mapped out that I'm working on, but could use some help in making it happen.

We're also going to relaunch the brand, build a new main website and start promoting the shit out of all of it. If I can pull it together, I'd also love to kick off a podcast.

----------------------

Full Explanation Long Version:

1. More Forum Upgrades:

The forum will be undergoing a massive update, expected at some point in March. This will be the biggest update to the forum software since the very beginning. The software itself has finally evolved to a point where it's no longer chasing social media and trying to compete feature by feature. Seems the world has finally realized we all got fucked... It's almost generally accepted by most that social media has run its course and everyone is wondering what's next. Even people I knew that were champions for social media and quick to claim forums were dead see the algorithms and big data for what it is and are pissed with what we've been left with. I've been beating that drum for a minute, so not at all surprised to see it come full circle. Seems the big brains behind the base software that makes up this forum have finally stepped back and embraced forums for what makes them distinct from social media and have focused on the differences that make forums a unique flavor of online community. The new forum update shows an obvious understanding and focus on building and refining the features that underpin this type of community instead of scrambling to try and copy shit off Instagram or Twitter. The new forum won't feel entirely foreign, but will feel like we somehow skipped many versions forward into the future with how slick it all feels and functions. Obviously this forum is best experienced on a desktop, but does work okay on mobile. The new version will be many times better on desktop and an entire new level as far as mobile. Though this version is adequate on mobile, the new version is designed from scratch to feel like a mobile app with a user interface that is extremely well considered and features, function and user experience that is much more app-like. I will announce a heads up before that update happens, but it's expected sometime probably in the latter half of March.

2. Dedicated 12ozProphet Forum Mobile App:

With the advancements in tech with mobile devices as well as the new forum software, we're finally at a point where it looks like we can actually pull off a dedicated mobile app. I've been running a sort of beta version on my iPhone for about a month and it works about as well as the mobile version of the forum currently. With the massive overhaul of the new forum software we'll be upgrading to next month, that version genuinely feels about as slick as you'd expect for a legit mobile app. @psm026 has told me for years that the biggest reason for the forum dropping off was the dawn of mobile apps. How apps are self contained ecosystem that keeps you boxed into their world and with a compelling reminder to jump in every time you see the icon on your phones home screen. If nothing else, people have been begging me for a 12ozProphet app for at least a decade or longer and it's finally about to happen. Again, we'll announce it as we lead up. In fact, I might run some unofficial beta tests with some of you guys. But this is expected deeper into the year after we've upgraded the forum to the new system.

3. Relaunch of the 12ozProphet Brand:

Most of you guys following along know I launched a screen printing business a few years ago just before the world went sideways with COVID. I documented some of the early days of that in a thread here on the forum. Since then, it's been greatly evolved and now encompasses a pretty big space with a ton of capability and capacity. It's retarded that it took me so long to get back to the 12ozProphet brand, but truth is that it wasn't easy building out that facility and between that and all else I have on my plate, I just fell short. That will be changing very soon and the goal is to not only bring 12ozProphet back with a vengeance, but to treat the facility as a creative studio and spin off all kinds of related and unrelated brands and projects. This facility is perhaps the biggest strategic advantage we have along with the fact that of all the 1990s era brands, very few can point to the love and respect 12ozProphet had plus the fact that we simply never sold out. The integrity and heritage that 12ozProphet represents is something that very few others can claim and between that, our history, experience and talent on top of the strategic advantage of owning a facility like 12ozCollective puts things in a pretty amazing place. Took me many, many years but finally about have my ducks in a row.

4. Relaunch of the main website:

Maybe it can be argued that the forum is the main website, but I've been working on and off to create a main website that covers the basics of communicating who we are, what we've done and what we're doing. I'm not in a position to do all the cool editorial I'd like to do or have the resource to bring back the blog roll (though I have been tumbling that idea in my head). I am in a position to at least create a good landing page, a few key sections to help describe our story and perhaps showcase some of the milestones and projects. It's largely done and will also allow us to create various landing pages and conversion funnels to help everything from recover old forum accounts to helping convince new people on why they should drop off Instagram and share their ideas, experiences and photos on 12ozPorphet instead.

5. Podcast, marketing and promotion (etc):

I've been asked to develop a podcast since just about the time podcasts started. Honestly it's been something that has drifted in and out of my focus and something I feel like an utter dumbass for not having done earlier (along with a decent Youtube channel). Being honest, I'm still struggling on deciding what form a 12ozProphet podcast could take, but I am working on developing the idea. Most likely it'll probably launch as a 12ozCollective podcast first, focusing on creative, production, fashion and culture; but I'm also looking at how the framework I develop (if I proceed with it) can be applied to a 12ozProphet podcast. I have a tendency to over think shit and often take it way too seriously from jump street, which in turn has a tendency to bog things down and become over built and top heavy. I'm trying my best to reign that tendency in and treat it as something just fun and informal. As much a personal diary of sorts or way to think through and workshop up ideas and discussions with interesting people. Then record it, package it and share it. Anyhow, that's the idea and I hope I can pull it off. Unlike the stuff mentioned in 1 - 4, the podcast concept is a "hope to pull off" and not a "dedicated to making it happen". 

Beyond that is the plans to truly start leveraging social media and outreach to start making real noise. I know a ton of people and the people I know, know a ton more. Additionally we have a large, engaged community on here that collectively, probably know just about everyone worth knowing. My hope is that we can work together to mobilize and coordinate on these efforts. To spread the word and help make the case on why it's worth returning and joining our community versus getting taken for granted and taken advantaged of on social media.

----------------------

I know some are likely skeptical we can pull it off. Lord knows I've been trying for pretty much my entire adult life. We've come close a few times, struggled and fell short other times, but the important thing is we have never given up on what this can be. I have never given up on 12ozProphet and I'm hoping I ca count on all you guys to help me keep pushing. Between the grumbling I keep hearing from more and more people about social media and all the strategic advantages I've engineered over the past years, I think the time has finally come.

I'd love to hear feedback from you guys, as well as ideas on how we might be able to take whacks at some of this stuff. 

• Like 2
  • Props 11

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Raven, I am completely stoked on your endeavors.  Congrats on the strive as it seems to being paying off - or as it already had. 

34 minutes ago, misteraven said:

I know some are likely skeptical we can pull it off. Lord knows I've been trying for pretty much my entire adult life. We've come close a few times, struggled and fell short other times, but the important thing is we have never given up on what this can be. I have never given up on 12ozProphet and I'm hoping I ca count on all you guys to help me keep pushing. Between the grumbling I keep hearing from more and more people about social media and all the strategic advantages I've engineered over the past years, I think the time has finally come.

^^ this right here though, is exactly the experiences of entrepreneurial success.  Definitely a "if it was this easy, everybody would he doing it".  

Congrats again on your success and I hope it keeps coming for you.

• Like 1
  • Truth 4

Totally here for it @misteraven- you are on track with all the above imo. I am pumped personally 

Forums are still largely considered to be the primary creation spaces of the internet ie. Reddit/4chan etc. That could be said prior to social media, and has remained a mainstay despite the social media boom. Your comments regarding what psm026 said are super relevant and I think ease of use is crucial to expanding user base especially among young peeps - its boomer as fuck to log on to a web address but we

have been doing it for 20+ years. 

I believe that 12oz particularly the non-graffiti content section can easily draw massive participation. The anonymity aspect of a forum, to whatever degree a user remains anonymous - is a key that social media doesnt have. Irreverent and yet reasonable and all that crazy left/right ultra conservative insanely liberally - somehow we are largely void of which is rare and I am so thankful for. 

This is a good space with a solid history and culture. 

The forum culture here is solid thanks to the sites longevity and the moderation team are all connected well enough that there is a unified effort ie no one power tripping or being divisive. The diversity of the topics in the non graffiti forums is attractive and ever expanding. 

With newer UI developments, the graffiti portion of the forum can relive its prime because its clear to me that a platform like IG has been the largest content source for graffiti photos etc ever but 12oz dives deep into the niche and nuance  elements. Ease of use - regional and themed threads for graffiti content plus the history and hands on info make 12oz a better option imo for those motivated by the sites primary theme. Which is why most of us ended up here in the first place.

The podcast idea is huge - its such a large platform and I think that 12oz can draw some rad interviews considering the graffiti culture, hip hop etc. This avenue might be the biggest way to get to new users and can be done well with good strategic guests. 

Regarding the rebranding and the gear etc - you have consistently put out quality and I will continue to support/cop shit. I think that the shirt/gear game can directly hype the forum aspect where not many other forums I can think of have that going for them. 12oz produces some sick fucking gear.

Just thinking out loud here - but myself and all my homies that know and have used the forum all refer to it as 12oz its never 12oz Prophet unless talking about the mag. 

Only idea I have that just came to me is maybe a sticker series that has a QR code that links to the app or forum - maybe even forum specific. 

The classic 12oz handstyle with a QR for brickslayers. A troll with a 12oz 5 panel on QR link to Channel Zero. Some dripped out design linking to the shop etc A QR on the classic stickers that leads to the App store or whatever etc

And we just fucking plaster them everywhere, the team can help get the info out guerrilla style 

The QR on the Channel 0 shirt is clearly the idea behind this but imo that was ingenious.  

Anyway - sorry for the ADD rant.

I am hyped and will continue to promote/support for sure.

I love 12oz. (that would be a good shirt)

I am willing to take on anything that might be helpful to the process - location SF Bay Area.

Edited by fat ralphy
  • Like 4
  • Props 2

Just a heads up that you'll likely be seeing small tweaks and changes as we lead up to the big forum update I wrote about in the first post. I'll try and follow up in here, when relevant so you guys know it isn't a glitch or oversight.

That said, I just removed a plugin for displaying Groups at the bottom of the forum list shown on the forum index. You can still access groups from the main menu to the left as needed.

• Like 2
  • Props 3

Big ups to you @misteraven

I have thoroughly enjoyed being apart of this community regardless of it only coming up on a year since I had joined. I wish I could say I’d help but I am in no position to do so currently other than speaking the truth and keep coming back to support the forum. 

I did wonder why there wasn’t a mobile version, I used to run TapaTalk on my phone for past forums but the Oontz is just too good to dumb down in TapaTalks weird set they have. 

can’t wait to cop some new merch and witness the birth if your new child you’ve been working so hard on. 

• Like 3
  • Props 2

So sharing a little bit about the beta app as described. To be more specific, it's a PWA (progressive web app) which is sort of just a packaged web app. As you can see from the screen grabs below, it lives on the Home Screen or wherever you decide to organize it on your smartphone. Also, if you enable notifications, it pushes OS level notifications like all other dedicated mobile apps. Anyhow, @LUGR has the distinct honor of sending the very first push notification in the history of 12ozProphet. Considering how much more robust the messenger system is in the new update that's coming, the 12oz app will act as a sort of messenger of sorts, which should be pretty interesting. Obviously, it requires that the users you're messaging are on this platform as well (like any other messenger since open protocols on messengers kinda died out in the early 2000s, but should be really cool and yet another reason for people to migrate back to the forum.

Curious how many of you guys are interested in having a dedicated mobile app for the forum? Perhaps I'll start poll, but for now, let me know what you guys think.

IMG_3105.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

• Like 4

@misteraven- Having known you for quite some time, this stood out for me:

"I have a tendency to over think shit and often take it way too seriously from jump street, which in turn has a tendency to bog things down and become over built and top heavy. I'm trying my best to reign that tendency in and treat it as something just fun and informal."

While I felt that when reading it, I know that it is that overthinking, that attention to detail, and wanting to make something perfect that has made everything you've been part of stand on its own. There is no equal. 

I don't think it's any secret to anyone in this forum, or anyone familiar with just the 12oz Prophet brand, but you have single-handedly shaped how Graffiti books, magazines, websites, and other forums look and feel. Your aesthetic isn't a reaction to what others are doing but more what your heart tells you to do, and I know we all appreciate that level of dedication. I think this is one of the many reasons why 12oz Prophet has always had a loyal following... because we know that even if it takes years for a new drop we are confident that it will be very much worth the wait. If it's a book or magazine or shirt we know that if we don't act as soon as it drops that product will no longer be available due to being sold out. 

I say all that to convey that I will always show support for 12oz Prophet, the forum & website, and the 12oz Prophet Collective. 

Podcast:

There are quite a few Graffiti/writer/artists podcasts out there and they're all basically the same. They interview a well-known writer, dive deep, and keep it about 60-90 long. Granted, there are some that are damn good and I enjoy them but I'd like to see a different perspective. I'm honestly not sure what that perspective is because any writer tuning in to hear what a respected writer has to say is hoping to hear about writing, their history, good stories, etc.. So maybe it's the interviewers that shake up the format? Thinking about podcasts like Smartless where you have three hilarious fellas interviewing their peers (for the most part), and the format is similar to hundreds of others but it's the banter back and forth between the three that is entertaining.

Mobile app:

Curious to see how this affects viewership of the forum. I'm just wondering if not having a mobile app up to this point has been what is keeping folks from coming back. Everyone seemingly lives on their phones, not their laptops/desktops, so I'm hopeful this will increase traffic. 

• Like 4
  • Truth 4
  • Props 1

29 minutes ago, Joker said:

Mobile app:

Curious to see how this affects viewership of the forum. I'm just wondering if not having a mobile app up to this point has been what is keeping folks from coming back. Everyone seemingly lives on their phones, not their laptops/desktops, so I'm hopeful this will increase traffic. 

Since I've been back from my hiatus, I have been checking in solely from my phone and have had zero issues. Or maybe ive been having non stop issues and just don't know it 😂 I just found out a few weeks ago that I don't see people's signatures unless I rock my phone sideways like some kind of cheugy ass boomer.

• Like 3

I do the same @LUGR - that said I would be down to use an app too.

I dont like having to sift through my open tabs on Brave to find oontz, click it with my big ass finger, but its not a huge deal.

@Joker hella true about the podcast - its the banter and humor that make it go.

I just did a little poking around - there are a fuck ton of graffiti podcasts. But I do feel like 12oz has a clout that would easily draw versus some of these that have started from scratch. 

If you did a podcast would you host @misteraven?

10 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

If you did a podcast would you host @misteraven?

Yeah, I’d have to since I don’t have a big team. I’ve considered sort of partnering on it so there’s that chance as well. As mentioned it’ll probably begin as a 12ozCollective podcast and if I can get that sorted out, I’ll take the learnings and general format and apply to a 12ozProphet podcast. To be clear, a 12ozProphet podcast is a bit of a stretch goal for me. The brand will be rebuilt and relaunched with new tees and products for sure, a new website is coming, a massive forum update is coming and almost certainly a dedicated app. I hope to do a podcast, but I have a lot to dial in and get going before I think I’ll have the bandwidth to take it on. Also, I don’t have nearly as clear a vision for that project as I do the rest. I know if I do it, it’ll have a video component. My thought was 1 episode a week that would be a standard interview/ discussion format (think JRE) and maybe 1 episode a week that would be a sort of radio station throw back (guest DJ, good music, and a little discussion, perhaps driven by user submitted questions or call ins). As far as the discussion format, this is tricky in that I can’t see myself doing an entirely graffiti focused discussion. Being honest, I’m not even sure I’m qualified at this point since I don’t track what the youngins are doing very closely these days; I’m just too busy. That and my interests and focus are a lot more diverse (kinda always have been).

Likewise, the 12ozCollective podcast is also not intended to be solely an industry podcast about screen printing / embroidery. The idea with it was to explore all kinds of creative topics, including art, design, fashion, brand building as well as topics related to production. In fact, I could see graffiti occasionally making an appearance in that type of creative conversation. 

I keep leaning towards a 12ozProphet podcast being more of a bootleg JRE that covers the gamut of subjects you see here on the forum… Maybe 33% graffiti, 33% art and culture and 33% channel zero and news / current events. Just not sure if that works and haven’t had time to come up with a better idea that is also authentic to both 12ozProphet and myself. 

• Like 3
  • Props 1

One thing I have surprisingly noticed about the handful of graff podcasts I have listened to is they have really low view numbers. Also, none of them seem to put the whole package together really well. Some have great content, but the audio quality is lacking. Some have great audio quality, but the interviewers are weak. Etc etc. Not a diss just an observation based on my tastes and I def appreciate the work they put in to create something for us to enjoy. I def haven’t explored a ton, just observing the handful I have listened to.

If anybody has some that they feel put it together near 100% proper, post a link for me to check out.

39 minutes ago, LUGR said:

One thing I have surprisingly noticed about the handful of graff podcasts I have listened to is they have really low view numbers. Also, none of them seem to put the whole package together really well. Some have great content, but the audio quality is lacking. Some have great audio quality, but the interviewers are weak. Etc etc. Not a diss just an observation based on my tastes and I def appreciate the work they put in to create something for us to enjoy. I def haven’t explored a ton, just observing the handful I have listened to.

If anybody has some that they feel put it together near 100% proper, post a link for me to check out.

I just bumped a 12ozProphet podcast thread from way back when it was first being considered. Good to review what's already been discussed and I don't want this specific subject to fully dominate this thread, since there's a couple other priorities being discussed here ahead of potentially starting a podcast. I'd love to see that happen, but as stated, it's more of a reach goal for right now. I'm focusing on the brand / website / forum and getting that dialed before stretching myself any further or it'll never get done. That said, I welcome ideas / feedback / discussion in that thread and perhaps if there's enough enthusiasm and support by the community at large, it'll help bump the priority a bit. That and helping me clarify the vision would be a good way in helping make a 12ozProphet podcast a reality.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

33 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I’m getting a 1 in a different font than the  regular 12oz font when I “add to homescreen”. Weird.

You're creating a web clip. That's not what I'm demonstrating up above. Text me and I'll walk you through it.

I'm likely going to start  thread on this in the 12oz Development Group section on how to do this as a beta program before we go full blown App Store / Google Play.

If anyone is interested, message me or try and join that group.